List of oldest people by country
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015)|
This is a list of oldest people by country and in selected territories. It includes the individual(s) for each given country or territory who are reported to have had the longest lifespan. Such records can only be determined to the extent that the given country's records are reliable. Comprehensive birth registration largely came into being in the 20th century; reliable records are therefore fragmentary. The earliest comprehensive recordkeeping systems arose in Europe, in countries such as Sweden and the Netherlands. England and Wales in the United Kingdom organised a central recordkeeping system in 1837 which was made compulsory by 1874.
List of oldest people by country
This list comprises longest-lived individuals who were born, are living, or died in each country. Where known, records for both males and females are noted, as are those born in one country who emigrated to another. Multiple entries for a given country and sex indicate that the oldest person is disputed. Entries for living people are rendered in italics.
|Country||Name||Sex||Birth date||Death date||Age|
|Algeria||Anne Primout[a] (died in France)||F||5 October 1890||26 March 2005||114 years, 172 days|
|Émile Fourcade[b] (died in France)||M||29 July 1884||29 December 1995||111 years, 153 days|
|Argentina||Luisa Roncoroni de Bizzozero||F||30 June 1903||1 September 2015||112 years, 63 days|
|Australia||Christina Cock[c]||F||25 December 1887||22 May 2002||114 years, 148 days|
|John Lockett[c]||M||22 January 1891||25 May 2002||111 years, 123 days|
|Austria||Maria Mika[d] (born in the Czech Republic)||F||23 May 1882||17 November 1994||112 years, 178 days|
|Hermine Nistler||F||24 December 1900||13 February 2012||111 years, 51 days|
|Leopold Vietoris||M||4 June 1891||9 April 2002||110 years, 309 days|
|Barbados||James Sisnett[e]||M||22 February 1900||23 May 2013||113 years, 90 days|
|Belarus||Mollye Marcus[f] (died in the United States)||F||18 October 1899||18 February 2011||111 years, 123 days|
|Belgium||Joanna Turcksin-Deroover||F||3 June 1890||6 December 2002||112 years, 186 days|
|Jan Machiel Reyskens[g] (died in the Netherlands)||M||11 May 1878||7 January 1990||111 years, 241 days|
|Jan Goossenaerts||M||30 October 1900||21 March 2012||111 years, 143 days|
|Brazil||Maria Gomes Valentim||F||9 July 1896||21 June 2011||114 years, 347 days|
|Canada||Marie-Louise Meilleur||F||29 August 1880||16 April 1998||117 years, 230 days|
|James McCoubrey (died in the USA)||M||13 September 1901||5 July 2013||111 years, 295 days|
|Chester Pushie||M||24 June 1884||22 July 1994||110 years, 28 days|
|Cape Verde||Adelina Domingues[h] (died in the USA)||F||19 February 1888||21 August 2002||114 years, 183 days|
|Colombia||Daniel Guzmán-García||M||6 February 1897||21 May 2008||111 years, 105 days|
|Croatia||Hermina Dunz[i] (died in Austria)||F||24 February 1898||14 June 2008||110 years, 111 days|
|Czech Republic||Maria Mika[d] (died in Austria)||F||23 May 1882||17 November 1994||112 years, 178 days|
|Marie Bernátková[j]||F||22 October 1857||4 May 1969||111 years, 194 days|
|Denmark||Christian Mortensen (died in the USA)||M||16 August 1882||25 April 1998||115 years, 252 days|
|Johanne Svensson (died in Sweden)||F||24 January 1892||29 May 2003||111 years, 125 days|
|Anne Matthiesen||F||26 November 1884||19 March 1996||111 years, 114 days|
|Georg Ingwersen Jensen||M||14 June 1906||Living||109 years, 168 days|
|Ecuador||María Capovilla||F||14 September 1889||27 August 2006||116 years, 347 days|
