National Register of Historic Places listings in Oregon
The National Register of Historic Places recognizes buildings, structures, objects, sites, and districts of national, state, or local historic significance across the United States. Out of over 90,000 National Register sites nationwide, Oregon is home to nearly 2,000 NRHP listings.
Over one-fourth of the NRHP listings in the state are found in Multnomah County. In turn, the large majority (over 90%) of Multnomah's NRHP sites are situated within the city of Portland.
Current listings by county
The following are approximate tallies of current listings by county.[a]
- Historic preservation
- History of Oregon
- National Register of Historic Places
- List of National Historic Landmarks in Oregon
- Lists of Oregon-related topics
- These counts are based on entries in the National Register Information Database as of April 24, 2008 and new weekly listings posted since then on the National Register of Historic Places web site. There are frequent additions to the listings and occasional delistings and the counts here are approximate and not official. New entries are added to the official Register on a weekly basis. Also, the counts in this table exclude boundary increase and decrease listings which only modify the area covered by an existing property or district, although such increases and decreases carry a separate National Register reference number.
- Several historic resources within Multnomah County are included on multiple area lists:
- Several historic resources in Oregon, mostly of a linear nature, are included on multiple county lists:
- Barlow Road: Clackamas, Hood River, and Wasco
- Columbia River Highway Historic District: Hood River, Multnomah, and Wasco
- Oregon Pacific Railroad Linear Historic District: Jefferson, Linn, and Marion
- Santiam Wagon Road: Deschutes and Linn
- Jacksonville-to-Fort Klamath Military Wagon Road: Jackson and Klamath
- Sumpter Valley Railway Historic District: Baker and Grant
- Union Street Railroad Bridge and Trestle: Marion and Polk
- McKenzie Highway Historic District: Deschutes, Lane, and Linn
- Willamette National Cemetery: Clackamas and Multnomah
- Andrus, Patrick W.; Shrimpton, Rebecca H.; et al. (2002), How to Apply the National Register Criteria for Evaluation, National Register Bulletin (15), National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, retrieved June 20, 2014.
- National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places Program: Research, retrieved January 28, 2015.
- Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, Oregon Historic Sites Database, retrieved July 26, 2014. Note that a simple count of National Register records in this database returns a slightly higher total than actual listings, due to duplicate records. A close reading of detailed query results is necessary to arrive at the precise count.
- "National Register of Historic Places: Weekly List Actions". National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Register of Historic Places in Oregon.|