National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2015)|
|Motto||Who has taught (writing) by the Pen, has taught Man that which he Knew Not.|
|Chancellor||Senator Wasim Sajjad|
|Rector||Dr.Muhammed Ghulam Haider|
|Registrar||Dr. M. Latif Virk|
|Location||Islamabad, ICT, Pakistan|
|Colours||Blue, White, Green, Amber|
The National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences (Initials: NUCES and FAST-NU) is a private research university and one of the leading technical institutions in Pakistan. It has multiple campuses based in cosmopolitan cities of Pakistan and has distinction of being the first multi-campus university in Pakistan.
The Foundation for Advancement of Science and Technology (FAST) was founded and established by BCCI financier Hasan Abidi that provided a large financial capital for university's purpose to promote research in computer sciences and emerging technologies in 1980. Established in 2000, it is regarded as one of the leading technical universities in Pakistan. It offers a wide range of programs for undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral studies in engineering, management sciences, business administration, humanities, arts and natural and social sciences. It is consistently ranked among one of the leading and top institutions of higher learning in the country, securing its top rank in the computer sciences/IT category by the HEC in 2010.
- 1 Departments
- 2 Campuses
- 3 HEC Ranking
- 4 Degree programs
- 5 PEC accreditation
- 6 Events & Festivals
- 7 Student organizations
- 8 Notable alumni
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
The university has four departments at each of its campuses and one exclusively at the Lahore campus. These are:
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering (Lahore campus)
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Management Sciences
- Department of Humanities and Natural Sciences
HEC has ranked FAST-NU 2nd in Computer Sciences & IT.
The Lahore Campus, on 12.5 acres, is located in Faisal Town in greater Lahore. The campus consists of three blocks, built from brickwork and marble domes. It also has open courts and grounds for outdoor games and recreational purposes
The computing labs consist of database, programming, software engineering, and computer application labs. Latest computers, workstations and services having LINUX and Windows based environments are also readily available for the usage of students. The whole campus is equipped with a Local Area Network and wireless hotspots.
- SOFTEC (Software Exhibition And Competition)
- NUCES ACM Lahore Chapter
- IEEE NUCES Lahore
- Career Counseling Society (CCS)
- NUCES Fun Trekkers (NFT)
- FAST Sports Society (FSS)
- NUCES Media Group (NMG)
- FAST Photography Club (FPC)
- Best Practices - FAST Business Club (FBC)
- VOICE - FAST Lahore Debating Society (FLDS)
- FAST Association of Civil Engineers (FACE)
- Interface - Literary Society
Apart from the first FAST-NUCES campus at Shahrah e Faisal (for graduate studies), the Main Flagship Campus is located on a six acre site in Shah Latif Town on the National Highway, ten kilometers east of Karachi airport. The campus has classrooms, laboratories, auditorium, seminar rooms, and a library. The University labs :
- Communication Lab
- Circuit Analysis Lab
- Physics for Engineers Lab
- Digital Signal Processing Lab
- Analogue and Digital Communication Lab
- Database Lab
- Electro-mechanical Lab
- Electronics Lab
- Embedded System, Robotics and Control Lab
- General Engineering Lab
- General Programming Lab
- Micro Processor and Interfacing Lab
- FPGA Lab
- FYP Lab
A separate Student Activities block includes Cafeteria, Sports Complex for indoor games and a Gymnasium with all modern equipments. In addition to a Mosque, playgrounds for Cricket, a small football ground, Basketball, Badminton, and Volleyball are also available.
To supplement the academic activities of the main campus, there is a City Campus on main Shahrae-Faisal (near Nursery) which houses the Business School and School for Graduate Studies. The purpose-built city campus has classrooms, computing labs and a canteen. The library of the city campus is linked with the library of the main campus. A Seminar Hall with a seating capacity of 175 is available for seminars, lectures and functions. Moreover, it also has the Microsoft Innovation Centre, the first such centre established by Microsoft in Pakistan.
