National University of Laos
|President||Prof. Dr. Soukkongseng SAIGNALEUTH|
|Students||26,673 (SY 2005-06)|
|Address||P.O.Box: 7322, Dongdok, Vientiane, Vientiane, Lao PDR|
|Campus||8 campuses, both urban & rural|
|Affiliations||AUN, AUN/SEED-NET, AUF, GMSARN|
The National University of Laos (NUOL) is a university in Vientiane, the capital of Laos. Founded in 1996, with departments brought in from other existing colleges, it is the only national university in the country. The NUOL accepts students from all over Laos, along with a few international students.
The university is a partner of the Greater Mekong Sub-region Academic and Research Network (GMSARN) and ASEAN University Network (AUN).
NUOL was established by merging the higher education institutes which were under the supervision of several ministries into one university under the Ministry of Education in accordance to the Decree Number 50/PM of the Prime Minister of the Lao PDR dated 9 June 1995.
NUOL is a multi-campus structure, with eight campuses including Done Koy campus (Sethathiraj Hospital) scattered within a 30-km radius of Vientiane. NUOL has eleven faculties, a School of Foundation Studies, a Central Library, six centers and a small hospital.
NUOL has played a roles in providing higher education in areas required by the socio-economic development of Lao PDR; performing research in natural and social sciences; preserving the arts, culture and traditions of the nation; and providing academic services to society. It is known for its diversity programs in Bachelor degrees; some Master degree programs are conducted in its academic disciplines, and it is preparing for Doctoral degree programs.
Since the opening of its first academic year on 5 November 1996, the number of students has increased from 8,053 (including 2,170 females) to more than 26,000 in the academic years of 2005-2006. At present, NUOL is accepted as one of the main and important public organization in the Lao PDR; it employs 1,884 teaching and administrative staff (862 are female).
The IT Center of NUOL is upgrading its ICT system in line with the First Development Plan, academic year 2004-2005. The next Development Plan (2005-2010) is under preparation, which includes issues such as the development of the network; Internet services; the application of ICT technology in the teaching-learning activities, research activity as well as the planning and management of NUOL.
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Natural Sciences (FNS)
- Faculty of Letters
- Faculty of Economics and Business Administration
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Laws and Political Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Environment and Development Studies
Membership of organizations
- ASEAN University Network (AUN)
- ASEAN University Network/Southeast Asia Engineering Education Development Network (AUN/SEED-NET)
- Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF)
- Greater Mekong Sub-region Academic and Research Network (GMSARN)
Foreign cooperation and consortia
- International University
- Chulalongkorn University
- Chiang Mai University
- Khon Kaen University
- Kasetsart University
- Thammasat University
- King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang
- Udon Thani Rajabhat University
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- National University of Laos
- Laos cultural profile (Ministry of Information and Culture/Visiting Arts)
- Laoconnection.com - cultural info.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR
- Vientiane Times: the official newspaper
- KPL Daily News Lao News Agency