National Security Advisor (Canada)
The National Security and Intelligence Advisor to the Prime Minister (French: Conseiller à la sécurité nationale et au renseignement auprès du premier ministre) is an associate secretary in the Privy Council Office (PCO) and is responsible for advising the Prime Minister of Canada on security and intelligence matters. The person in this role is supported by the Security and Intelligence Secretariat and the International Assessment Staff.
The current National Security and Intelligence Advisor to the Prime Minister is Greta Bossenmaier, who was previously the chief of the Communications Security Establishment. She was appointed on May 23, 2018, filling the vacancy left when her predecessor, Daniel Jean, retired.
The National Security and Intelligence Advisor has four main responsibilities:
- providing information, advice and recommendations on security and intelligence policy matters to the Prime Minister of Canada;
- co-ordinating members of the security and intelligence community;
- along with the Deputy Minister of National Defence, accountable to the Minister of National Defence for the Communications Security Establishment; and
- overseeing the intelligence assessment function, specifically the production and co-ordination of intelligence assessments for the Prime Minister, other ministers and senior government officials.
- "Organizational structure". Privy Council Office. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Head of Canada's cyber spy agency to become PM's new national security adviser | CBC News". CBC. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- "Daniel Jean, adviser who suggested Trudeau's India trip was sabotaged, retiring". Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- Privy Council Office (2009). . Retrieved February 20, 2009.
- Privy Council Office (2005). Organization Chart. Retrieved July 8, 2005.
- Privy Council Office: Securing an Open Society: Canada’s National Security Policy.
- Privy Council Office: The Role and Structure of the Privy Council Office: Deputy Secretary, Security and Intelligence.
- GlobalSecurity.org: Privy Council Office (PCO) - Canadian Intelligence Agencies
- Canada School of Public Service: National Security Advisor's role in Canada-US Government Collaboration
|This Canadian government–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|