National day of mourning
This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section, please remove this template.
If you are the editor who added this template and you are actively editing, please be sure to replace this template with
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A national day of mourning is a day or days marked by mourning and memorial activities observed among the majority of a country's populace. They are designated by the national government. Such days include those marking the death or funeral of a renowned individual or individuals from that country or elsewhere or the anniversary of such a death or deaths, the anniversaries of a significant natural or man-made disaster occurring either in the country or another country, wartime commemorations, or in memory of the victims of a terrorist attack. Flying a national or military flag of that country at half-staff is a common symbol.
Selected list of figures recognized
- Mohamed Brahmi, Tunisian opposition figure and member of the Tunisian Constituent Assembly was assassinated in front of his house.
- The Father of the State of Bangladesh, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was killed by a group of Bangladesh Army personnel. The officers killed his whole family except his daughters Sheikh Hasina and Sheikh Rehana.
- Victims of the 2005 assassination of Former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri (Lebanon)
- A National Day of Mourning is typically declared for Presidents of the United States, usually on the day of their funerals. Beginning with John F. Kennedy, these days are also considered federal holidays. There was no official day of mourning for Herbert Hoover.
- In the Soviet Union, an official mourning period of several days was declared for the deaths of leaders or former leaders, with Alexei Rykov, Nikita Khrushchev and Georgy Malenkov being notable exceptions after Rykov was executed during the Great Purge and the other two were relegated to obscurity. Khrushchev's death was announced only hours before he was buried without full state honors, while Malenkov's death was announced more than 2 weeks after his death. This custom changed in 1968 when a national day of mourning was declared for Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, the first human to journey into outer space. In the final years of the Soviet Union, official mourning was declared for 2 disasters: the 1988 Armenian earthquake and the Ufa train disaster.
- Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk – First President of Czechoslovakia. National mourning since his death on 14–21 September 1937.
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk – founder of the Republic of Turkey. 10 November is the national mourning day in Turkey, commemorating Atatürk's death on 10 November 1938. Every year at 09:05 on November 10, sirens are heard across Turkey followed by a minute of tribute as well as cessation of most all activity for that duration.
- Charles de Gaulle – Former President of France died on 9 November 1970. Declared national mourning the state funeral on 12 November.
- After the assassination of the Swedish Social Democratic Prime Minister Olof Palme in 1986–Sweden, Cuba, Nicaragua, and Vietnam.
- Iran's 1979 Revolution's leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. Following his death on 3 June 1989, three days of mourning was declared by President Ali Khamenei.
- Leaders Zhou Enlai, Mao Zedong (who was given a national mourning period lasting a week), and Deng Xiaoping–People's Republic Of China
- Yitzhak Rabin, the Prime Minister of Israel who was assassinated on 4 November 1995; a national day of mourning is commemorated in Israel and in various Jewish communities worldwide.
- Emperor Hirohito of Japan, who died in January 1989; national mourning was declared for two days and the day of his funeral.
- Former President of France François Mitterrand died on 8 January 1996. National mourning declared of state funeral on 11 January.
- Indonesian former President Suharto. Following his death in January 2008, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono declared seven days of national mourning and instructed all government officials, embassies overseas, and all Indonesian citizens to fly the Indonesia flag at half-staff in Soeharto's honor from 27 January to 2 February 2008.
- Fascist leader of Spain from 1939 to 1975 Francisco Franco. Twenty days of national mourning were declared following his demise on 20 November 1975.
- Alexander Dubček's death in 1992, at the time he was the chairman of the Federal Assembly of Czechoslovakia
- Former Philippine President Corazon Aquino. Following her death on 1 August 2009, then-President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo declared ten days of national mourning.
- Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua death (mainly African countries)
- Argentinean President Néstor Kirchner (mainly Latin American countries)
- Presidents of Mexico, usually on the day of their funerals (these days are usually considered municipal and religious holidays in Mexico City and federal holidays in the rest of the republic.) Miguel de la Madrid in 2012 was the most recent.
- Dom Mintoff – former prime minister of Republic of Malta died in his home in Tarxien on 20 August 2012. Days of Mourning: Friday 24 August 2012 and Saturday 25 August 2012.
- Meles Zenawi – the Prime Minister of Ethiopia died in a hospital in Brussels on 20 August 2012. 13 days of state mourning was declared.
- Philippine Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo who with 2 others was killed in a plane crash on 18 August 2012. 21 to 26 August were declared days of national mourning in the Philippines.
- Võ Nguyên Giáp – Vietnamese General. Died in military hospital at age 102 on 4 October 2013. 12 and 13 October were declared national mourning days in Vietnam.
- Former President of South Africa and Anti-Apartheid campaigner Nelson Mandela, who died on 5 December 2013. Official days of national mourning in South Africa from 8 December to 15 December 2013.
- Former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, in Singapore, died on 23 March 2015. Official days of national mourning in Singapore was from 23 to 29 March 2015.
- King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia died on 23 January 2015. Three days of mourning were held at Riyadh.
- Former President APJ Abdul Kalam, in India, died on 27 July 2015. Official days of national mourning in India was from 27 July to 2 August 2015.
- President of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov, died on 2 September 2016. Official days of national mourning in Uzbekistan from 3 to 6 September 2016.
- Former President of Italy Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, died on 16 September 2016. Official day of national mourning in Italy on 19 September 2016.
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres, died on 27 September 2016. The mourning period was initially 30 days, as per Jewish custom called shloshim, but was extended by Peres' family due to popular demand from mourners.
- Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej died on 13 October 2016. His funeral took place within a one-year period of mourning.
- Former Cuban President Fidel Castro died on 25 November 2016. Official days of national mourning in Cuba were from 26 November to 4 December.
- Former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Jayalalithaa died on 5 December 2016. National day of mourning on 6 December 2016 by the Government of India. A seven-day mourning period from 6–12 December 2016 was observed by Government of Tamil Nadu, also three day state mourning period from 6–8 December 2016 was observed by Government of Kerala, and Government of Puducherry. One day of mourning on 6 December 2016 was observed by Government of Karnataka, Government of Punjab, Government of Uttarakhand, and Government of Bihar.