One campus is known as city campus in shahrah -e-faisal that offers BBA courses, MBA courses and some Ms courses, while other campus is known as Main Campus which is located on a six acre site in Shah Latif Town on the National Highway, ten kilometers east of Karachi airport. Main campus offers degree like BS in Computer Science, BS in Electrical Engineering (Electronics), MS in Software Project Management, MS in Computer Networking, MS in Electrical Engineering, MS in Mathematics, PhD in Mathematics, PhD in Computer Science, PhD in Electrical Engineering.
- LLC Language Learning Centre.
- Centre for Research in Ubiquitous Computing.
- Management Science Research Centre.
- Systems Research Laboratory.
The centre encourages faculty and students to take up research and provides them help to access organizational data, support, and other logistics to carry out research activities.
- Volunteer Computing on heterogeneous platforms
- M2M (Machine to Machine Networks)
- Virtual Machine Migration in cloud
- Nano data center selection in cloud
- Fuzzy Clustering using MapReduce
- Lightweight MapReduce
- Cloud Emulator
- Collaborative Computing using smart phones
Peshawar campus was founded in 2001 and today it covers an area of 4 acres. Basic architecture has deep similarities with Islamabad and Lahore campuses. Campus library contains over 6000 books in hard form while soft copies of many books are available on university servers. FAST Peshawar offers Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and Business Administration. Moreover Master's degree is offered in the fields of Computer Sciences, Business Administration and Mathematics.
Faisalabad Campus was founded in 2012 (First Intake In September 2012). It is located between Faisalabad (Textile Hub Of Pakistan) and Chiniot (near River Chenab) having a majestic building colored with culture and technology. Started with schools of Business Administration and Computer Science, School of Electrical Engineering also became of a part of University in 2014. Campus is equipped with 4 Computer Labs, Digital Lab and Circuit Lab.
Following degree programs are being offered.
- Bachelor of Science
- Master of Science
- Business Administration (1.5 years) (not available in Peshawar campus)
- Business Administration (2 years) (not available in Lahore and Peshawar campus)
- Computer Network and Security (Only in Karachi Campus)
- Computer Science
- Civil Engineering (only in Lahore campus)
- Electrical Engineering
- Mathematics (only in Lahore campus)
- Software Engineering (only in Islamabad campus)
- Software Project Management (only in Karachi and Lahore Campus)
Events & Festivals
It consists of different competitions, including
- Software Competition
- Bilal Hashmi Programming Contest
- Engineering Project Competition
- Web and App Development Competition
- Gaming Competitions
- Ideas Xtreme ( Where students from Grade School display their ideas)
- Robo Rumble
ACM ICPC ASIA Lahore Regional
ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest is an activity of the ACM that provides college students with an opportunity to demonstrate and sharpen their problem-solving and computing skills.
The contest is considered to be the "Olympics Of Computer Programming". The ACM-ICPC Asia Regional Contests invite Asian students to meet, establish friendship and promote fair competition in programming. The magnitude of this mega event can be gauged from the fact that the finest students of the computing disciplines at over 2300 universities located in 90 countries across 6 continents participate in this event. About Lahore Site: It is a two-tier contest. The world is divided into six regions and Asia is a region. In Asia there are 17 host sites and the Lahore is one of them. Each site selects one team as winner of the site and will be eligible to participate in the world finals which will be held in June 2015. The winning team of each site is eligible to participate to the world finals. Winning Team may also get travel support from IBM and ASIA Director to participate in the world finals.
ACM Student Chapter
ACM is the world's largest computing society, promoting Technology, computing & student activities with 750+ Student chapters worldwide . NUCES-ACM Student Chapter is the largest Technical society of FAST which was established on 12 April 2001 by Junaid Haroon Siddiqui and Agha Adeel Saadat. The chapter advances the science of information processing.
NUCES-ACM Student Chapter is renowned for organizing highly skilled international, national and local competitions ranging from Programming competitions, Application Development, Graphic Designing, Video Making, Website Animations to as diverse as PC customization, Speed Typing, Quiz Competitions, gaming competitions, short courses, workshops, seminars and LAN Parties for the students throughout the year. It has received participants from most countries in the region, and from all major educational institutions in Pakistan. The Chapter is responsible for sponsoring and organizing all student trips to other educational institutions in the country and abroad. There are 350+ registered members of the society. ACM Student Chapter, FAST-NU Lahore has won the 2013-2014 ACM Student Chapter Excellence Award for outstanding activities out of 750 plus student chapters all over the world. ACM International’s staff and judges were impressed by the work FAST-NU students put forth, and the obvious efforts they have made this year. Award was chosen on the basis of creativity, insightfulness and how well the objectives were fulfilled, as well as for our overall commitment to computing. This achievement has put FAST-NU ACM students’ chapter on the list of best computing societies in Pakistan.