|Finland||Maria Rothovius[k]||F||2 October 1887||17 June 2000||112 years, 259 days|
|Aarne Arvonen[k]||M||4 August 1897||1 January 2009||111 years, 150 days|
|France||Jeanne Calment||F||21 February 1875||4 August 1997||122 years, 164 days|
|Maurice Floquet||M||25 December 1894||10 November 2006||111 years, 320 days|
|Germany||Augusta Holtz[l] (died in the USA)||F||3 August 1871||21 October 1986||115 years, 79 days|
|Maria Laqua||F||12 February 1889||9 February 2002||112 years, 362 days|
|Hermann Dörnemann||M||27 May 1893||2 March 2005||111 years, 279 days|
|Greece||Gregory Pandazes[m] (died in the USA)||M||15 January 1873||22 December 1983||110 years, 341 days|
|Ioanna Lambropoulos[m]||F||8 May 1884||2 June 1994||110 years, 25 days|
|Hungary||Elizabeth Stefan[n] (died in the USA)||F||13 May 1895||9 April 2008||112 years, 332 days|
|Iceland||Guðrún Björnsdóttir[o] (died in Canada)||F||20 October 1888||26 August 1998||109 years, 310 days|
|Sólveig Pálsdóttir[o]||F||20 August 1897||28 October 2006||109 years, 69 days|
|Georg Ólafsson[o]||M||26 March 1909||Living||106 years, 248 days|
|India||Lucy d'Abreu[p] (died in the United Kingdom)||F||24 May 1892||7 December 2005||113 years, 197 days|
|Ireland||Kathleen Snavely[q] (died in the USA)||F||16 February 1902||6 July 2015||113 years, 140 days|
|Katherine Plunket[q]||F||20 November 1820||14 October 1932||111 years, 327 days|
|Israel||Maria Pogonowska (born in Poland)||F||30 October 1897||15 July 2009||111 years, 258 days|
|Italy||Emma Morano-Martinuzzi||F||29 November 1899||Living||116 years, 0 days|
|Antonio Todde||M||22 January 1889||3 January 2002||112 years, 346 days|
|Jamaica||Violet Brown[r]||F||10 March 1900||Living||115 years, 264 days|
|Japan||Misao Okawa||F||5 March 1898||1 April 2015||117 years, 27 days|
|Jiroemon Kimura||M||19 April 1897||12 June 2013||116 years, 54 days|
|Lithuania||Ella Ille Rentel[s] (died in Germany)||F||19 May 1852||19 September 1962||110 years, 123 days|
|Mexico||Dominga Velasco (died in the USA)||F||12 May 1901||11 October 2015||114 years, 152 days|
|Moldova||Goldie Steinberg[t] (died in the USA)||F||30 October 1900||16 August 2015||114 years, 290 days|
|Morocco||Consuelo Moreno[u] (died in the USA)||F||5 February 1893||13 November 2004||111 years, 282 days|
|Netherlands||Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper||F||29 June 1890||30 August 2005||115 years, 62 days|
|Jan Machiel Reyskens[g] (born in Belgium)||M||11 May 1878||7 January 1990||111 years, 241 days|
|Jan Pieter Bos||M||12 July 1891||15 December 2002||111 years, 158 days|
|New Zealand||Florence Finch (born in the United Kingdom)||F||22 December 1893||10 April 2007||113 years, 109 days|
|Ethel Booth[v]||F||25 December 1890||18 February 2001||110 years, 55 days|
|Norway||Maren Bolette Torp||F||21 December 1876||20 February 1989||112 years, 61 days|
|Herman Smith-Johannsen (died in Canada)||M||15 June 1875||5 January 1987||111 years, 204 days|
|Peru||Julia Dougherty (died in the USA)||F||20 August 1893||4 December 2003||110 years, 106 days|
|Poland||Rosa Rein[w] (died in Switzerland)||F||24 March 1897||14 February 2010||112 years, 327 days|
|Alexander Imich[x] (died in the USA)||M||4 February 1903||8 June 2014||111 years, 124 days|
|Aleksandra Dranka[y]||F||3 October 1903||29 April 2014||110 years, 208 days|
|Portugal||Maria de Jesus||F||10 September 1893||2 January 2009||115 years, 114 days|
|Augusto Moreira de Oliveira||M||6 October 1896||13 February 2009||112 years, 130 days|