- Iglesia ni Cristo Executive Minister Eraño Manalo, (Philippines),
- Sister Lúcia, (Portugal)
- Mother Teresa of Calcutta, (mainly India, Albania, and some Roman Catholic countries)
- Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria (Bulgaria)
- Serbian Patriarch Pavle
- Pope John Paul II, (many countries including Egypt, Hungary, Cuba (three days), Italy, Ireland, Seychelles, Malawi, the Republic of the Congo, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Portugal (three days), Brazil (seven days), Bosnia and Herzegovina, Mexico, Spain, the Czech Republic and Slovenia)
- Venerable Master Yin Shun (Taiwan)
- Israel Kamakawiwoʻole (Hawaii)
- Amália Rodrigues (Portugal)
- Toše Proeski (North Macedonia)
- Chinghiz Aitmatov (Kyrgyzstan)
- Charles Aznavour (Armenia)
- Mihai Volontir (Moldova)
- Karel Gott (Czech Republic)
- Victims of Hurricane Hazel (Haiti, 3 days)
- Victims of the Great Chilean earthquake of 1960.
- Victims of the 1990 20 January Black January Massacre by Soviet Union's Red army (Azerbaijan, Baku)
- Victims of the 1996 Kamianske tram accident (Ukraine, July 3, 1996)
- Victims of the Columbine High School massacre
- Victims of the 1999 Jiji earthquake (Taiwan)
- Victims of the 2000 Kaprun disaster (Austria, 2 days)
- Victims of September 11, 2001 attacks (France, Germany, Republic of Korea, Japan, Bulgaria, Albania, Vietnam)
- Victims of the 2003 Nasiriyah bombing (Italy, May 2, 2003)
- Victims of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami (All parts of the world)
- Victims of the 2004 terrorist train bombing in Madrid, Spain (Spain, and Portugal)
- Victims of 2006 Slovak Air Force Antonov An-24 crash (Slovakia, 19 January 2006)
- Victims of the crash of TAM Airlines Flight 3054 (Brazil, 3 days)
- Victims of the 2007 Greek forest fires (Greece, 1 day)
- Victims of the 2007 Slovenia floods (held 21 September 2007) (Slovenia)
- Toše Proeski's death in a car accident on 17 October 2007 (Macedonia)
- Victims of the fire that occurred on 28 February 2008 and caused 9 deaths on the BDZ Sofia – Kardam night train (Bulgaria, 1 day)
- Victims of the 2008 Cameroonian anti-government protests, called for on 21 April 2008
- Victims of the 2008 Sichuan earthquake
- Victims of Cyclone Nargis in Burma (Myanmar, 3 days)
- Victims of the crash of Spanair Flight 5022 which crashed in Madrid on 20 August 2008
- Victims of the 2008 Kyrgyzstan earthquake
- Victims of the Winnenden school shooting (12 March 2009, Germany)
- Victims of the 2009 L'Aquila earthquake (2009, Italy)
- Victims of the bus accident in Yambol (2009, Bulgaria)
- Victims of the bus accident in Egypt (2009, Serbia)
- Victims of the Užice explosion (2009, Serbia)
- Victims of the Air France Flight 447- which crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on 1 June 2009.
- Victims of the 2009 Republic of Macedonia boat accident on Lake Ohrid (2009, Bulgaria and Republic of Macedonia)
- Victims of the Maguindanao massacre (2009, Philippines)
- Victims of the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 409 (January 2009, Lebanon)
- Victims of the 2010 Haiti earthquake
- Victims of the 2010 Madeira floods and mudslides (February 2010, Madeira, Portugal)
- Victims of the 2010 sinking of the Cheonan on 26 March 2010, and national mourning day of 25-29 April in South Korea
- Victims of the Smolensk air disaster (April 2010, Brazil, Canada, Spain, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Serbia, Slovakia, Turkey, and Ukraine)
- Victims of the 2010 Yushu earthquake
- Victims of the 2010 Dhaka fire
- Victims of the 2010 Yanga train derailment
- Victims of the 2010 Gansu mudslide
- Victims of the 2010 Manila hostage crisis (25 August in Philippines)
- Victims of the Marhanets train and bus collision (2010, Ukraine)
- Victims of the Pike River Mine disaster (2010, New Zealand)
- Victims and damage of the 2010 Israel forest fire
- Victims of the January 2011 Rio de Janeiro floods and mudslides (2011, Brazil, 3 days)
- Victims of the Rio de Janeiro school shooting (2011, Brazil)
- Victims of the 2011 Norway attacks (Norway, Sweden)
- Victims of the 2012 Buenos Aires rail disaster (Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2 days)
- Victims of the 2012 Qafa e Vishës bus accident (Albania, 1 day)
- Victims of the 2012 Northern Italy earthquakes (Italy, 1 day)
- Victims of the 2012 Egyptian–Israeli border attack (Egypt, 3 days)
- Victims of the 2012 East Azerbaijan earthquakes (Iran, 2 days)
- Victims of the 2012 Disaster at the Paraguana Refinery Complex (Venezuela, 3 days)
- Victims of the 2013 Houphouët-Boigny stampede (Ivory Coast, 3 days)
- Victims of the 2013 Santa Maria nightclub fire (Brazil, 3 days)
- Victims of the 2013 Pemex Executive Tower explosion (Mexico, 3 days)
- Victims of the 2013 Bulgarian protests against the first Borisov cabinet (Bulgaria, 1 day)
- Victims of the 2013 Santiago de Compostela derailment (Spain, 3 day)
- Victims of Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)
- Victims of the 2013 Sardinia floods (22 November 2013, Italy, 1 day)
- Victims of the 2013 Zolitūde shopping centre roof collapse (Latvia, together with Estonia and Lithuania)
- Victims of the 2014 Soma mine disaster (Turkey, 3 days; Northern Cyprus, 2 days; Pakistan, 1 day)
- Victims of the 2014 Southeast Europe floods (Serbia, 3 days; Bosnia and Herzegovina, 1 day)
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|United States||1865||1||Assassination of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln||A National Day of Mourning was held on June 1.|
|Netherlands||1890||1||Death of King William III|||
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|Soviet Union||1924||1||Death of Soviet leader Vladimir Lenin|||
|Second Polish Republic||1924||At least 1||Death of former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson||Wilson called for an independent Polish state in his 1918 Fourteen Points statement.|
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|Netherlands||1934||1||Death of former Queen consort Emma|||
