National Republican Trust Political Action Committee
The National Republican Trust Political Action Committee is a conservative political action committee. According to the group, they are "not an official RNC committee". They describe themselves as "conservative Republicans dedicated to helping restore the GOP to its historic conservative roots by mobilizing like-minded Republicans nationwide."
Carrie Dann, writing for Congress Daily, described the National Republican Trust as an "aggressive fundraising group". National Republican Trust has said that they do not accept money from corporations and rely on small donations from individuals in the $25-50 range.
During the 2009 run-up to the United States Senate special election in Massachusetts, 2010, the National Republican Trust contributed $95,000 to the election of Scott Brown.
On November 1, 2008, just days before the United States presidential election between Barack Obama and John McCain, NBC ran an NRT anti-Obama ad featuring Jeremiah Wright during a broadcast of Saturday Night Live. According to Newsweek, "the ad attacking Obama's former pastor was slick, with much better production values than the crude Reverend Wright videos running on the Internet. But it was too little, too late." Dann reported that the ad cost more than $11 million.
In 2010, NRT produced "Kill Ground Zero Mosque", a 60 second ad "urging Americans to oppose the building of a mosque two blocks from New York's Ground Zero". According to the ad, "On Sept. 11, they declared war against us, and to celebrate that murder of 3,000 Americans, they want to build a monstrous 13-story mosque at Ground Zero." NBC and CBS rejected the ad due to its "vague language".
- Wheeler, Scott. (2010). Shadow Government: What Obama Doesn't Want You To Know About His Czars. Capitol Media Group. ISBN 0615368964.
- TV Networks reject controversial '9/11 mosque' ad. BBC News. July 14, 2010.
- 'Nobel Peace Prize Committee Spreads the Good News That Obama Is the One,' Says National Republican Trust's Wheeler. Pediatrics Week. October 31, 2009, p. 29.
- Dann, Carrie. (May 14, 2009). "PAC Warns GOP Senators Not To Back Next Court Pick". Congress Daily, p. 19.
- "MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Drowning in a Cesspool of Hypocrisy." Biotech Week. August 26, 2009.
- Shear, Michael D. (February 1, 2011). "The Caucus; Massachusetts: Senator May Lose Financial Backer". The New York Times, p. 16; "National groups put funds into Mass. race". USA Today. January 14, 2010, p. 2.
- Briscoe et al. (November 17, 2008). "The Final Days". Newsweek, pp. 111-121.
- "CBS, NBC reject anti-Ground Zero mosque ad." United Press International. July 15, 2010.