National Taipei University of Technology
|National Taipei Institute of Technology (1994 - 1997)|
Motto in English
|Integrity, Humbleness, Proficient, Diligence|
|National Taipei University of Technology|
National Taipei University of Technology (NTUT, Taipei Tech; Chinese: 國立臺北科技大學), a top-ranked public technological university in Taiwan (ranked 12th overall in Taiwan in 2018) , a member of Global research & industry alliance （Gloria）of Ministry of Science and Technology of the Republic of China, is located in the Daan District of Taipei City, Taiwan. The school was established in 1912, as School of Industrial Instruction, among one of the earliest intermediate-higher educational institute in Taiwan. During the post-war industrialization and economic growth era, the school produced some of the most influential entrepreneurs, leaders, educators, and researchers in the science and industrial field, as it is commonly referred to as "The cradle of entrepreneurship"(企業家的搖籃). The university is headed by Dr. Leehter Yao, who serves as the president. It is part of the University System of Taipei, along with National Taipei University and Taipei Medical University. Since 2017, NTUT partners with Massachusetts Institute of Technology with the establishment of City Science Lab @ Taipei Tech.
The university is still a leader in Taiwan in engineering, science, technology, innovation and design. Its comprehensive undergraduate and graduate programs offer degrees in the STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) as well as professional degrees in design, architecture, management, humanities, and social sciences. The long history of Taipei Tech also made it one of the largest alumni bases of any university in Taiwan and across industries.
The school locates in downtown Taipei, in which its campus was divided into three sections during the city's development. The main campus (West, East, and South) in Taipei now only retains 22 acres of area in the central-most part of the city. It sits right next to the affluent Huashan 1914 Creative Park and the Guang Hua neighborhood, also known as the Electric Town of Taipei where people shop computer goods and electronics.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 2.1 College of Electric Engineering and Computer Science
- 2.2 College of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- 2.3 College of Engineering
- 2.4 College of Management
- 2.5 College of Design
- 2.6 College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- 2.7 Teacher Education Center
- 2.8 General Education Center
- 2.9 Physical Education Office
- 3 Architecture & Landscape
- 4 Ranks
- 5 Notable alumni
- 6 Transportation
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The university traces its origins to the establishment of the School of Industrial Instruction (工業講習所) in 1912. This institution underwent several name changes and reorganizations during the Japanese colonial period in Taiwan. By the time the (Nationalist) Republic of China central government was about to settle from the Chinese mainland to Taiwan (as an outcome of the civil war against the Communist regime), this technical institution was renamed Provincial Taipei Institute of Technology (臺灣省立臺北工業專科學校) in 1948, and served as a junior vocational technical college. In 1981, it was renamed National Taipei Institute of Technology (國立臺北工業專科學校), and in the 1990s upgraded its junior college status to that of a university, resulting in the final name change to National Taipei University of Technology (國立臺北科技大學) in 1997. The university currently has 451 full-time faculty members.
The academics of National Taipei University of Technology includes 6 Colleges, 2 centers, and 1 office.