|Second Polish Republic||1934||1||Assassination of Interior Minister Bronisław Pieracki||Public shows, concerts, and games were suspended.|
|Netherlands||1934||1||Death of Duke Henry, prince consort|||
|Second Polish Republic||1935||3||Death of Polish statesman Józef Piłsudski|||
|Second Polish Republic||1938||At least 1||Death of Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Lviv Józef Teodorowicz|||
|Holy See||1939||9||Death of Pope Pius XI|||
|Kingdom of Italy||1|||
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|Polish government-in-exile||1943||26||Death of Polish Prime Minister-in-Exile Władysław Sikorski||It was the longest period of mourning in Poland's history.|
|Polish government-in-exile||1944||15||Collapse of the Warsaw Uprising|||
|United States||1945||1||Death of U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt|||
|India||1948||13||Assassination of Mahatma Gandhi|||
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|United Kingdom||1952||9||Death of King George VI|
|Argentina||1952||30||Death of First Ladies Argentina Eva Perón|||
|Netherlands||1953||1||Victims of the North Sea flood of 1953 (watersnoodramp)|||
|Soviet Union||1953||4||Death of Soviet leader Joseph Stalin|||
|Poland||1||Entertainment venues were closed.|
|Poland||1956||4||Death of former President Bolesław Bierut|||
|Belgium||1956||1||Victims of the Marcinelle mining disaster|||
|Holy See||1958||9||Death of Pope Pius XII|||
|Italy||3||Schools and places of entertainment were closed.|
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|Netherlands||1962||1||Death of former Queen Wilhelmina|||
|Holy See||1963||9||Death of Pope John XXIII|||
|Cuba||1963||3||Victims of Hurricane Flora|||
|United States||1963||1||Assassination of U.S. President John F. Kennedy|||
|Bulgaria||1964||3||Death of head of state and chairman of the presidium of the national assembly of Bulgaria Dimitar Ganev|||
|India||1964||12||Death of Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru|||
|Poland||1964||4||Death of Polish head of state Aleksander Zawadzki|||
|United Kingdom||1965||3||Death of former Prime Minister Winston Churchill||As of 2020, this was the last time official mourning was declared in the UK.|
|Belgium||1967||1||Victims of the L'Innovation Department Store fire|||
|Cuba||1967||3||Death of Che Guevara|||
|Soviet Union||1968||1||Death of Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin||This was the 1st time in Soviet history that a day of mourning was declared for someone who was not a head of state.|
|United States||1968||1||Assassination of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.|||
|United States||1968||1||Assassination of U.S. presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy|||
|United States||1969||1||Death of former U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower|||
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|Egypt||1970||40||Death of President Egypt Gamal Abdel Nasser|||
|United States||1972||1||Death of former U.S. President Harry S. Truman|||
|United States||1973||1||Death of former U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson|||
|France||1974||1||Death of President of France Georges Pompidou|||
|Argentina||1974||3||Death of President Argentina Juan Perón|
|Holy See||1978||9||Death of Pope Paul VI|||
|Holy See||1978||9||Death of Pope John Paul I|||
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|Poland||1981||4||Death of Primate of Poland Stefan Wyszyński|||
|Egypt||1981||40||Assassination of President Anwar Sadat|||
|Soviet Union||1982||4||Death of Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev|||
|United States||1983||1||Victims of the shootdown of Korean Air Lines Flight 007 over the Sea of Japan|||
|Soviet Union||1984||4||Death of Soviet leader Yuri Andropov|||
|Guinea||1984||40||Death of President Ahmed Sékou Touré|||
|India||1984||13||Assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi|||
|Soviet Union||1985||3||Death of Soviet leader Konstantin Chernenko|||
|United States||1987||1||Victims of the USS Stark incident|||
|Soviet Union||1988||1||Victims of the 1988 Armenian earthquake||This was the 1st time in Soviet history that a day of mourning was declared for a disaster.|
|Soviet Union||1989||1||Victims of the Ufa train disaster|||
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|Belgium||1993||9||Death of King Baudouin of Belgium|||
|Russia||1993||1||Victims of the 1993 Russian coup attempt|||
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||1994||1||Victims of the Markale massacres|||
|Belgium||1994||1||The killing of 10 Belgian soldiers during the Rwandan Civil War|||
|United States||1994||1||Death of former U.S. President Richard Nixon|||
|Brazil||1994||3||Death of Formula One driver Ayrton Senna|||
|North Korea||1994||10||Death of North Korean President Kim Il-sung||Official mourning period.|
|1994-97||1,097||Total mourning period.|
|United States||1995||1||Victims of the Oklahoma City bombing|||
|Russia||1995||1||Victims of the 1995 Neftegorsk earthquake|||
|Russia||1995||1||Victims of the Budyonnovsk hospital hostage crisis|||
|Russia||1996||1||Victims of the "terrorist attack against government agencies and residents" during the Battle of Grozny|||
|Russia||1996||1||Victims of the 1996 Rostov Oblast bus-train crash (ru)|||
|Russia||1996||1||Victims of the Kaspiysk apartment building bombing (ru)|||
|Poland||1997||1||Victims of the 1997 Central European flood||Also known as the Millennium Flood in Poland.|
|United Kingdom||1997||1||Death of Diana, Princess of Wales||While not an official day of mourning, the Saturday of Diana's funeral brought the UK close to a standstill. Shops and banks were closed, sports events were postponed, and theatre and cinema showings were canceled.|
|Russia||1997||1||Victims of a mine accident in Kemerovo Oblast|||
|Russia||1999||1||Victims of the Samara police department fire (ru)|||
|Russia||1999||1||Victims of the 1999 Vladikavkaz bombing and a fire at a psychiatric hospital|||
|Russia||1999||1||Victims of the Russian apartment bombings|||
