National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (July 2016)|
|Motto||Who has taught (writing) by the Pen, has taught Man that which he Knew Not.|
|Chancellor||Senator Wasim Sajjad|
|President||Mamnoon Hussain (President of Pakistan)|
|Rector||Dr.Muhammed Ghulam Haider|
|Dean||Dr.Muhammad Ayub Alvi|
|Registrar||Dr. M. Latif Virk|
|Location||Islamabad, ICT, Pakistan|
|Colours||Blue, white, green, amber|
The National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences (Initials: NUCES and FAST-NU) is a private research university in Pakistan. It has multiple campuses based in cosmopolitan cities of Pakistan and has distinction of being the first multi-campus university in Pakistan.
The Foundation for Advancement of Science and Technology (FAST) was founded and established by BCCI financier Hasan Abidi that provided a large financial capital for university's purpose to promote research in computer sciences and emerging technologies in 1980. It was established in 2000. It offers programs for undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral studies in engineering, management sciences, business administration, humanities, arts, natural and social sciences. It is consistently ranked among one of the leading and top institutions of higher learning in the country, securing its top rank in the computer sciences/IT category by the HEC in 2010.
- 1 Departments
- 2 Campuses
- 3 HEC Ranking
- 4 Campus Details
- 5 Degree programs
- 6 PEC accreditation
- 7 Events and festivals
- 8 Student organizations
- 9 Alumni organizations
- 10 Notable alumni
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
The university has four departments at each of its campuses and one exclusively at the Lahore campus. These are:
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering (Lahore campus)
- Department of Management Sciences
- Department of Humanities and Natural Sciences
HEC has ranked FAST-NU second in Computer Science/IT Group.
Apart from the first FAST-NUCES campus at Shahrah e Faisal (for graduate studies), the flagship campus is located on a 6-acre site in Shah Latif Town on the National Highway, thirty kilometers east of Karachi airport. The campus has classrooms, laboratories, auditorium, seminar rooms, and a library.
- Communication Lab
- Circuit Analysis Lab
- Physics for Engineers Lab
- Digital Signal Processing Lab
- Analogue and Digital Communication Lab
- Database Lab
- Electro-mechanical Lab
- Electronics Lab
- Embedded System, Robotics and Control Lab
- General Engineering Lab
- General Programming Lab
- Micro Processor and Interfacing Lab
- FPGA Lab
- FYP Lab
A student activities block includes cafeteria, sports complex for indoor games and a gymnasium. In addition to a mosque, playgrounds for cricket, a small football ground, basketball, badminton, and volleyball are available.
a City Campus on main Shahrae-Faisal (near the Nursery) which houses the Business School and School for Graduate Studies supplements the academic campus. The city campus has classrooms, computing labs and a canteen. The library of the city campus is linked with the library of the main campus. A Seminar Hall with a seating capacity of 175 is available for seminars, lectures and functions. The Microsoft Innovation Center is the first such center established by Microsoft in Pakistan.
One campus is known as city campus in Shahrah-e-Faisal that offers BBA courses, MBA courses and some Ms courses, while other campus is known as Main Campus which is located on a six-acre site in Shah Latif Town on the National Highway, ten kilometers east of Karachi airport. Main campus offers degree like BS in Computer Science, BS in Electrical Engineering (Electronics), MS in Software Project Management, MS in Computer Networking, MS in Electrical Engineering, MS in Mathematics, PhD in Mathematics, PhD in Computer Science, PhD in Electrical Engineering.
- LLC Language Learning Centre.
- Centre for Research in Ubiquitous Computing.
- Management Science Research Centre.
- Systems Research Laboratory.
The centre encourages faculty and students to take up research and provides them help to access organizational data, support, and other logistics to carry out research activities.
- Volunteer Computing on heterogeneous platforms
- M2M (Machine to Machine Networks)
- Virtual Machine Migration in cloud
- Nano data center selection in cloud
- Fuzzy Clustering using MapReduce
- Lightweight MapReduce
- Cloud Emulator
- Collaborative Computing using smart phones
The Lahore campus, on 12.5 acres, is located in Faisal Town in greater Lahore. The campus consists of three blocks, built from brickwork and marble domes. It has open courts and grounds for outdoor games and recreational purposes.
- SOFTEC (Software Exhibition And Competition)
- NUCES ACM Lahore Chapter
- IEEE NUCES Lahore
- Career Counseling Society (CCS)
- NUCES Fun Trekkers (NFT)
- FAST Sports Society (FSS)
- NUCES Media Group (NMG)
- Best Practices - FAST Business Club (FBC)
- VOICE - FAST Lahore Debating Society (VOICE)
- FAST Association of Civil Engineers (FACE)
- Interface - Literary Society
- ASCE-NUCES student chapter (ASCE-NUCES)
- ICE-NUCES Student Chapter (ICE-NUCES)
Islamabad Campus- The main campus
The Islamabad Campus is along the Kashmir highway, spread over 15 acres.