|Romania||Elizabeth Stefan[n] (died in the USA)||F||13 May 1895||9 April 2008||112 years, 332 days|
|Russia||Goldie Michelson[z] (lives in the USA)||F||8 August 1902||Living||113 years, 113 days|
|Andrei Kuznetsoff[z] (died in Finland)||M||17 October 1873||31 January 1984||110 years, 106 days|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||Rosalind Hill[aa] (died in the USA)||F||30 March 1899||18 January 2010||110 years, 294 days|
|Slovakia||Jozef Daniška[ab]||M||3 June 1909||ca. 24 September 2014||104 years, 113 days|
|Slovenia||Katarina Marinič[ac]||F||30 October 1899||2 September 2010||110 years, 307 days|
|Niko Dragoš[ad]||M||27 August 1907||Living||108 years, 94 days|
|South Africa||Johanna Booyson||F||17 January 1857||16 June 1968||111 years, 151 days|
|Spain||María Antonia Castro[ab]||F||10 June 1881||16 January 1996||114 years, 220 days|
|Joan Riudavets||M||15 December 1889||5 March 2004||114 years, 81 days|
|Sweden||Astrid Zachrison||F||15 May 1895||15 May 2008||113 years, 0 days|
|Anders Engberg||M||1 July 1892||6 November 2003||111 years, 128 days|
|Switzerland||Rosa Rein[w] (born in Poland)||F||24 March 1897||14 February 2010||112 years, 327 days|
|Emma Duvoisin||F||5 July 1886||30 September 1997||111 years, 87 days|
|Pierre Gremion||M||5 March 1902||13 February 2012||109 years, 345 days|
|United Kingdom||Charlotte Hughes||F||1 August 1877||17 March 1993||115 years, 228 days|
|Henry Allingham||M||6 June 1896||18 July 2009||113 years, 42 days|
|United States||Sarah Knauss||F||24 September 1880||30 December 1999||119 years, 97 days|
|Christian Mortensen (born in Denmark)||M||16 August 1882||25 April 1998||115 years, 252 days|
|Mathew Beard||M||9 July 1870||16 February 1985||114 years, 222 days|
|Uruguay||Manolita Piña (born in Spain)||F||24 February 1883||11 June 1994||111 years, 107 days|
Territorial and overseas regions recordholders
Below is a list of oldest people in the territories of selected countries. Entries for living people are rendered in italics.
|Country||Territory||Name||Sex||Birth date||Death date||Age|
|Denmark||Faroe Islands||Theodor Thomassen||M||28 October 1908||Living||107 years, 32 days|
|Frederikke Maria Sigvardsen||F||2 July 1875||23 November 1980||105 years, 144 days|
|Greenland ||Agnethe Fencker||F||24 October 1910||April 2013||102 years, 159 days+|
|France||French Guiana||Eudoxie Baboul||F||1 October 1901||Living||114 years, 59 days|
|Guadeloupe||Luce Maced||F||2 May 1886||25 February 2000||113 years, 299 days|
|Martinique||Irénise Moulonguet||F||6 November 1900||28 May 2013||112 years, 203 days|
|New Caledonia||Marie-Louise Lhuillier||F||26 June 1895||28 December 2007||112 years, 185 days|
|Réunion||Julia Sinédia-Cazour||F||12 July 1892||6 October 2005||113 years, 86 days|
|Théophane Rifosta||M||6 September 1889||16 June 1999||109 years, 283 days|
|Saint Barthélemy||Eugénie Blanchard||F||16 February 1896||4 November 2010||114 years, 261 days|
|United States||Puerto Rico||Emiliano Mercado del Toro||M||21 August 1891||24 January 2007||115 years, 156 days|
|Antonia Gerena Rivera (died in the USA)||F||19 May 1900||2 June 2015||115 years, 14 days|
|Ramona Trinidad Iglesias-Jordan||F||31 August 1889||29 May 2004||114 years, 272 days|
- Primout was a native of French Algeria, now Algeria.
- Fourcade was a native of French Algeria, now Algeria.
- Cock and Lockett were born in the former British colony Victoria, which is now part of Australia.
- Mika was a native of Bohemia, which was then a part of Austria-Hungary; it is now located in the Czech Republic.