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|Russia||2000||1||Victims of the Kursk submarine disaster|||
|Russia||2001||1||Victims of the crash of Vladivostok Air Flight 352|||
|United States||2001||1||Victims of the September 11 attacks||President George W. Bush proclaimed September 14, 2001, a "National Day of Prayer and Remembrance."|
|European Union||EU leaders declared 14 September a European Day of Mourning across all member states. Citizens were asked to observe 3 minutes of silence at midday CET.|
|Ireland||Schools and businesses were closed across the country and all sports, public functions and entertainment were canceled.|
|Poland||3||Several Polish citizens were among those killed.|
|Russia||2002||1||Victims of the 2002 Khankala Mi-26 crash|||
|Russia||2002||1||Victims of the Moscow theater hostage crisis|||
|Poland||2004||2||Victims of the 2004 Madrid train bombings||4 Polish citizens were among those killed.|
|United States||2004||1||Death of former U.S. President Ronald Reagan|||
|Belgium||2004||1||Victims of an explosion at an industrial park in Ath|||
|Paraguay||2004||3||Victims of the Ycuá Bolaños supermarket fire|||
|Russia||2004||1||Victims of the 2004 Russian aircraft bombings|||
|Russia||2004||2||Victims of the Beslan school siege|||
|Palestine||2004||40||Death of PNA President Yasser Arafat|||
|Poland||2005||1||Victims of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami|||
|Holy See||2005||9||Death of Pope John Paul II|||
|Poland||6||Schools and places of entertainment were closed.|
|Poland||2005||1||Victims of the 7 July 2005 London bombings||3 Polish citizens were among those killed.|
|Poland||2006||4||Victims of the Katowice Trade Hall roof collapse|||
|Estonia||2006||1||Death of former first President Lennart Meri|||
|Russia||2006||1||Victims of the crash of Armavia Flight 967|||
|Russia||2006||1||Victims of the crash of S7 Airlines Flight 778|||
|Russia||2006||1||Victims of the crash of Pulkovo Aviation Enterprise Flight 612|||
|Poland||2006||3||Victims of the 2006 Halemba Coal Mine disaster|||
|United States||2006||1||Death of former U.S. President Gerald Ford|||
|Libya||2006-7||3||Execution of former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein||Public celebrations around the Eid holiday were canceled.|
|Russia||2007||1||Victims of the Ulyanovskaya Mine disaster, the crash of UTair Flight 471 and a fire at a retirement home|||
|Russia||2007||1||Death of former President Boris Yeltsin|||
|Poland||2007||3||Victims of a bus accident in France||26 Polish pilgrims were killed.|
|Romania||2007||1||Death of Patriarch Teoctist|||
|Croatia||2007||1||Firefighters killed in the 2007 Croatian coast fires||</ref>|
|Finland||2007||1||Victims of the Jokela school shooting|||
|Pakistan||2007||3||Assassination of former Prime Minister Pakistan Benazir Bhutto|||
|Poland||2008||3||Victims of the 2008 Polish Air Force C-295 Mirosławiec crash|||
|China||2008||3||Victims of the 2008 Sichuan earthquake|||
|Russia||2008||1||Victims of the "humanitarian disaster" in South Ossetia and Russian casualties during the Russo-Georgian War|||
|Finland||2008||1||Victims of the Kauhajoki school shooting|||
|Guinea||2008/9||40||Death of President Guinea Lansana Conté|||
|Australia||2009||1||Victims of the Black Saturday bushfires|||
|Guinea-Bissau||2009||7||Death of President Guinea-Bissau João Bernardo Vieira|||
|Poland||2009||3||Victims of the Kamień Pomorski homeless hostel fire|||
|Croatia||2009||1||Victims of a train crash near Split, Croatia|||
|Cuba||2009||1||Death of Vice President Cuban Juan Almeida Bosque|||
|Poland||2009||2||Victims of the 2009 Wujek-Śląsk mine blast|||
|Russia||2009||1||Victims of the Lame Horse nightclub fire|||
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|Australia||2010||1||Remembrance of the Black Saturday bushfires||This was the second day of national mourning for this event.|
|Poland||2010||7||Victims of the Smolensk air disaster in Russia||Polish President Lech Kaczyński and other senior officials were killed.|
|Lithuania||2010||3||Death of former President and Prime Minister Algirdas Brazauskas|||
|China||2010||1||Victims of the 2010 Gansu mudslide||Flags were flown at half staff, all public forms of entertainment were suspended, and the country's main websites removed all color from their front pages.|
|Cambodia||2010||1||Victims of the Phnom Penh stampede|||
|Tunisia||2011||3||Those killed in the Tunisian Revolution|||
|Peru||2011||1||Victims of 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami|||
|Russia||2011||1||Victims of the sinking of the Bulgaria cruise ship|||
|Morocco||2011||1||Victims of the 2011 Royal Moroccan Air Force C-130 crash|||
|North Korea||2011||13||Death of Supreme Leader Kim Jong-il||Official mourning period.|
|2011-14||1,097||Total mourning period.|
|Czech Republic||2011||3||Death of Václav Havel, former president of the Czech Republic and Czechoslovakia||Concerts, exhibitions and theatrical performances were mostly canceled while casinos and gambling bars were closed. Businesses and citizens were asked to reconsider celebratory events.|
|Guinea-Bissau||2012||7||Death of President Malam Bacai Sanhá|||
|Poland||2012||2||Victims of the Szczekociny rail crash|||
|Belgium||2012||1||Victims of the Sierre coach crash in Switzerland||Most of the victims were from Belgium.|
|Malawi||2012||10||Death of President Bingu wa Mutharika|||
|Nigeria||2012||1||Victims of the crash of Dana Air Flight 992|||
|Russia||2012||1||Victims of the 2012 Krasnodar Krai floods and a Russian bus accident in Ukraine|||
|Croatia||2012||1||Death of Parliament Speaker Boris Šprem|||
|Cambodia||2012||7||Death of former King Norodom Sihanouk|||
|Cambodia||2013||7||Cremation of former King Norodom Sihanouk|||
|Venezuela||2013||7||Death of Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez|||
|Romania||2013||1||Victims of the 2013 Podgorica bus crash in Montenegro||All of the victims were Romanian citizens.|
|Poland||2013||1||Death of former Prime Minister Tadeusz Mazowiecki|||