The research projects carried out at the campus range from bioinformatics, agroinformatics, machine intelligence, and neural networks to IT consulting.
- NaSCon (National Solutions Convention)
- FAST Engineering Society (FES)
- FAST Computing Society (FCS)
- Business & Accounting Student Federation (BASF)
- FAST Adventure Society (FAS)
- FAST Islamic Revival Society (FIRS)
- FAST Literary Society (FLS)
Peshawar campus was founded in 2001 and today it covers an area of 4 acres. Basic architecture has deep similarities with Islamabad and Lahore campuses. Campus library contains over 6000 books in hard form while soft copies of many books are available on university servers. FAST Peshawar offers bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and Business Administration. Moreover, master's degree is offered in the fields of Computer Sciences and Electrical Engineering. PhD for the field of Computer Science is also offered in Peshawar campus.
- Call Lab
- Database Lab
- Operating System Lab
- PC Lab
- Microwave Lab
- Electronics Lab
- Digital Signal Processing Lab
- Communication Lab
- Analog Lab
- Machine Lab
- Digital Lab
- FYP Lab
- NUTEC (University Mega Event)
- NUCES ACM Peshawar Chapter
- IEEE NUCES Peshawar
- Microsoft Student Club
- FAST External Event Society
- FAST Software Competition Society
- FAST Sports Society
- FAST Media Club
- FAST Wakeup Society
- FAST Quran Society
Faisalabad Campus was founded in 2012 (first intake in September 2012). It is located between Faisalabad (textile hub of Pakistan) and Chiniot (near River Chenab). Started with schools of Business Administration and Computer Science, School of Electrical Engineering also became of a part of University in 2014. Campus is equipped with four Computer Labs, Digital Lab and Circuit Lab.
The following degree programs are offered:
- Bachelor of Science
- Master of Science
- Applied Linguistics (only in Lahore campus)
- Business Administration (1.5 years) (not available in Peshawar campus)
- Business Administration (2 years) (not available in Lahore and Peshawar campus)
- Computer Network and Security (Only in Karachi Campus)
- Computer Science
- Civil Engineering (only in Lahore campus)
- Electrical Engineering
- Mathematics (only in Lahore campus)
- Software Engineering (only in Islamabad campus)
- Software Project Management (only in Karachi and Lahore Campus)
Events and festivals
- Software Competition
- Bilal Hashmi Programming Contest
- Engineering Project Competition
- Web and App Development Competition
- Gaming Competitions
- Ideas Xtreme ( Where students from Grade School display their ideas)
- Robo Rumble
This year's President was Junaid Zafar and General Secretary Ruknuddin Hamza. Procom entertained over 1300+ Participants from all over Pakistan and was declared as the best edition in the history of Procom.
PROCOM is the yearly flagship event of FAST-NUCES Karachi. It is an educational event which holds competitions in computer science, electrical and electronics engineering, business studies and arts.
PROCOM hosts participants from all over Pakistan and FAST students themselves. Companies also participate ranging from software houses to career counseling firm to engineering giants. Scholars as well as professionals from various fields attend PROCOM as guests, observers and judges to witness the proficiency of the students.
NaSCon is a forum in Computer Sciences where participants from all over the country come to show their skills and test their potential.
NaSCon is one of the events that is organized annually by FAST Islamabad campus since 2001. The event comprises computer science, engineering and business competitions. Teams from all over the country participate. There are also entertainment events.
 NUTEC is a 3-day event organized by the final year students. It was held in 2013 and 2014 but is in idle due to lack of finances.
It consists of the following competitions as per NUTEC'14
- Software Projects Exhibition
- Hardware Projects Exhibition
- On Board Circuit Design
- Speed Programming Competition
- Short Movies
- Business Case Simulation
- Business Plan Competition
- Ad TEC
- Quiz Competition (CS, EE, Management, Math)
- Global Village
ACM ICPC ASIA Lahore Regional
ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest is an activity of the ACM that provides college students with an opportunity to demonstrate and sharpen their problem-solving and computing skills.
The ACM-ICPC Asia Regional Contests invite Asian students to meet, establish friendship and promote fair competition in programming. The finest students of the computing disciplines at over 2300 universities located in 90 countries across 6 continents participate in the event.
About Lahore Site: It is a two-tier contest. The world is divided into six regions and Asia is a region. In Asia there are 17 host sites and the Lahore is one of them. Each site selects one team as winner of the site and will be eligible to participate in the world finals which will be held in June 2015. The winning team of each site is eligible to participate to the world finals. Winning team may also get travel support from IBM and ASIA Director to participate in the world finals.
 URAAN is the one of mega events FAST-NUCES Lahore campus host every year. URAAN is a joint venture by three major Engineering Societies at Civil Department of FAST-NUCES Lahore including FACE, FAST Association of Civil Engineers, ICE-NUCES Student Chapter and ASCE-NUCES Student Chapter. Debut URAAN Event was held in 2015. URAAN 2016 was a major Success too. It is a Three (03) days Event Consisting of Following three Modules.
