National Securities Depository Limited
|Public sector depository|
|Founded||8 November 1996|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, India |
|G.V. Nageswara Rao, Managing Director & CEO |
National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) is an Indian central securities depository based in Mumbai. It was established on 8 November 1996 as the first electronic securities depository in India with national coverage based on a suggestion by a national institution responsible for the economic development of India .
Although India had a vibrant capital market which is more than a century old, the paper-based settlement of trades caused substantial problems such as bad delivery and delayed transfer of title. The enactment of Depositories Act in August 1996 paved the way for establishment of National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), the first depository in India. It went on to establish infrastructure based on international standards that handles most of the securities held and settled in de-materialised form in the Indian capital markets.
In the depository system, securities are held in depository accounts, which are similar to holding funds in bank accounts. Transfer of ownership of securities is done through simple account transfers. This method does away with all the risks and hassles normally associated with paperwork. Consequently, the cost of transacting in a depository environment is considerably lower as compared to transacting in certificates. In August 2009, number of Demat accounts held with NSDL crossed one crore.
NSDL is promoted by Industrial Development Bank of India Limited (IDBI) - the largest development bank of India, Unit Trust of India (now, Administrator of the Specified Undertaking of the Unit Trust of India) and National Stock Exchange of India Limited (NSE) - the largest stock exchange in India. Some of the prominent banks in the country have taken a stake in NSDL.
- Axis Bank Limited
- State Bank of India
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- Citibank NA
- Standard Chartered Bank
- HDFC Bank Limited
- The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
- Deutsche Bank
- Dena Bank
- Canara Bank
NSDL Group comprises National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), NSDL Database Management Limited (NDML) and NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2015)|
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited (NSDL e-Gov)
NSDL e-Gov was originally set up as a Depository in 1995.
Further, NSDL also has a subsidiary company NSDL Database Management Limited.
NSDL Facts & Figures
As on January 31, 2016
- Number of certificates eliminated (Approx.) : 2,092 Crore
- Number of companies in which more than 75% shares are dematted : 6,268
- Average number of accounts opened per day since November 1996 : 3,590
- Presence of Demat account holders in the country : 89% of all in codes in the country
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
At present the company is associated with Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Vaidyakiya Pratishthan (BAVP), Aurangabad; Borderless World Foundation (BWF), Pune and Nana Palkar Smruti Samiti (NPSS), Mumbai for providing financial assistance for various CSR projects. Under CSR, company supported Borderless World Foundation's Kashmir project Kashmir Life Line  which is the first critical care emergency medical service in Jammu and Kashmir State.
- "DDA scam: Were PAN cards forged?". The Times Of India. 24 February 2009.
- 16 Jun, 2008, 08.50PM IST,PTI (2008-06-16). "NSDL to conduct investor awareness seminars - The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2011-02-12.
- "NSDL". NSDL. Retrieved 2011-02-12.
- "NSDL demat accounts cross 1-cr mark". The Financial Express. 20 August 2009. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Promoters / Shareholders". nsdl.co.in. Retrieved 2009-01-20.