National Security Advisor (India)
|National Security Adviseor of India
Rāṣṭrīya Surakṣā Salāhakāra
|Prime Minister's Office (PMO)|
|Seat||New Delhi, India|
|Appointer||Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC)|
|Inaugural holder||Brajesh Mishra, IFS|
|Deputy||Deputy National Security Advisors (Rajinder Khanna) and (Pankaj Saran)|
|Salary||₹90,000 (US$1,300) monthly|
The National Security Advisor (NSA) (IAST: Rāṣṭrīya Surakṣā Salāhakāra) is the chief executive of the National Security Council (NSC), and the primary advisor to the Prime Minister of India on national and international security. Due to such vested powers, NSA is a prominent and powerful office in the bureaucracy. All the NSAs appointed since the inception of the post belong to the either Indian Foreign Service or to the Indian Police Service.
The National Security Advisor (NSA) is tasked with regularly advising the Prime Minister on all matters relating to internal and external threats to the country, and oversees strategic issues. The NSA of India also serves as the Prime Minister's Special Interlocutor on border issues with China, and frequently accompanies the Prime Minister on Foreign State visits.
The NSA receives all intelligence reports and co-ordinates them to present before the Prime Minister. NSA is assisted by a Deputy NSA. Retired Indian Police Service officer Rajinder Khanna and Indian Foreign Service officer Pankaj Saran currently serve as Deputy National Security Advisers.
List of National Security Advisors
|No||Name||Portrait||Term of office||Background||Prime Minister|
|1||Brajesh Mishra[a]||November 1998||May 2004||Indian Foreign Service officer||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|2||J N Dixit||May 2004||January 2005||Indian Foreign Service officer||Manmohan Singh|
|3||M. K. Narayanan||January 2005||January 2010||Indian Police Service officer|
|4||Shivshankar Menon||January 2010||May 2014||Indian Foreign Service officer|
|5||Ajit Doval||May 2014||Incumbent||Indian Police Service officer||Narendra Modi|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Security Advisors of India.|
- Concurrently served as the 9th Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister of India.
- "Ex-RAW chief Rajinder Khanna appointed Deputy National Security Adviser". Deccan Chronicle. New Delhi. January 3, 2018. Retrieved January 15, 2018.
- "Former RAW chief Rajinder Khanna appointed deputy NSA". Hindustan Times. New Delhi. January 2, 2018. Retrieved January 15, 2018.
- "Former RAW Chief Rajinder Khanna Appointed Deputy National Security Adviser". NDTV. New Delhi. January 3, 2018. Retrieved January 15, 2018.
- "Menon is next NSA". The Hindu. 21 January 2010.
- "Doval named Modi's security advisor". Daily Mail. 27 May 2014.