National University (Philippines)
|Colegio Filipino (1900-1905)
Colegio Mercantil (1905-1916)
National Academy (1916-1921)
|Established||August 1, 1900|
|Location||City of Manila,
|Campus||Sampaloc District, Manila Baguio City|
|Alma mater song||Adieu Alma Mater!|
|Colors||Blue ‹See Tfm› and ‹See Tfm› Gold|
|Affiliations||PACU, ASAIHL, IAU,|
National University (NU) is a non–sectarian and co–educational institution in Manila, Philippines. It is considered as the first private nonsectarian school in the Philippines. National University, despite its name, is not the country's national university.
It is a pioneer member of the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities. (PACU) Its international affiliations and memberships include the Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning (ASAHIL) and the International Association of Universities (IAU).
National University was established on August 1, 1900 as the Colegio Filipino, an education institution founded by Mariano Fortunato Jhocson on the vision of inculcating among the youth the qualities of competence and leadership, high moral and spiritual values and development of each individual into a total person through an educational process guided by the philosophy of "Dynamic Filipinism." According to Jhocson, this philosophy has as its guiding tenets "the internalizing all that is good in the Filipino people: warmth, hospitality , innovativeness, and a high emotional quotient that has made Filipinos renowned in service oriented industries.”
The school began offering elementary and secondary education, with business courses (i.e. bookkeeping and accounting) were offered thereafter during its first five years. This prompted a name change as it became known as Colegio Mercantil. In 1916, liberal arts courses were now offered and the school became known as the National Academy.
On January 17, 1921, after being granted permission from the Department of Public Instruction, the school became officially known as National University with Senator Camilo Osias installed to become the university's first president. The Colleges of Education and Commerce were opened in the same year. During the following years, the Colleges of Pharmacy and Dentistry were opened in 1922, the College of Engineering in 1925, and the Normal School in 1930,
On January 01, 1998, a disastrous fire razed four buildings of the University – the Main Building, Law and Commerce Building, Elementary Building and the Graduate School Building. The University was able to re-open its doors after three weeks of unrelenting restoration work.
In 2008, the SM Group of Companies acquired majority ownership of the National University. This paved way to the university's modernization efforts, which included the construction of a new campus building, one of the first school buildings in the City of Manila to have escalators.
College of Dentistry Building
The College of Dentistry Building (also known as the Allied Health Building) is a neo-classical 3-storey building located across the main campus building. Built in the 1920s, it is the only building in the NU campus that remained unscathed in the fire that hit much of the NU campus in 1998. It is the university's oldest surviving structure and is considered a heritage landmark in the campus.
Schools and Colleges
National University - Manila
- College of Architecture
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture
- College of Business and Accountancy
- Bachelor of Science in Commerce major in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Commerce major in Banking & Finance
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration major in Financial Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration major in Marketing Management
- Bachelor of Science in Accountancy
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting Technology
- College of Computer Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science major in Digital Forensics
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- College of Dentistry
- Doctor of Dental Medicine
- Dental Hygiene (Pre-Dent)
- College of Education, Arts & Sciences
- Bachelor of Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education major in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Secondary Education major in English
- Bachelor of Secondary Education major in General Science
- Bachelor of Physical Education major in Sports and Wellness Management
- Bachelor of Arts major in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Arts major in English
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- College of Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Sanitary Engineering
- College of Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management
- College of Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- College of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy
- Graduate School
- Graduate School of Education
- Doctor of Education major in Educational Management
- Master of Arts in Education major in Educational Management
- Master of Arts in Education major in Special Education
- Master of Arts in Education major in Guidance and Counseling
- Master of Arts in Education major in Filipino
- Master of Arts in Education major in Social Science
- Master of Arts in Public Administration
- Graduate School of Education
- College of Engineering
- Master of Science in Sanitary Engineering
- College of Engineering
- Nazareth School of National University (Basic Education Unit)
- Grade School
- High School
National University was one of the schools that founded the Philippine National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in 1924. It was one of the three schools that left the NCAA in 1932 and formed a new athletic association named the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) in 1938.
In the UAAP, NU has teams participating in twelve sports out of fifteen, namely; basketball, indoor volleyball, beach volleyball, football, baseball, softball, tennis, table tennis, badminton, fencing, taekwondo and chess.
The university's collegiate men's and women's varsity teams are called the National University Bulldogs and the Lady Bulldogs, respectively. The high school varsity teams are called the Bullpups and Lady Bullpups.
- Fidel V Ramos 12th President of the Philippines, Chief of Staff - Armed Forces of the Philippines
- Joey de Leon - Actor, comedian
- Danny Ildefonso - Professional basketball player and two time PBA Most Valuable Player awardee
- Lordy Tugade - Professional basketball player
- Néstor Vicente Madali González - National Artist of the Philippines for Literature
- Rafael P. Nantes - Licensed Mechanical Engineer, businessman and three-term Congressman and former Governor of Quezon Province
- Capt. Nicanor Faeldon - Philippine Marines officer and one of the leaders of the Oakwood mutiny that exposed the wide spread corruption in the Philippine military. He is an awardee of a Gold Cross Medal, three Military Merit Medals (MMM), five Military Commendation Medal (MCM), a wounded personnel medal, and Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao campaign medals.