- Sisnett was born in Barbados, which was at the time of his birth a British colony; now it is an independent country.
- Marcus was a native of Lechovitz, which was then a part of the Russian Empire; it is now located in Belarus.
- Reyskens lived (from 1897) and died in the Netherlands, but kept his Belgian citizenship.
- Domingues was born in Cape Verde, which was at the time of her birth a Portuguese colony; now it is an independent country.
- Dunz was a native of Zagreb, which was then a part of Austria-Hungary; it is now located in Croatia.
- Bernátková was a native of Prague, which was then a part of Austria-Hungary; it is now located in the Czech Republic.
- Finland was then an autonomous part of the Russian Empire.
- Holtz was born in Czarnikau, which was then part of the German Empire; it is now Czarnków and located in Poland.
- Pandazes and Lambropoulos were natives of the Kingdom of Greece; it is now Greece.
- Stefan was born in Siebenbürgen, which was then part of Austria-Hungary. It is now in Romania.
- Björnsdóttir, Pálsdóttir and Ólafsson were born in Iceland, which was at the time of their birth a part of Denmark; now it is an independent country.
- d'Abreu was a native of Dharwar, which was then a part of the British Raj; it is now located in India.
- Snavely and Plunket were born in Ireland, which was part of Great Britain was before the Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921
- Brown was born in Jamaica, then a British colony.
- Rentel was a native of Geldauschinken, which was then a part of the Russian Empire; it is now located in Lithuania.
- Steinberg was born in Kishinev, which was then a part of the Russian Empire; it is now located in Moldova
- Moreno was a native of Spanish Morocco, which was then a part of the Spanish Empire; it is now Morocco.
- Booth was born in New Zealand, which was at the time of her birth a British colony; now it is an independent country.
- Rein was born in Dziećkowice, near Mysłowice, which was then part of the German Empire. It is now in Poland.
- Imich was born in Częstochowa, which was then part of the Russian Empire; it is presently located in Poland.
- Dranka was born in Harklowa, which was then part of Austra-Hungary. Before 1772 and after 1918 it is part of Poland.
- Michelson and Kuznetsoff were natives of the Russian Empire; it is now Russia.
- Hill was a native of Saint Kitts and Nevis, which were then part of the British Leeward Islands.
- Daniška was born in Čierna Lehota, which was then a part of Austria-Hungary; it is now located in Slovakia.
- Marinič was a native of Deskle, which was then a part of Austria-Hungary; it is now located in Slovenia.
- Dragoš was born in Slovenia, then a part of Austria-Hungary.
- Guinness Book of Records, 1978 edition
- Luisa Roncoroni, 110 años de vitalidad
- Young, Robert. "Verified Supercentenarian Cases – Listed Chronologically by Death Date". Gerontology Research Group.
- Ragnarsson, Jónas/Síminn (24 May 2011). "Langelstu Íslendingarnir" (PDF). Kvikmyndir.com. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- Murphy, Cormac (2014-01-10). "Irish woman Kathleen set for record 112th birthday". The Irish Independent. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- "Validated Living Supercentenarians". Gerontology Research Group.
- "Najstarší Slovák dnes oslávil 105. narodeniny". Nováky. 2014.
- Gómez-Redondo, Rosa; García González, Juan M. (2007). "Emergence and verification of supercentenarians in Spain" (PDF). International Database on Longevity. Madrid: National University of Distance Education. p. 166.
- http://www.in.fo/news-detail/news/theodor-thomassen-er-elsti-foeroyingur-nakrantid/ (Faroese)
- "Karl Jákup Sigvardsen 100 ár" (PDF) (in Faroese). FFblaðið. 17 February 2005. p. 20. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- "Gjógv 1916" (in Faroese). gjogv.fo. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "Gjógv Kirkjugarðurin" (in Faroese). gjogv.fo. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "Table: Population July 1st by time, residence, age, gender and place of birth". Statistics Greenland.
- Sommer, Karsten (24 October 2010). "100-års fødselar i Ilulissat i dag" (in Danish). Kalaallit Nunaata Radioa. Retrieved 26 August 2011.