National Revolution and Solidarity Day
|National Revolution and Solidarity Day|
|Next time||7 November 2019|
National Revolution and Solidarity Day was celebrated in Bangladesh on November 7, officially till 2007. This commemorates the 1975 uprising formed by the people and soldiers. The uprising, led by Colonel Abu Taher and his political group Jatiyo Samajtantrik Dal, ended the three-day coup organised by Major General Khaled Mosharraf. It helped Major General Ziaur Rahman, founder of Bangladesh Nationalist Party, to grab power.
On this day the first Chief Justice of Bangladesh Abu Sadat Mohammad Sayem was made the President of Bangladesh and Chief Martial Law Administrator (CMLA) by Bangladesh Army and Major General Zia was made Deputy CMLA. Justice Sayem was not elected by Jatiyo Sangshad nor an acting president. Months later Justice Sayem stepped down on health reason, and Zia took the both posts of president and CMLA. Within the next year Major General Zia hanged Colonel Taher, along with several freedom fighters of the Liberation War of Bangladesh of 1971, through hasty military tribunal. This day is in the series of coups and counter-coups those occurred after the Assassination of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the founder President of Bangladesh on 15 August 1975.
November 7 was a national holiday in Bangladesh during the rules of autocrat Lieutenant General Hossain Mohammad Ershad and prime minister Khaleda Zia. In November 2007, caretaker government of Fakhruddin Ahmed scrapped this holiday.
- Military coups in Bangladesh
- Ziaur Rahman
- Abu Taher
- Revolution Day in other countries
- Anti-imperialism solidarity day
- "The shadow of November 7, 1975". The Daily Star. 2009-11-10. Retrieved 2017-09-26.
- "Taher's execution was murder in cold blood". The Daily Star. 2010-11-07. Retrieved 2017-09-26.
- "Strange legacy of Nov 7 | The Opinion Pages". The Opinion Pages. 2013-11-07. Retrieved 2017-09-26.
- "7th November: Freedom Fighter- Soldier Killing Day". Retrieved 2017-09-26.
- Nwanna, Gladson I. (2004). Americans Living Abroad: What You Should Know While You Are There. Frontline Publishers, Inc. p. 343. ISBN 9781890605117.
- "BNP observes 'Nat'l Revolution and Solidarity Day'". The Independent. Retrieved 2017-09-26.