- Bernardo M. Vergara - Congressman and former mayor of Baguio City
- Vicente Eusebio - Former Mayor of Pasig City
- Nemesio Yabut - Former Mayor of Makati
- Carlito Pentecostes Jr. - Former Mayor of Gonzaga, Cagayan
- Engr. Mamintal Adiong Sr. - Civil and Sanitary Engineer, former Governor of Lanao del Sur, former Deputy Minister of Public Works and Highways, former DPWH Undersecretary, former supervisor of Marawi Waterworks District and a former international contractor in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Arch. Ruperto C. Gaite - 1st placer in the Architecture Licensure Examinations, former Assemblyman of Makati, former Dean of the Far Eastern University Institute of Architecture and Fine Arts and former National President of the United Architects of the Philippines
- Arch. Norberto Nuke - 1st placer in the Architecture Licensure Examinations, Likha Awardee and former National President of the United Architects of the Philippines
- Arch./Engr. Angel Lazaro Jr. - 1st placer in the Architecture Licensure Examinations (1962), Likha Awardee and former National President of the United Architects of the Philippines
- Arch./Engr. Eric C. Nubla - 1st placer in the Architecture and Sanitary Engineering Licensure Examinations, top ten placer in the Civil Engineering Licensure Examinations, the first Registered Interior Designer of the Philippines, Registered Master Plumber and the first Commissioner of the Professional Regulation Commission
- Arch. Greg Timbol - Architect-Interior Designer, member of the College of Fellows of the United Architects of the Philippines, Founder/President of Architectural Advocacy International Foundation, Inc. (AAIF), Founder of the Philippine Institute of Interior Design ( PIID ), Founder and President of the Filipino Chamber of Small-Medium Business and Industry (PCSBI), Past President of the Chamber of Furniture Industries of the Philippines (CFIP) 
- Arch. Max B. Fajardo Jr. - Author of popular Architecture, Engineering and Construction books being used by Architecture and Engineering students in the Philippines
- Arch. Quintin Estioko Sr. - 2nd placer in the Architecture Licensure Examinations, former Dean and professor of Architecture at the Technological Institute of the Philippines (TIP-Manila) and founding president of the UAP Manila Corinthian Chapter
- Arch. Rozanno C. Rosal - Member of the College of Fellows and former National President of the United Architects of the Philippines
- Arch. Joel V. Rico - Member of the College of Fellows and former National President of the Philippine Institute of Architects
- Engr. Jesus S. Hipolito - 1st placer in the Civil Engineering Licensure Examinations, former National President of the Philippine Institute of Civil Engineers and former Minister of Public Works and Highways
- Engr. Aber P. Canlas - 2nd placer in the Civil Engineering Licensure Examinations, former Assemblyman, former Deputy Minister of Public Works and Highways and former National President of the Philippine Institute of Civil Engineers
- Engr. Demetrio Quirino Jr. - 1st placer in the Civil Engineering Licensure Examinations and founder of the Technological Institute of the Philippines
- Engr. Isidro Cariño - 1st placer in the Civil Engineering Licensure Examinations, former University of the East President and former Secretary of Education
- Engr. Porthos Almajose- Former National President of the Philippine Society of Sanitary Engineers and Chamber of Real Estate and Builders' Association (CREBA).
- Engr. Guillermo Simeon - President and CEO of Enertech Systems Industries, Inc.
- Engr. Alfredo Lagman - founder of Alenaire air conditioning company
- Gen. Francisco S. Bravo (Ret) - 4th placer Sanitary Engineering, former USEC of DENR, former Commanding Officer of 51st PA Engineering Brigade, founder/CEO of Rogenux Construction.
- Engr. William Jacinto Juan - Consistent topnotcher in EE Board Licensure Examinations (1st placer in PEE, 3rd placer in Associate EE, 8th placer in Assistant.EE) and 5th placer in Master Plumber Licensure examinations, National President of Pugad Lawin Phils, founder/CEO & Chief Engineer of Versatech Consultants Inc.
- Engr. Felipe F. Cruz (B.S.C.E.) - Licensed Civil Engineer, construction magnate and founder of F.F. Cruz & Co., Inc. 
- Maria Lourdes Coronacion DMD - 2014 Philippine Dentists Association's President
- Roque Federizon Lee, a.k.a. Roxlee - (creator of Cesar Asar) Filipino animator, filmmaker, cartoonist and painter
- Francisco "Baby" Dalupan - Former basketball coach
- Carlos Loyzaga (NU High School) - Basketball player and former Olympian
- Narciso Bernardo - Basketball player and former Olympian
- Adriano Papa - Professional basketball player and former Olympian
- Chris Bolado - Professional basketball player
- Froilan Baguion - Professional basketball player
- Jonathan Fernandez - Professional basketball player
- Angela Velez - Electrical Engineering graduate, former varsity volleyball player and former actress
- Jestoni Alarcon - Actor
- George Estregan - Actor
- Bobby Ray Parks Jr. - Most Valuable Player, UAAP Season 74 and 75 Senior Division
- Jeth Troy Rosario - MIP Season 77 , UAAP Season 77 Champion Senior Division
- Glenn Khobuntin - UAAP Season 77 Champion Senior Division
- "Brief History". National University.
- "Brief History". National University.
- "Henry Sy buys 60% of National University | News | GMA News Online | The Go-To Site for Filipinos Everywhere". Gmanetwork.com. 2008-08-18. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- "National University - Dentistry".
- PEP.ph. "Our Pal Joey de Leon! | PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz". PEP.ph. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- "Danny Ildefonso Player Profile". PBA-Online!. 1976-12-08. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- "Lordy Tugade Player Profile". PBA-Online!. 1977-12-30. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- "biography". n.v.m. gonzalez. Retrieved 2012-08-27.