|Algeria||2014||3||Victims of the 2014 Algerian Air Force C-130 crash|||
|Ukraine||2014||1||Victims of the 2014 Ukrainian Air Force Il-76 shootdown|||
|Bulgaria||2014||1||Victims of the 2014 Bulgarian floods|||
|Netherlands||2014||1||Victims of the shootdown of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in Ukraine||193 Dutch citizens were among those killed. First national day of mourning in the Netherlands since the assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963.|
|Malaysia||43 Malaysian citizens were among those killed.|
|Australia||38 Australian citizens were among those killed.|
|Palestine||2014||3||Palestinian victims of the 2014 Israel–Gaza conflict|||
|Algeria||2014||3||Victims of the crash of Air Algérie Flight 5017 in Mali|||
|Belgium||2014||7||Death of former Queen Fabiola|||
|Pakistan||2014||3||Victims of the 2014 Peshawar school massacre|||
|France||2015||1||Victims of the Charlie Hebdo shooting|||
|Ukraine||2015||1||Victims of the Volnovakha bus attack|||
|Philippines||2015||1||Police officers killed in the Mamasapano clash|||
|Bulgaria||2015||1||Death of former President Zhelyu Zhelev|||
|Pakistan||2015||1||Victims of the 2015 Pakistan Army Mil Mi-17 crash|||
|Pakistan||2015||1||Victims of the 2015 Karachi bus shooting|||
|Turkey||2015||3||Death of former President and Prime Minister Süleyman Demirel|||
|Iran||2015||3||Victims of the 2015 Mina stampede in Saudi Arabia||At least 464 Iranians were among those killed.|
|Benin||2015||7||Death of former President Mathieu Kérékou|||
|Romania||2015||3||Victims of the Colectiv nightclub fire|||
|Russia||2015||1||Victims of the bombing of Metrojet Flight 9268|||
|France||2015||3||Victims of the November 2015 Paris attacks|||
|European Union||European Day of Mourning and a minute of silence.|
|Belgium||2016||3||Victims of the 2016 Brussels bombings|||
|Chile||2016||3||Death of former President Patricio Aylwin|||
|Turkey||2016||1||Victims of the 2016 Atatürk Airport attack|||
|France||2016||3||Victims of the 2016 Nice truck attack|||
|Romania||2016||1||Death of former Queen-consort Anne of Romania|||
|DR Congo||2016||3||Victims of the Beni massacre|||
|Italy||2016||1||Victims of the August 2016 Central Italy earthquake|||
|Romania||11 Romanians were among those killed.|
|Haiti||2016||3||Victims of Hurricane Matthew|||
|Slovakia||2016||1||Death of former first President Michal Kováč|||
|Costa Rica||2016||3||Victims of Hurricane Otto|||
|Brazil||2016||3||Victims of the crash of LaMia Flight 2933|||
|Russia||2016||1||Victims of the 2016 Russian Defence Ministry Tupolev Tu-154 crash|||
|Donetsk People's Republic|||
|Portugal||2017||3||Death of former President and Prime Minister Mário Soares|||
|Iran||2017||3||Death of former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani|||
|Kyrgyzstan||2017||1||Victims of the crash of Turkish Airlines Flight 6491|||
|Iran||2017||1||Firefighters killed in the collapse of the Plasco Building|||
|Hungary||2017||1||Victims of the 2017 Verona bus crash|||
|Brazil||2017||3||Death of former First Lady Marisa Letícia Lula da Silva|||
|Afghanistan||2017||1||Victims of the 2017 Camp Shaheen attack|||
|Finland||2017||1||Death of former President and Prime Minister Mauno Koivisto|||
|Portugal||2017||3||Victims of the June 2017 Portugal wildfires|||
|Sierra Leone||2017||7||Victims of the 2017 Sierra Leone mudslides|||
|Spain||2017||3||Victims of the 2017 Barcelona attacks|||
|Portugal||2017||1||Victims of a fallen tree which killed 13 people in Madeira|||
|Mexico||2017||3||Victims of the 2017 Chiapas earthquake|||
|Mexico||2017||3||Victims of the 2017 Puebla earthquake|||
|Iraq||2017||3||Death of former President Jalal Talabani||The Kurdistan Regional Government declared 7 days of mourning.|
|Costa Rica||2017||3||Victims of Hurricane Nate|||
|Somalia||2017||3||Victims of the 14 October 2017 Mogadishu bombings|||
|Portugal||2017||3||Victims of the October 2017 Iberian wildfires|||
|Malta||2017||1||Murder of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia|||
|Iran||2017||1||Victims of the 2017 Iran–Iraq earthquake|||
|Romania||2017||3||Death of King Michael I|||
|Russia||2018||1||Victims of the 2018 Kemerovo fire|||
|Algeria||2018||3||Victims of the 2018 Algerian Air Force Ilyushin Il-76 crash|||
|Greece||2018||3||Victims of the 2018 Greece wildfires|||
|India||2018||1||Death of M. Karunanidhi, former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu|||
|India||2018||7||Death of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee|||
|Tanzania||2018||4||Victims of the Sinking of MV Nyerere|||
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||2018||3||Victims of the Mbuba road tanker explosion|||
|United States||2018||1||Death of former U.S. President George H. W. Bush||Federal agencies and departments were closed.|
|Ethiopia||2018||1||Death of former President Girma Wolde-Giorgis|||
|Poland||2018||1||Victims of a mine accident in the Czech Republic||12 Polish citizens were among those killed.|
|Poland||2019||2||Assassination of Gdańsk Mayor Paweł Adamowicz|||
|Zambia||2019||3||Death of former Vice President Lupando Mwape|||
|Poland||2019||2||Death of former Prime Minister Jan Olszewski|||
|North Macedonia||2019||2||Victims of a bus crash near Gostivar|||
|Ethiopia||2019||1||Victims of the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302|||
|Zimbabwe||2019||2||Victims of Cyclone Idai|||
|Peru||2019||3||Death of former President Alan Garcia|||
|Portugal||2019||3||Victims of the 2019 Madeira bus crash|||
|Sri Lanka||2019||1||Victims of the 2019 Sri Lanka Easter bombings|||
|Ethiopia||2019||1||Death of former President Negasso Gidada|||
|Jamaica||2019||4||Death of former Prime Minister Edward Seaga|||
|Cyprus||2019||3||Death of former President Demetris Christofias|||
|Tunisia||2019||7||Death of President Beji Caid Essebsi|||
|Tanzania||2019||3||Victims of the Morogoro tanker explosion|||
|Gambia||2019||3||Death of former President Dawda Jawara|||
|Zimbabwe||2019||8||Death of former President Robert Mugabe|||
|Indonesia||2019||3||Death of former President B. J. Habibie|||
