National Security Intelligence
National symbol of Bangladesh
|Formed||29 December 1972|
|Headquarters||1,Segunbagicha, Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|Motto||Watch and Listen for the nation, To protect national security.|
|Parent agency||None (Independent)|
The Directorate General of National Security Intelligence (Bengali: জাতীয় নিরাপত্তা গোয়েন্দা সংস্থা), commonly known as the NSI, is the principal civilian intelligence agency of the People's Republic of Bangladesh (গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাংলাদেশ). The NSI's headquarters is in 1 Segunbagicha, Dhaka, Bangladesh. The NSI is the leading body of the Government of Bangladesh in the field of internal security, counter terrorism, counter intelligence and foreign intelligence. NSI is the largest among the intelligence agencies in Bangladesh, the others being the Directorate General of Forces Intelligence (DGFI), SB, CID, PBI and intelligence directorates of armed and paramilitary forces . The agency stands under the direct authority of the Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
This is an independent civilian intelligence agency. Today, It's internal security functions are similar to the British Security Services, MI5, while the foreign intelligence function does not quite resemble the MI6. Like other intelligence agencies, NSI is believed to have offices in foreign countries, which are based on Bangladeshi diplomatic missions abroad. The NSI also has territorial units in all of the 64 districts of Bangladesh, headed by a Joint Director/Deputy Director.
Being the only independent civilian intelligence agency in Bangladesh, the NSI's principal activities are gathering information about foreign governments, individuals, corporations, political parties, different religious groups; counter-terrorism, counter-intelligence and political intelligence are among its major functions. .
- National Security Intelligence is headed by a Director General (D.G), who is a two-star military officer.The keypost of this organization are Director, Additional Director, Joint Director, Deputy Director and Assistant Director. Some other post are Computer Engineer, Telephone Engineer, Research Officer. Some directorate of NSI are internal, city internal, border, external, security, media wing, training, administration, counter terrorism and intelligence.
- The force is mostly staffed by civil personnel. Officers are recruited by the Prime Minister's Office, Class-1 officers directly recruited by the agency starts with the post of Assistant Director (Grade-9). 
- Officers are also seconded from Bangladesh Police, Armed Forces of Bangladesh, Bangladesh Ansar.
The principal activities of the NSI National Security Intelligence are:
- Gathering information by any or all means about foreign governments, organisations , individuals and politicians; monitor Bangladeshi government officials, political parties, politicians, extremist groups, separatists, religious bodies, unions, popular movements, NGOs and any other group or person who might be relevant to national security;
- Analysing that information, along with intelligence gathered by other Bangladesh intelligence agencies,
- Upon executive orders carrying out or overseeing covert activities overseas, by its own employees,
by members of the military, or by other partner forces.
Human Rights abuses
According to Human Rights Watch's May 2009 issue, during the 2006–08 Bangladeshi political crisis in Bangladesh, the NSI was actively involved in harassment and arbitrary arrest of labour activists.
Aiding Indian Militants
Over the years, NSI has been accused several times of aiding Indian separatists form North-East and Kashmir. Indian government and media has accused Bangladesh for involvement in 2002 attack on American cultural centre in Kolkata. They have also blamed NSI along with DGFI and ISI for several attacks on Assam, Tripura and Bihar. 
10-Truck Arms and Ammunition Haul in Chittagong
Several high ranking NSI officers and field officers were sacked by BNP government after found connected with the 10-Truck Arms and Ammunition Haul in Chittagong case, and were later convicted, who were:
- Former Director General of NSI: Brigadier General Abdur Rahim.
- Former Director: Wing Commander Shahabuddin Ahmed
- Former Assistant Director: Major Liakat Hossain
- Former Field Officer: Akbar Hossain
Killing of Labour Activists
NSI's name had appeared several times during the trial of the mysterious murder of labour rights activist Aminul Islam in April 2012. The only convict, Aminul’s friend Mostafijur Rahman was found a mystery man, about whom no one knew much, who appearantly had a cover job at an EPZ clinic and regularly met with security officers, is believed to be linked with NSI, though the court has not asked the agency for clarification and nor did the prosecution try to bring them, media has speculated such controversies, though denied by the agency. 
- National Committee for Intelligence Coordination
- Directorate General of Forces Intelligence
- Counter Terrorism and Intelligence Bureau
- "জাতীয় নিরাপত্তা গোয়েন্দা অধিদপ্তরের বহুতল বিশিষ্ট প্রধান কার্যালয় ভবনের ভিত্তি প্রস্তর স্থাপন, ভাষণ, মাননীয় প্রধানমন্ত্রী, শেখ হাসিনা (১৭ জানুয়ারি ২০১৫)".
- "প্রধানমন্ত্রী শেখ হাসিনা এনএসআই এর প্রধান কার্যালয়ের ভিত্তিপ্রস্তর স্থাপন অনুষ্ঠানে বক্তৃতা করেন… -The Prime Minister's Office-Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh – প্রধানমন্ত্রীর কার্যালয়-গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাংলাদেশ সরকার".
- Pratidin, Bangladesh. "গোয়েন্দাদের সতর্ক থাকতে বললেন প্রধানমন্ত্রী".
- "৫৬ কোটি টাকায় এনএসআই-এর জন্য বহুতল ভবন".
- Alffram, Henrik (May 2009). "Ignoring Executions and Torture: Impunity for Bangladesh's Security Forces". Human Rights Watch Bangladesh (May 2009): 20.
- "Envoy protests linking Bangladesh to attack".
- "Aminul murder: 'Who is so powerful that they killed Aminul — yet are still untouchable?'".