National identity card (Bangladesh)
|National Identity Card (Bangladesh)|
|Issued by||National Identity Registration Wing (NIDW)|
|First issued||22 July 2006|
|Eligibility||18 years of age (Bangladeshi citizen)|
|Expiration||15 years from the date of issuance |
|Smart NID card|
|Key people||Brig. Gen. Sulatnunzzam M. Salehuddin|
|Launched||2 October 2016|
|Budget||৳883 crore (US$100 million)|
The National Identity Card (Bengali: জাতীয় পরিচয়পত্র) or NID card is a compulsory identity document issued to every Bangladeshi citizen upon turning 18 years of age. The NID is a government issued photo ID just like the Bangladeshi Driver's licence, which is also a biometric, microchip embedded, smart identity card. The NID is required by Bangladeshi citizens for multiple essential public services, such as obtaining utility connections, as well as private services, such as opening bank accounts, in Bangladesh. Initially paper based laminated NID cards were issued since 2006. Then the paper based laminated NID cards were replaced by biometric and microchip embedded Smart NID cards for all adult citizens in Bangladesh from 2016 onwards. This was done to ensure security for the card holder as well as prevent counterfeiting and fraudulence. The government provides the Smart NID card free of charge to all adult citizens of Bangladesh.
Biometric identification has existed in Bangladesh since 2006. All Bangladeshis who are 18 years of age or older are issued identity cards and included in a central biometric database, which is used by the Bangladesh Election Commission to oversee the electoral procedure in Bangladesh. Before 2016, only normal identity cards were issued which only included the ID holder's name; father's and mother's names; date of birth; ID number; photo; thumb and index fingerprints; and signature. These paper based laminated NID cards were easy to counterfeit. However, starting in October 2016, they were replaced by biometric, microchip embedded, smart identity cards in order to ensure security for the card holder as well as prevent counterfeiting and fraudulence. The smart NID cards include all ten fingerprints in addition to other biometric and identity information.
Smart National Identity Card
The National Identity Registration Wing (NIDW) of the Bangladesh Election Commission introduced the Smart National Identity Card in October 2016. This card has an integrated circuit embedded in it and it is also known as a "chip-based card" or "smart NID card" in Bangladesh. It is a pocket sized plastic card, almost the size of a credit card, with the embedded integrated circuit storing all the data. To maintain the security of the smart card, twenty-five international certifications and standards have been ensured. Since they are machine readable cards, the smart cards have additional safety measures to prevent forgery. The card holders currently receive twenty-two different types of services including banking, electronic Tax Identification Number (e-TIN), driving license, passport, etc.
The following facilities and services are available to citizens with the Bangladeshi smart NID card:
- Citizens' rights and benefits
- National identity
- Driving license
- Property land buying and selling
- Open Bangladeshi bank accounts
- Account Check
- Bank loan support
- Government pensions
- Government financial aid or support
- BIN facility
- Share-BO account maintainers
- Business trade license
- Vehicle registration
- Insurance schemes
- Marriage registration
- Gas and electricity connections
- Mobile connect
- Health cards
- Bank transactions
- Students' admission facilities
Updating the list of eligible voters is an ongoing process under the election commission. Bangladeshi citizens who have frequently lived in an area and are 18 years or above, but not yet registered as a voter, may register. At the time of enrollment they need following supporting documents in addition to the application form:
- SSC or equivalent certificate
- Birth certificate
- Passport, driving license, or TIN certificate
- Utility bill copy, house rent receipt, or holding tax receipt (as proof of address)
- Citizenship certificate (as applicable)
- Father, mother, husband, or wife's NID bd photocopy
- Recent Color photo with white background.
- http://www.nidw.gov.bd/ValidityNIDReRegistration.php (NIDW) National Identity Registration Wing
- "UIDAI: Contacts". NIDW Development Team.
- "Why you need smart ID card". The Asian Age. Dhaka. 8 October 2016. Retrieved 10 June 2019.
- "PM launches smart ID cards distribution | Dhaka Tribune". Dhaka Tribune. 2016-10-02. Retrieved 2017-02-04.
- "Distribution of Smart NID cards for Bangladesh citizens inaugurated". BdNews24.com. 2 Oct 2016. Archived from the original on 29 March 2019.
- Rahman, Mizan (2 October 2016). "Bangladesh launches smart national ID cards". Gulf-Times. Archived from the original on 17 May 2018.
- "Bangladesh National ID card Checker-Voter ID Card check BD". NID Election News. 2017-01-22. Retrieved 2017-02-04.
- "Election commission bd - National ID Card Information Change and New voter apply". BD Teletalk. 2019-12-22.