|France||2019||1||Death of former French President Jacques Chirac|||
|Burkina Faso||2019||2||Victims of the Arbinda attack|||
|Albania||2019||1||Victims of the 2019 Albania earthquake|||
|Kosovo||Kosovo has an ethnic Albanian majority population.|
|Kazakhstan||2019||1||Victims of Bek Air Flight 2100|||
|Iraq||2019/20||3||Those killed in the U.S. airstrikes against Kata'ib Hezbollah||Mourning period began on New Year's Eve.|
|Country||Year||Days of mourning||Reason||Notes|
|Iran||2020||3||Death of Qasem Soleimani, commander of Iran's Quds Force, in a U.S. airstrike in Baghdad, Iraq|||
|Iran||2020||1||Victims of the stampede at Qasem Soleimani's funeral and the crash of Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752|||
|Ukraine||2020||1||Victims of the crash of Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752|||
|Oman||2020||3||Death of Oman's Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said|||
|Niger||2020||3||Soldiers killed in the Battle of Chinagodrar|||
- Assassination of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
- "Past State Funerals".
- Soviet Announces Khrushchev Death in Cool Language
- GEORGI MALENKOV DIES
- Georgi Malenkov Dies at 86; Stalin Successor
- "Gagarin's death: Obvious mystery".
- "Траурные дни в России (1993-2011 гг). Справка".
- Когда и по какому поводу в России назначали общенациональный траур. Инфографика
- Sanger, David E. (January 10, 1989). "Mourning Fails to Slow Japan's Economy". The New York Times. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- "An Emperor's Farewell". New Straits Times. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Stanley G. Payne; Jesús Palacios (2014). Franco: A Personal and Political Biography. University of Wisconsin Press.
- Aregay, Daniel. "Meles Zenawi's 13-day long state mourning ends today". Ethiopia Observatory. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "'Missile Man': Ex-president APJ Abdul Kalam passes away". Hindustan Times. July 28, 2015. Retrieved July 15, 2016.
- "Shimon Peres tombstone to be unveiled at service marking 30-day mourning period". Jewish Telegraphic Agency. Jewish Telegraphic Agency. Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- Khomami, Nadia; Johnston, Chris; Phipps, Claire. "Fidel Castro death: Donald Trump hopes for a free Cuba – as it happened". The Guardian. Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- "Decreta el Consejo de Estado duelo nacional". Granma (in Spanish). November 26, 2016. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- "Jayalalithaa death: Centre declares one-day national mourning for Amma, Tricolour to fly at half mast". Indian Express. New Delhi. December 6, 2016. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- "Three-day official mourning declared in Kerala after Jayalalithaa's demise". The New Indian Express. Thiruvananthapuram. December 6, 2016. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- "Jayalalithaa death: Pondicherry announces 3-day state mourning". Indian Express. Puducherry. December 7, 2016. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- "Jayalalithaa death: Karnataka declares a day of mourning". Indian Express. Bengaluru. December 6, 2016. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- "One day's state mourning in Punjab on Jayalalithaa's". United News of India. December 6, 2016. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- Ankita, Bhandari (December 6, 2016). "Central govt announces one-day mourning after Jayalalithaa's death". Zee News. New Delhi. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- "Sept 7, 21 declared non-working holidays". ABS-CBN News. September 6, 2009. Retrieved July 15, 2016.
- "Serbia observes first day of mourning". B92. November 16, 2009. Archived from the original on June 8, 2011.
- McFadden, Robert D. (April 4, 2005). "In Many Lands and Tongues, Remembering Pope as Minister of Peace". The New York Times. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- "World Mourns Pope John Paul II - Novinite.com - Sofia News Agency". www.novinite.com. April 3, 2005. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- "World mourns Pope John Paul II". MSNBC. April 18, 2005. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Kole, William J.; Falconi, Marta. "Miles of mourners for the pope: 100,000 attend as John Paul's body is put on public display". Decatur Daily. Associated Press. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- "Taoiseach declares period of 'official mourning'". The Irish Times. April 4, 2005. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Spolar, Christine (April 6, 2005). "Day of mourning for `great Pole'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Donaghy, Kathy (April 5, 2005). "Grieving days across the world are different things to different peoples". Independent.ie. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Walsh, Sister Mary Ann (2005). From Pope John Paul II to Benedict XVI: An Inside Look at the End of an Era, the Beginning of a New One, and the Future of the Church. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 188. ISBN 978-1-58051-202-2. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- "Spain a nation in mourning for Pope John Paul II". Expatica. April 3, 2005. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Willoughby, Ian (April 8, 2005). "Official day of mourning for Pope John Paul II marked in Czech Republic". Radio Prague International. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Bolaric, Natasa (April 14, 2005). "A Pope for the People". The Slovenia Times. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- "Eusébio: Governo decreta três dias de luto nacional". A Bola. January 5, 2014.
- "Honolulu Star-Bulletin Local News". archives.starbulletin.com.
- "Bio". www.attambur.com. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- [dead link]
- ȘTIRILE, PUBLIKA MD-AICI SUNT (September 15, 2015). "17 сентября объявили днем национального траура: страна простится с Михаем Волонтиром | PUBLIKA .MD - AICI SUNT ȘTIRILE". ru.publika.md.