ACM has organised The Coders Cup, SAARC coding competition, Asia cup, ACM ICPC Pakistan, PROCOM & Geek Week etc.
BASF (Business Administration Students' Form)
The Business Administration Students' Forum provides improvement of students with their personal and professional development. It focuses on making students stay at university productive and memorable.
FES (Fast Engineering Society)
FAST Engineering Society is based at the Islamabad Campus. The society is helpful to the newcomers and any student who is interested in curricular activities like speed programming, speed wiring etc.
This student body consists of President, Qamar Shahzad, Vice President,Aurangzaib Khan and General Secretary along with nine clubs' (mentioned below) Coordinators and vice coordinators:
- Adventure Club
- Aeromodelling Club
- Robotics Club
- Event Management
- Electronics Club
IEEE Student Branch
The IEEE Student Branch is an IEEE student entity, under which the university can organize seminars, conferences, congresses, lectures and invited talks of professionals, academicians and researchers. Three independent IEEE Student Branches exist in its three campuses - Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad. IEEE NUCES-Karachi organized IEEE PSC 2007 on 6–7 July 2007, ProCom.Net 2009 on 2 May 2009 and number of seminars and workshops. They also participated in IEEE PSC 2008 on 16–17 August 2008, IEEE KSSC 2008 on 26 December 2008, IEEE PSC 2009 at IEEE SEECS, NUST, Islamabad during 29–31 May 2009 and IEEE PSC 2010 at Usman Institute of Technology, Karachi on 29–31 October 2010. In 2014, FAST-NU Islamabad hosted IEEE WEEK 2014 of Islamabad in which more than 1500 participants participated from all over the Pakistan including students from GIKI IEEE Chapter. Uzair Ahmad Khan from Uzair Photography was the official Photographer of the event.
FASTRising is a group of people (students, faculty members and alumni) from FAST NU, Lahore who believe in the supremacy of law and the rule of meritocracy. They belong to diverse ideological and political backgrounds and have collaborated to form this platform to:
- Strive for the restoration of the constitution as it was in the early hours of 3 Nov 2007
- Raise the level of political awareness of the FAST-NU family members (students, faculty members and alumni)
- Atif M. Memon Associate Professor at University of Maryland . He has been among top 50 software engineers
- Mir Zafar Ali - first Pakistani to win Oscar Award
- Fawad Afzal Khan - Pakistani singer and Actor
- Farhan Saeed - Pakistani singer and owner of Cafe Rock
- Ahmed Ali Butt - Pakistani singer and Actor
- Fakhrul H. Khan (late) - PIA flight Engineer
- Zulfiqar Jabbar Khan- Pakistani Singer & Music Producer
- Foundation for Advancement of Science and Technology (FAST)
- FAST Institute of Computer Science
- Center for Research in Urdu Language Processing
- "Officers of the University". Official Website. NUCES.
- "About FAST & NU". Official Website. NUCES. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- "NU Fast Headquarters". NU Fast Headquarters. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "NU Karachi Campus". NU Karachi Campus. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "NU Lahore". NU Lahore. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Peshawar Campus". Peshawar Campus. Peshawar Campus. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Faisalabad Campus". Faisalabad Campus. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- Headquarters and introduction. "Headquarters and introduction". Headquarters and introduction. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- Google maps. "Address and location of National University of Computer and Emerges Sciences". Google maps. Google maps. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Degree Programmes". Degree Programmes. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- Govt Pakistan. "HEC Listings". Govt Pakistan. Higher Education Commission. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Peshawar Campus of FAST NUCES". FAST-NU. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "Degree Programmes offered at FAST". FAST-NU. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "Awards and Accomplishments".