National Weather Center
|National Weather Center|
The National Weather Center building in 2006
|Address||120 David L. Boren Boulevard|
|Town or city||Norman, Oklahoma|
University of Oklahoma
State of Oklahoma
|Construction started||August 2003|
University of Oklahoma
|Floor area||250,000 sq ft (23,000 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||Beck – LAN/Daly|
|Main contractor||Oscar J. Boldt Company|
The National Weather Center (NWC), on the campus of the University of Oklahoma, is a confederation of federal, state, and academic organizations that work together to better understand events that take place in Earth's atmosphere over a wide range of time and space scales. The NWC partners give equal attention to applying that understanding to the development of improved observation, analysis, assimilation, display, and prediction systems. The National Weather Center also has expertise in local and regional climate, numerical modeling, hydrology, and weather radar. Members of the NWC work with a wide range of federal, state, and local government agencies to help reduce loss of life and property to hazardous weather, ensure wise use of water resources, and enhance agricultural production. They also work with private sector partners to develop new applications of weather and regional climate information that provide competitive advantage in the marketplace.
National Weather Center Partners
The National Weather Center building houses many organizations from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the University of Oklahoma and several other organizations outside the NOAA or OU.
- National Weather Service (NWS)
- Storm Prediction Center (SPC)
- School of Meteorology (SoM)
- Department of Geography and Environmental Sustainability (GEOG)
- Environmental Verification and Analysis Center/Oklahoma Wind Power Initiative (EVAC/OWPI)
- College of Engineering (CoE)
- School of Computer Science (CS)
- School of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE)
- Information Technology
- Integrated Robust Assured Data Services (IRADS)
- Oklahoma Climatological Survey (OCS)
- Oklahoma Mesonet
- Oklahoma Water Survey (OKWS)
- Other (public and private)
- Office of Weather Programs and Projects (OWPP)
- Oklahoma NASA Space Grant Consortium (OSGC)
- Sasaki Applied Meteorology Research Institute
- South Central Climate Science Center (SCCSC)
- United States Department of the Interior Climate Science Centers (South Central Region)
2015 security incident
On the afternoon of April 23, 2015, a car rammed through the gates that protect the loading dock on the building's east side. It drove toward the building before it burst into flames approximately halfway between the gates and the building. Firefighters and a bomb squad were called to the scene. Responders extinguished the fire with no damage done to the building, and the body of the driver, apparently male, was found inside the car.
The University of Oklahoma Police Department stated the incident is being investigated as a suicide. The FBI has joined the investigation. The bomb squad did three controlled detonations in the evening following the incident. The intent of the driver, including whether he only meant to hurt himself or others as well, remains unknown.
- "About". National Weather Center. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "National Weather Center Partners". National Weather Center. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Bergum, Kate; Gorton, Andrew. "OUPD investigating car fire at National Weather Center". The Oklahoma Daily. The Oklahoma Daily. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Fox, Keaton. "Crews, including FBI, continue work at the National Weather Center after man drives through gate. Live report at 9". Twitter. Twitter Inc. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Smith, Rick. "Apparently the bomb squad has done 3 controlled detonations at the NWC tonight. Investigation continues". Twitter. Twitter Inc. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- National Weather Center
- Advanced Radar Research Center
- Center for Spatial Analysis
- OU College of Atmospheric & Geographic Sciences
- Oklahoma Mesonet
- Environmental Verification and Analysis Center
- Natural Hazards and Disaster Research
- Integrated Radar Data Services
- Oklahoma City/Norman National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office
- Oklahoma Climatological Survey
- OU Supercomputing Center for Education & Research
- Radar Operations Center
- Warning Decision Training Branch
- Sasaki Institute