- Kolomayets, Marta. "Ukraine mourns tram accident victims". The Maharishi Institute. Kyiv Press Bureau. Archived from the original on November 11, 2016. Retrieved January 5, 2017.
- "China mourns mudslide victims as relief operation continues". Xinhua News Agency. August 16, 2010. Retrieved August 15, 2010.
- Lappin, Yaakov (December 2, 2010). "PM Declares National Day of Mourning Following Fire". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved December 3, 2010.
- "Brazil mourns Santa Maria nightclub fire victims". BBC News. January 28, 2013. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "Peña Nieto decreed three days of national mourning. (Spanish)". February 1, 2013.
- "National mourning declared in Turkey". News.Az. May 14, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Pakistan to observe day of mourning solidarity with Turkey". Prime Ministry of Pakistan. May 14, 2014. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- "Serbia declares national mourning, flood toll rises". Reuters. May 20, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Day of Mourning Today in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serb Republic". independent.mk. May 20, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- THE OBSEQUIES; President Lincoln's Murder Planned in Canada. One of the Seward Assassins a St. Albans Robber. OFFICIAL DAY OF MOURNING APPOINTED
- National Day of Mourning, June 1st, 1865. Abraham Lincoln
- DAG VAN NATIONALE ROUW IN DE NEDERLANDSE GESCHIEDENIS
- Funeral Committee Named
- Lenin Dies Of Cerebral Hemorrhage; Moscow Throngs Overcome With Grief; Trotsky Departs Ill, Radek In Disfavor
- "Żałoby narodowe w Polsce (1924-2012)".
- Koningin Emma ten grave gedragen
- M.P. 1934 nr 137 poz. 184
- De plechtige uitvaart van Prins Hendrik
- M.P. 1935 nr 114 poz. 144
- "Death of the pope of peace".
- Pope's burial plans
- Een wit rouwkleed lag over Nederland
- A Hypnotic but Contextless Portrait of Stalin’s Death and Its Aftermath
- "When is a National Day of Mourning held?".
- "OVERZICHT. Dagen van nationale rouw in het verleden".
- "Newspaper Accounts of the Death of Pope Pius XII".
- "NAtionale rouw in tal van landen".
- Scandinavische koningen rijden in rouwstoet mee
- Last service for Pope
- Nationale rouw op Cuba
- Proclamation 3561
- Nationale rouw in ons land
- "What is 'national mourning' for?".
- Presidential Proclamation 3839 of April 5, 1968, by President Lyndon B. Johnson
- Death of Robert F. Kennedy
- Announcing the death of Dwight David Eisenhower
- National Day of Mourning Proclaimed by President
- Johnson Lies in State in Capitol Rotunda
- ELECTION TO BE HELD
- Pope buried after 100,000 attend Mass in square
- «Леониду Ильичу нужна срочно реанимация»
- Proclamation 5093 of September 9,1983
- Andropov's death leaves Soviet Union leaderless
- The World After Andropov
- Указ № 3904 от 1 ноември 1984 г. Обн. ДВ. бр. 88 от 6 ноември 1984 г.
- Gorbachev Becomes Soviet Leader Hours After Chernenko Dies at 73
- SUCCESSION IN MOSCOW: TRIBUTES FROM ABROAD; MOSCOW'S ALLIES EXTEND CONDOLENCES
- Public Law 100-44 - Joint resolution designating May 25, 1987, as "National Day of Mourning for the Victims of the U.S.S. Stark
- Proclamation 5662
- 500 on 2 Trains Reported Killed By Soviet Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Brother to succeed Belgian king
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 06.10.1993 г. № 1589
- TERROR IN SARAJEVO; Sarajevans Mourn and Rage While Life and Death Go On
- THE 37TH PRESIDENT: THE OVERVIEW; Tributes to Nixon Underline Triumphs, Not the Downfall
- Ayrton Senna: the day a million Brazilians mourned their golden boy
- N. Korea's Kim Il-sung, 82, dies
- North Korea ends mourning for Kim Il Sung
- Proclamation 6789—National Day of Mourning in Memory of Those Who Died in Oklahoma City
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 30.05.1995 г. № 546
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 21.06.1995 г. № 624
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 09.08.1996 г. № 1147
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 27.09.1996 г. № 1394
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 18.11.1996 г. № 1581
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 04.12.1997 г. № 1273
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 16.02.1999 г. № 193
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 20.03.1999 г. № 373
- Браслеты оповестят о пожаре
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 10.09.1999 г. № 1218
- Russia mourns Kursk crew
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 04.07.2001 г. № 804
- National Day of Prayer and Remembrance for the Victims Of the Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001
- Media Advisory
- Timeline: 9/11 and Canada
- EU: Ministers Express Total Support, Declare Day Of Mourning
- JOINT DECLARATION BY THE HEADS OF STATE AND GOVERNMENT OF THE EUROPEAN UNION, THE PRESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT, THE PRESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION, AND THE HIGH REPRESENTATIVE FOR THE COMMON FOREIGN AND SECURITY POLICY
- Taoiseach declares Friday national day of mourning
- Outpouring Of Sympathy At US Embassy
- "Days of national mourning in Romania: What does it mean?".
- No. 17, 17 September 2001
- Česká republika bude plnit závazky plynoucí z členství v NATO
- Cyprus declares Friday Day of mourning for victims of terrorist attacks
- Friday declared day of mourning in Greece
- Israel Reacts to Terrorist Attacks on the US-11-Sep-2001
- President Vladimir Putin signed a decree declaring a day of mourning for the helicopter crash in the Chechen Republic
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 27.10.2002 г. № 1263
- HOTĂRÂRE nr.320 din 13 martie 2004
- Announcing the Death of Ronald Reagan
- National day of mourning for Belgian gas blast victims
- 300 dead after Paraguay supermarket blaze
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 25.08.2004 г. № 1111
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 04.09.2004 г. № 1143
- Arafat's body begins final return
- Catholics begin 9 days of mourning as Pope John Paul II is laid to rest
- HOTĂRÂRE nr.275 din 5 aprilie 2005
- OFFICIAL DAY OF MOURNING FOR POPE JOHN PAUL II MARKED IN CZECH REPUBLIC
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 03.05.2006 г. № 457
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 09.07.2006 г. № 688
- "Mourning for Ukraine crash dead".