- Dept. of Computer Science and Information Engineering - Bachelor/ MS/ Ph.D Program
- Dept. of Electrical Engineering - Bachelor/ MS/ Ph.D Program
- Dept. of Electronic Engineering - Bachelor Program
- Dept. of Electro-Optical Engineering - Bachelor/ MS/ Ph.D Program
- Institute of Computer and Communication Engineering - MS/ Ph.D Program
- Dept. of Mechanical Engineering - Bachelor Program
- Dept. of Vehicle Engineering - Bachelor/MS Program
- Dept. of Energy and Refrigerating Air-Conditioning Engineering - Bachelor/MS Program
- Institute of Mechatronic Engineering - MS Program
- Institute of Manufacturing Technology - MS Program/Ph.D. Program
- Institute of Automation Technology - MS Program
- Institute of Mechanical And Electrical Engineering - Ph.D. Program
- Dept. of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology - Bachelor Program
- Dept. of Civil Engineering - Bachelor Program
- Dept. of Materials and Mineral Resources Engineering - Bachelor Program
- Dept. of Molecular Science and Engineering - Bachelor Program
- Institute of Biotechnology - MS Program
- Institute of Chemical Engineering - MS/Ph.D Program
- Institute of Civil and Disaster Prevention Engineering - MS Program
- Institution of Engineering Technology - Ph.D Program
- Institute of Environmental Engineering and Management - MS Program
- Institute of Materials Science and Engineering - MS/ Ph.D Program
- Institute of Mineral Resources Engineering - MS Program
- Institute of Organic and Polymeric Materials - MS Program
- Dept. of Business Management - Bachelor/ MBA Program
- Dept. of Industrial Engineering and Management - Bachelor/ MBA/ Ph.D Program
- Institute of Information and Logistics Management - MBA Program
- Institute of Services Technology and Management - MBA Program
- Institute of Industrial and Business Management - Ph.D Program
- EMBA - MBA Program
- International MBA - MBA Program
- Dept. of Architecture - Bachelor Program
- Dept. of Industrial Design - Bachelor Program
- Institute of Innovation and Design - MFA Program
- Institute of Design - Ph.D Program
- Institute of Architecture and Urban Design - MFA Program
- Institute of Interactive Media Design - MFA Program
- International Program in Creative & Sustainable Architecture Studies - Master Program
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Dept. of Cultural Vocation Development - Bachelor Program
- Dept. of English - Bachelor/ MA Program in Applied Linguistics
- Institute of Technological and Vocational Education - MEd/ EdD Program
- Institute of Intellectual Property - MS Program
Teacher Education Center
General Education Center
Physical Education Office
Architecture & Landscape
The Green Gate
The Green Gate, completed in 2010, is one of the University's many efforts in making the campus more eco-friendly. It has won the Special Mention of Green Campus and Most Favorable Online in the 2010 Taipei Landscape Award.
NTUT is ranked 551-600 globally in 2015 and 124th in Asia in 2015 by QS World University Rankings. NTUT is also ranked in the areas of Computer Science and Information Systems and Engineering - Electrical and Electronic. NTUT is ranked in the Top 10% in industry income in 2016 in the world. NTUT is ranked 151-200 in the world by 2016 QS Graduate Employability Ranking.
Cheers Magazine: Top Universities Favored by Employers
- 2007: 9th
- 2008: 6th
- 2009: 9th
- 2010: 9th
- 2010: 8th
- 2009: 9th
Overall Ranking Among Technological Higher Education Institutes
- 2010: 2nd
- 2009: 2nd
- Harlem Yu, Award-winning singer-songwriter and television host
- Lee Shih-chuan, Secretary-General of Executive Yuan (2014-2015)
- Li Kuei-Hsien, Taiwanese author and poet, noted for writing extended verses with Taiwanese Hokkien, was a nominee for the Nobel Prize in Literature by the International Poets Academy of India
- Michio Mado, Japanese poet, received the international Hans Christian Andersen Medal in 1994 for his "lasting contribution to children's literature"
- Peter Chou, Co-founder of HTC
- Shen Jong-chin, Minister of Economic Affairs
- Suhon Lin, businessman and billionaire
- T.H. Tung, Taiwanese businessman and philanthropist, co-founder of Asus and its former vice chairman, and chairman of Pegatron
- Yao Leeh-ter, Political Deputy Minister of Education
- Morin Kaku, Renowned Taiwanese-Japanese architect, lead designer of the Kasumigaseki Building, the first modern office skyscraper in Japan. He later founded the Kaku Morin Group architecture firm, had numerous projects both in Japan and Taiwan
- Robert C.Y Wu, founder of Eslite Bookstore, one of the largest bookstore chains in Taiwan and around Asia
The university is accessible from Zhongxiao Xinsheng Station of the Taipei Metro, a major transfer station for Bannan Line and the Zhonghe–Xinlu Line. The station is also sub-named National Taipei University of Technology (臺北科大) with text styled smaller beneath official station name on station signs.
- "Motto (in Chinese)". NTUT. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "Office of the President". NTUT. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- 葉, 芷妘 (12 June 2011). "百年陰森建築 變身綠色大門". 中時電子報. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- 范, 榮靖 (10 September 2010). "《遠見》104人力銀行 企業最愛研究生大調查". 遠見研究所專刊: 98–103.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Taipei University of Technology.|
- Official website (in English)