Arise, O Compatriots
National anthem of Nigeria
|Lyrics||John A. Ilechukwu, Eme Etim Akpan, B. A. Ogunnaike, Sota Omoigui and P.O. Aderibigbe|
|Music||Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of B. E. Odiasse|
"Arise, O Compatriots" is the national anthem of Nigeria. It was adopted in 1978 and replaced the previous anthem, Nigeria, We Hail Thee. The lyrics are a combination of words and phrases taken from five of the best entries in a national contest. The words were put to music by the Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of Benedict E. Odiase.
- Arise, O compatriots
- Nigeria's call obey
- To serve our fatherland
- With love and strength and faith
- The labour of our heroes past
- Shall never be in vain
- To serve with heart and might
- One nation bound in freedom
- Peace and unity.
- Oh God of creation
- Direct our noble cause
- And guide our leaders right
- Help our youth the truth to know
- In love and honesty to grow
- And living just and true
- Great lofty heights attain
- To build a nation where peace
- And justice shall reign.
Lyrics in Hausa
- Yaku 'yan Nijeriya ku farka;
- Ku amsa kiran Nijeriya;
- Domin mu taimaki ƙasarmu ta haihuwa;
- Don aiki ga ƙasata cikin soyayya da riƙon gaskiya;
- Domin gudumawar da shuwagabaninmu 'yan kishin ƙasa suka bada;
- kada ta zama a banza;
- Muyi aiki da zuciya ɗaya da girmamawa a gareta;
- Domin ta kasance ƙasa ɗaya mai yanci ga kowa tare da haɗin kai da zaman lafiya.
Lyrics in Yoruba
- Dide eyin ara .
- Wa je-pe Naijiria,
- ka fife sin 'lewa
- pelu okun ati 'gbagbo
- Ki ise awon akoni wa
- ko ma se ja sa-san,
- Ka sin tokan-tara
- ile tominira wa,
- ti alafia so-dokan.
The Pledge is recited immediately after the National Anthem
I pledge to Nigeria my country. To be faithful, loyal and honest. To serve Nigeria with all my strength. To defend her unity, and uphold her honor and glory. So help me God.
- "Nigeria's National Anthem Composer, Pa Ben Odiase, Dies". Gazelle News. 2013-06-12. Retrieved 2013-07-08.