National Register of Historic Places listings in Ross County, Ohio
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Ross County, Ohio.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Ross County, Ohio, United States. The locations of National Register properties and districts for which the latitude and longitude coordinates are included below, may be seen in an online map.
There are 43 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county, including 2 National Historic Landmarks. Another property was once listed but has been removed.
|||Name on the Register||Image||Date listed||Location||City or town||Description|
|1||Adena (Thomas Worthington House)||November 10, 1970
|Box 831 Adena Rd.||Chillicothe|
|2||Adena Mound||June 5, 1975
|947-999 Orange St.||Chillicothe||Levelled after excavation|
|3||Levi Anderson House||December 12, 1976
|West of Chillicothe on Anderson Station Rd.||Union Township|
|4||Howard Baum Site (33RO270)||August 14, 1986
|South of Bourneville along Paint Creek||Twin Township|
|5||Austin Brown Mound||February 15, 1974
|Near Brown Chapel, northwest of Chillicothe||Deerfield Township|
|6||Buchwalter House-Applethorpe Farm||May 26, 1983
|292 Whissler Rd., north of Hallsville||Colerain Township|
|7||T.C. Campbell Mound||July 15, 1974
|1 mile (1.6 km) southwest of Bainbridge||Paxton Township||Last surviving component of the Trefoil Works; also known as the "Rockhold Mound"|
|8||Canal Warehouse||April 24, 1973
|Main and Mulberry Sts.||Chillicothe|
|9||Cedar-Bank Works||February 15, 1974
|Eastern bank of the Scioto River, north of Chillicothe||Green Township|
|10||Chillicothe Business District||June 11, 1979
|Roughly bounded by Water, 4th, Walnut and Hickory Sts.||Chillicothe|
|11||Chillicothe Veterans Administration Hospital||March 12, 2012
|17273 State Route 104, north of Chillicothe||Union Township|
|12||Chillicothe Water and Power Company Pumping Station||November 15, 1979
|13||Chillicothe's Old Residential District||November 28, 1973
|Roughly bounded by 4th, S. Mulberry, S. Walnut and 7th Sts.||Chillicothe|
|14||Frankfort Works Mound||May 17, 1973
|Western side of Frankfort||Frankfort|
|15||Gartner Mound and Village Site||July 27, 2005
|Along the Scioto River, 6 miles (9.7 km) north of Chillicothe||Green Township|
|16||Grandview Cemetery||December 19, 1978
|240 S. Walnut St.||Chillicothe|
|17||Great Seal Park Archeological District||December 2, 1974
|In Great Seal State Park, 3 miles (4.8 km) from Chillicothe||Springfield Township|
|18||Dr. John Harris Dental School||July 23, 1973
|19||Higby House||November 29, 1979
|South of Chillicothe on Three Locks Rd.||Franklin Township|
|20||High Banks Works||July 16, 1973
|Eastern bank of the Scioto River, southeast of Chillicothe||Liberty Township|
|21||Highbank Farm||October 20, 1980
|Southeast of Chillicothe at 28532 Old U.S. Route 35||Liberty Township|
|22||Hopeton Earthworks||October 15, 1966
|On a terrace of the Scioto River at Hopetown, 1 mile (1.6 km) east of the main Mound City group||Springfield Township|
|23||Hopewell Mound Group||February 12, 1974
|Northern bank of the North Fork of Paint Creek||Union Township|
|24||Kinzer Mound||January 17, 1974
|Address Restricted||South Salem|
|25||Henry Mace House||February 12, 1998
|17380 State Route 104, N.||Union Township|
|26||Mary Worthington Macomb House||April 26, 1976
|490 S. Paint St.||Chillicothe|
|27||McCafferty Run Farmstead||September 3, 2004
|17114 and 17226 State Route 104||Union Township|
|28||Charles Metzger Mound||June 18, 1973
|2 miles (3.2 km) southwest of Yellow Bud, on a hilltop above Deer Creek||Union Township|
|29||Mound City Group National Monument||October 15, 1966
|North of Chillicothe||Union Township|
|30||Mountain House||December 29, 1978
|31||Oak Hill||April 3, 1973
|Dun Rd.||Scioto Township|
|32||Renick House, Paint Hill||May 9, 1973
|17 Mead Dr.||Chillicothe|
|33||Seip Earthworks and Dill Mounds District||August 13, 1974
|Southern side of U.S. Route 50, 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Bainbridge||Paxton Township|
|34||Seip House||May 12, 1981
|345 Allen Ave.||Chillicothe|
|35||South Salem Academy||February 23, 1979
|Church St.||South Salem|
|36||South Salem Covered Bridge||March 4, 1975
|West of South Salem on Lower Twin Rd. across Buckskin Creek||Buckskin Township|
|37||Spruce Hill Works||February 23, 1972
