National Savings Certificates (India)
National Savings Certificates, popularly known as NSC, is an Indian Government Savings Bond, primarily used for small savings and income tax saving investments in India. It is part of the postal savings system of Indian Postal Service (India Post).
These can be purchased from any Post Office in India by an adult (either in his/her own name or on behalf of a minor), a minor, a trust, and two adults jointly. These are issued for five and ten year maturity and can be pledged to banks as collateral for availing loans. The holder gets the tax benefit under Section 80C of Income Tax Act, 1961.
The certificates were heavily promoted by the Indian government in the 1950s after India's independence, to collect funds for "nation-building".
Discontinuation of Physical Certificate
The existing system of physical pre-printed certificates for NSC shall stand discontinued w.e.f. 1.4.2016 and shall be replaced by ‘National Savings Certificate' Certificate on electronic mode (e-mode). Till the CBS system transits to that e-mode, banks and post offices may choose to issue a physical certificate recorded on a passbook.
- "Revision in Interest Rates of Small Savings Scemes w.e.f. 1st April 2013" (PDF). New Delhi: Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications & IT. 26 March 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 March 2015. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "10-year National Savings Certificate discontinued". Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "National Savings Institute". National Savings Institute. 2005. Archived from the original on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "All you wanted to know about National Savings Certificates". Money Control. Nov 9, 2012. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "Scrap NSC, Kisan Vikas Patra: RBI panel". The Times of india. Jul 23, 2004. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "Interest on savings schemes cut". The hindu. January 15, 2000. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- "Minister's Call To Save More". Indian Express. Mar 20, 1950. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Savings in India.|