National Society of Collegiate Scholars
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The National Logo
|Motto||Honor. Inspire. Engage.|
|Formation||April 30, 1994, G.W.U.|
CEO and Founder
|Stephen E. Loflin|
The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS) is a national, non-profit, tax-exempt academic honor society for college students in the United States. NSCS has active chapters at more than 350 colleges and universities in the United States, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, which consists of a body of over one million members as of February 2014.
Chapters engage in community service, and scholastic and social activities. Membership is offered by invitation to first- and second-year college students with GPAs of 3.4 and are at the top 20% of their class.
NSCS was founded in 1994 at George Washington University in Washington, DC, by Steve Loflin, who, at the time, worked in Student Affairs at George Washington University. The first NSCS Convocation Induction was held on the George Washington University campus on April 30, 1994. Loflin founded NSCS to recognize students who performed well academically during their first years in college and to provide members with an opportunity to take a leadership role in an organization devoted to scholarship, leadership, and service.
NSCS places a strong emphasis on integrity and considers it the foundation of its organization. Each year, NSCS designates an I Stand for Integrity Week and, in addition, it offers its members scholarships and awards for professors who encourage integrity in their students.
NSCS offers both undergraduate and graduate scholarships to its members. Scholarships that are distributed include the NSCS Merit Award, GEICO Achievement Award, Induction Recognition Award, Integrity Scholarship, Liberty Mutual Scholarship, NECA Study Abroad Scholarship, NSCS-GEICO Graduate Scholarship, Scholar Abroad Scholarship, Scholar at Sea Scholarship, and Service Initiative Grants.
The National Society of Collegiate Scholars is a member of several organizations, which include the Association of College Honor Societies, the only certifying agency for college and university honor societies in the United States.
Other organizations of which NSCS is a member include the following:
- National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC)
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- National Scholarship Providers Association (NSPA)
- "Internal Revenue Service Online Charity Search".
- Association of College Honor Societies. 2010
- "Community service". Georgia Tech NSCS Community Service. 2009. Archived from the original on March 16, 2008.
-  Archived June 9, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Inspire Integrity Awards Finalists Named". Baylor University. 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- "Finalist Named". The Rebel Yell. 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-22.
- "Scholarships". National Society of Collegiate Scholars. 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-22.
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars official website
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars at Association of College Honor Societies
Association of College Honor Societies