|On a hill overlooking Bourneville||Twin Township|
|38||David Stitt Mound||November 9, 1972
|39||Story Mound State Memorial||March 7, 1973
|East of the junction of Cherokee and Delano Streets||Chillicothe|
|40||Tanglewood||June 20, 1979
|177 Belleview Ave.||Chillicothe|
|41||Vanmeter Church Street House||February 21, 1979
|178 Church St.||Chillicothe|
|42||Anthony and Susan Cardinal Walke House||February 21, 2007
|381 Western Ave.||Chillicothe|
|43||Wesley Chapel||February 2, 1979
|Off U.S. Route 23 at Hopetown||Springfield Township|
|||Name on the Register||Image||Date listed||Date removed||Location||City or town||Summary|
|1||Kendrick-Barrett House||March 14, 1973|
|November 25, 1977||475 Western Ave.||Springfield Township|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Register of Historic Places in Ross County, Ohio.|
- The latitude and longitude information provided in this table was derived originally from the National Register Information System, which has been found to be fairly accurate for about 99% of listings. For about 1% of NRIS original coordinates, experience has shown that one or both coordinates are typos or otherwise extremely far off; some corrections may have been made. A more subtle problem causes many locations to be off by up to 150 yards, depending on location in the country: most NRIS coordinates were derived from tracing out latitude and longitudes from USGS topographical quadrant maps created under the North American Datum of 1927, which differs from the current, highly accurate WGS84 GPS system used by most on-line maps. Chicago is about right, but NRIS longitudes in Washington are higher by about 4.5 seconds, and are lower by about 2.0 seconds in Maine. Latitudes differ by about 1.0 second in Florida. Some locations in this table may have been corrected to current GPS standards.
- "National Register of Historic Places: Weekly List Actions". National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved on December 21, 2018.
- Numbers represent an ordering by significant words. Various colorings, defined here, differentiate National Historic Landmarks and historic districts from other NRHP buildings, structures, sites or objects.
- National Park Service (2008-04-24). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- The eight-digit number below each date is the number assigned to each location in the National Register Information System database, which can be viewed by clicking the number.
- Location derived from its Federal Register notice; the NRIS lists the site as "Address Restricted"
- Adena Mound Archived 2010-08-01 at the Wayback Machine., Ohio Historical Society, 2004. Accessed 2009-10-17.
- Location derived from Mills, William C. Archeological Atlas of Ohio. Columbus: Ohio State Archeological and Historical Society, 1914, pages 71-71A and plate 71. The NRIS lists the site as "Address Restricted".
- Location derived from Ohio Archaeological and Historical Quarterly, vol. 7. Columbus: Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society, 1899, 137. Accessed 2009-10-19. The NRIS lists the site as "Address Restricted"
- Squier, E.G., and E.H. Davis. Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley. Washington: Smithsonian, 1848, page 92 and plate 15.
- Owen, Lorrie K., ed. Dictionary of Ohio Historic Places. Vol. 2. St. Clair Shores: Somerset, 1999, 1214.
- Case, D. Troy, and Christopher Carr. The Scioto Hopewell and Their Neighbors: Bioarchaeological Documentation and Cultural Understanding. New York: Springer, 2007, Appendix 7.1.
- Location derived from the "Indian Mound" marked on USGS maps of Frankfort[permanent dead link]; the NRIS lists the site as "Address Restricted"
- Location derived from Moorehead, Warren King. Primitive Man in Ohio. New York: Knickerbocker, 1892, 145. Accessed 2009-10-20. The NRIS lists the site as "Address Restricted".
- Location derived from this National Park Service document; the NRIS lists the site as "Address Restricted"
- Location derived from this National Park Service webpage; the NRIS lists the site as "Address Restricted"
- Location derived from Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1894, 314. Accessed 2009-10-19. The NRIS lists the site as "Address Restricted"
- Location derived from DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, 77. ISBN 0-89933-281-1. The NRIS lists the site as "Address Restricted".