- Technical Module
- Social Module
- Art and Craft Module
ACM Student Chapter
ACM is the world's largest computing society, promoting technology, computing and student activities with 750+ student chapters worldwide . NUCES-ACM Student Chapter is the largest technical society of FAST which was established on 12 April 2001.. The chapter advances the science of information processing.
NUCES-ACM Student Chapter is renowned for organizing international, national and local competitions ranging from Programming competitions, Application Development, Graphic Designing, Video Making, Website Animations to as diverse as PC customization, Speed Typing, Quiz Competitions, gaming competitions, short courses, workshops, seminars and LAN Parties for the students throughout the year. It has received participants from most countries in the region, and from all major educational institutions in Pakistan.
The Chapter is responsible for sponsoring and organizing all student trips to other educational institutions in the country and abroad. There are 350+ registered members of the society. ACM Student Chapter, FAST-NU Lahore has won the 2013-2014 ACM Student Chapter Excellence Award for outstanding activities out of 750 plus student chapters all over the world. The achievement puts FAST-NU ACM students’ chapter on the list of best computing societies in Pakistan.
ACM has organised The Coders Cup, SAARC coding competition, Asia cup, ACM ICPC Pakistan, PROCOM & Geek Week etc.
BASF (Business Administration Students' Form)
The Business Administration Students' Forum provides improvement of students with their personal and professional development. It focuses on making students stay at university productive and memorable.
c FAST Engineering Society is based at the Islamabad Campus. The society is for any student who is interested in activities like speed programming, speed wiring etc.
The student body consists of Sikandar Baig (President), Shah Muhammad (Vice President), Masood Ul Hassan (Finance Secretary) and Uzair Ahmad Khan (General Secretary) along with other six clubs' (mentioned below) Coordinators and vice coordinators:
- IEEE Club
- Adventure Club
- Robotics Club
- Event Management
- Electronics Club
IEEE Student Branch
The IEEE Student Branch is an IEEE student entity, under which the university can organize seminars, conferences, congresses, lectures and invited talks of professionals, academicians and researchers. Three independent IEEE Student Branches exist in its three campuses - Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad. IEEE NUCES-Karachi organized IEEE NETCOM 2007 on 31 March 2007,IEEE PSC 2007 on 6–7 July 2007, ProCom.Net 2009 on 2 May 2009 and number of seminars and workshops. They also participated in IEEE PSC 2008 on 16–17 August 2008, IEEE KSSC 2008 on 26 December 2008, IEEE PSC 2009 at IEEE SEECS, NUST, Islamabad during 29–31 May 2009 and IEEE PSC 2010 at Usman Institute of Technology, Karachi on 29–31 October 2010. In 2014, FAST-NU Islamabad hosted IEEE WEEK 2014 of Islamabad in which more than 1500 participants participated from all over the Pakistan including students from GIKI IEEE Chapter.
Old Students Association of FAST is primarily Lahore Chapter of Alumni Association. OSAF is an association of ambitious graduates of FAST-NU and the main Objective is to establish an organisation that brings together and fosters a beneficial relationship between the Alumni and the students of FAST-NU.
- Mir Zafar Ali - first Pakistani to win Oscar Award
- Fawad Afzal Khan - singer and Actor
- Farhan Saeed - singer and owner of Cafe Rock
- Ahmed Ali Butt - singer and actor
- Zulfiqar Jabbar Khan- singer and music producer
- Imran Khan- scientist and part of LIGO team 2016
- Adil Ghaffar- co-founder and CEO MageBear Studios, Inc.
- Haider Tanveer- co-founder and CTO TechBazaar.pk
- Ehtisham Ali- co-founder and ex-CEO Income Diaries, Inc.
- Noman Hassan- co-founder and CFO GeekInn, Inc.
- Burhan Rasool- General Manager IT in Punjab IT Board 
- Foundation for Advancement of Science and Technology (FAST)
- FAST Institute of Computer Science
- Center for Research in Urdu Language Processing
- "Officers of the University". Official Website. NUCES.
- "About FAST & NU". Official Website. NUCES. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- "NU Fast Headquarters". NU Fast Headquarters. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "NU Karachi Campus". NU Karachi Campus. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "NU Lahore". NU Lahore. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Peshawar Campus". Peshawar Campus. Peshawar Campus. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Faisalabad Campus". Faisalabad Campus. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- Headquarters and introduction. "Headquarters and introduction". Headquarters and introduction. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- Google maps. "Address and location of National University of Computer and Emerges Sciences". Google maps. Google maps. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Degree Programmes". Degree Programmes. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- Govt Pakistan. "HEC Listings". Govt Pakistan. Higher Education Commission. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Peshawar Campus of FAST NUCES". FAST-NU. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "Degree Programmes offered at FAST". FAST-NU. Retrieved 1 October 2013.