National Sports Day
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
National Sports Day is a public holiday celebrated in various countries to honour the national sports teams and sports traditions of those countries.On this day people from different age groups take a part in sports like kabaddi, marathon, basketball, hockey etc.
National sports day by country
The National Sports Day in India is celebrated on 29 August, on the birth anniversary of hockey player Major Dhyan Chand. This day marks the birthday of Major Dhyan Chand Singh, the hockey player who won gold medals in Olympics for India in the years 1928, 1932 and 1936. He score 570 goals in his career, from 1926 to 1949 (according to his autobiography, goals).
After putting his stamp on international hockey arena, and having served his country to reach its pinnacles of glory multiple times. He is a legendary figure in the Indian and world hockey. The most noted memorials for him is the Major Dhyan Chand Award ,the highest award for lifetime achievement in sports and games in India , and the National Sport day celebrations on his birthday. Major Dhyan chand learnt the game of hockey from his coach Pankaj Gupta. There is no one who has reached his level in hockey. The birth anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand is on 29 August 1905.
In Iran, October 17 is known as Physical Education & Sport day, and from October 17 to 23 the week is named Physical Education & Sport Week. The main goal is presentation of importance of exercise in personal and social life of people and also has been emphasized in article III of the constitution.
Japan's Health and Sports Day (体育の日, Tai-iku no Hi) is a national holiday commemorated in October. It was first held on 10 October 1966, the second anniversary of the opening of the 1964 Summer Olympics held in Tokyo. Since 2000 it has been held on the second Monday of October.
National Sports Day (Malay: Hari Sukan Negara) is a national holiday in Malaysia, held annually on the second Saturday in October, with the main objective of promoting a healthy lifestyle among its population. The first National Sports Day was held in 2015.
National Sports Day is a national holiday in Qatar, held annually on the second Tuesday in February, with the main objective of promoting a healthy lifestyle among its population. The first National Sports Day was held in 2012.
- "Aug 29 is National Sports Day. Did you know?". News 18. Retrieved 2017-08-28.
- DelhiAugust 29, India Today Web Desk New; August 29, 2020UPDATED; Ist, 2020 18:42. "National Sports Day: Rare pictures from 1936 Olympics to celebrate Dhyan Chand's birthday". India Today. Retrieved 2020-08-29.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "PM Modi to Sachin Tendulkar, country remembers hockey legend Dhyan Chand on National Sports Day". The Indian Express. 2020-08-29. Retrieved 2020-08-29.
- Amirtash, Ali-Mohammad (2005-09-01). "Iran and the Asian Games: The Largest Sports Event in the Middle East". Sport in Society. 8 (3): 449–467. doi:10.1080/17430430500249191. ISSN 1743-0437. S2CID 144648919.
- "Health and Sports Day in Japan". www.timeanddate.com. Retrieved 2020-08-29.
- "Health and Sports Day". GaijinPot Study. Retrieved 2020-08-29.
- "Malaysians celebrate National Sports Day | The Star". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2020-08-29.
- Friday, 23 Aug 2019 09:40 PM MYT. "National Sports Day, Malaysia Sports Challenge still in plans for National Sports Month, says ministry | Malay Mail". www.malaymail.com. Retrieved 2020-08-29.
- "National Sport Day in Qatar". Archived from the original on 2016-01-21. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- "Gulf Times – Qatar's top-selling English daily newspaper - First Page". Gulf-times.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-11. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "Qatar Celebrates National Sports Day". Olympic.qa. 2011-12-06. Archived from the original on 2017-09-19. Retrieved 2012-02-14.