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 22.08.2006 г. № 915
- National Day of Mourning for President Gerald R. Ford
- Libya to build statue of Saddam
- Libya Government: 3 Days Mourning for P.O.W. Saddam Hussein
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 20.03.2007 г. № 368
- Vladimir Putin`s Address on the Occasion of Boris Yeltsin’s Passing
- HOTĂRÂRE nr.840 din 1 august 2007
- Vlada: 3. rujna Dan nacionalne žalosti
- Finland mourns shooting victims
- China declares three days of mourning after quake
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 12.08.2008 г. № 1194
- Finland school massacre brings day of mourning and review of gun laws
- Australia announces day of mourning over bushfires
- Australian bush fires: Country mourns 209 dead
- National Day of Mourning for Victorian Bushfires
- Day of mourning for train crash victims
- Vlada donijela Odluku o poglašenju 27. srpnja danom žalosti
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 05.12.2009 г. № 1384
- Day of mourning for Vic bushfire victims
- Nation remembers devastating Black Saturday
- Poland begins week of mourning for plane crash victims
- HOTĂRÂRE nr.349 din 14 aprilie 2010
- Vlada: nedjelja, 18. travnja Dan žalosti
- Dmitry Medvedev addressed the People of Poland
- China marks day of mourning for landslide victims
- Stampede in Cambodia kills hundreds, government says
- Tunisia begins three days of mourning for protest victims
- Perú declara duelo nacional en solidaridad con Japón tras sismo y tsunami
- Russia will observe a day of mourning on July 12 for the victims of the cruise ship Bulgaria’s sinking
- Russia Volga boat tragedy: Medvedev orders review
- Scores killed in Moroccan plane crash
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dies 'of heart attack'
- Korea marks end of Kim Jong Il mourning period
- COUNTRY BEGINS THREE DAYS OF MOURNING
- Slovakia declares December 23 as official day of mourning for Václav Havel
- Swiss bus crash: Belgium holds day of national mourning
- Lagos air crash: No survivors, officials say
- Jonathan declares 3 days of national mourning for crash victims
- July 9 has been declared a day of mourning in Russia
- Russia declares day of mourning for flood victims
- Vlada sređuje popise birača
- "Cambodia announces 2nd official mourning for King-Father Norodom Sihanouk".
- Venezuela begins seven days of mourning after death of Hugo Chávez
- Bolivia declares 7 days of mourning for Castro, as Morales heads to Cuba
- Nicaragua decreta siete días de duelo por muerte de Chávez
- Nicaragua decreta siete días de duelo nacional por muerte de Hugo Chávez
- "Chavez widely mourned, but some hope change on way".
- Peru declares three-day national mourning upon Chavez’ death
- Gobierno de Chile decretó tres días de duelo nacional por muerte de Hugo Chávez
- Brasil declara três dias de luto por Chávez e Dilma irá a Caracas
- Gobierno decreta tres días de Duelo Nacional por fallecimiento de Hugo Chávez
- Gobierno decretó tres días de duelo oficial por muerte de Chávez
- Three days of mourning for Chavez; DM will go to Venezuela
- Iran declares day of mourning for anti-U.S. ally Chavez
- PM declares National State of Mourning
- HOTĂRÂRE nr.410 din 25 iunie 2013
- Day of mourning in Montenegro for victims of two accidents
- National mourning for Tadeusz Mazowiecki on November 3
- Algerian military plane crashes into mountain, 77 killed
- Ukraine declares national day of mourning
- 12 die in flooding in Bulgaria after heavy rain
- Netherlands holds day of mourning for victims of flight MH17
- Malaysia declares Aug 22 national day of mourning for MH17 victims
- Australia national day of mourning for MH17 dead
- Hamas' armed wing claims to have captured an Israeli soldier
- Turkey declares three days of mourning over Palestine deaths
- North Cyprus declares three days mourning for Gaza
- PM announces 25th July, 2014 as day of mourning to show solidarity with innocent people of Gaza
- Flight AH 5017 crash: President Bouteflika declares three-day national mourning
- UPDATE 2-Families mourn victims of Air Algerie crash in Mali
- Crash du vol Air Algérie: le Burkina en deuil
- Belgium mourns Queen Fabiola, widow of King Baudouin
- 7 days of national mourning installed
- Death 'All Around Me': Victims Relive Pakistan School Massacre
- President Hollande declares day of mourning in France after Charlie Hebdo gun attack
- January 15 is the Day of Mourning for the people murdered by terrorists
- January 30, 2015, is a National Day of Mourning
- Pakistan declares day of mourning after ambassadors killed in helicopter crash
- Karachi bus massacre: Mass funeral for Ismaili Shias
- Iran declares 3-day nat'l mourning over Mecca deaths
- Romanian nightclub fire kills 27, national mourning declared
- November 1st declared a day of mourning in Russia for those killed in the plane crash
- Sinai plane crash: No survivors on Russian airliner KGL9268
- Russia's Putin declares day of mourning after airliner crash in Egypt
- Attentats : Hollande décrète "trois jours de deuil national"
- Hungary holds national day of mourning for victims of Paris terrorist attacks
- Croatia declares Nov 16 day of mourning for Paris attack victims
- Joint statement of the Heads of State or Government and leaders of the European Union and its institutions on the terrorist attacks in Paris
- Brussels attacks: Belgium mourns amid hunt for suspect
- HOTĂRÂRE nr.171 din 23 martie 2016
- Government adopts decisions on 18% cut in prices of natural gas for households
- Patricio Aylwin, Chile's first post-Pinochet president, dies
- Turkey declares national day of mourning following Istanbul attack
- France to Observe 3 Days of National Mourning
- Comunicat de presă - ședință de guvern - Guvernul a stabilit 13 august 2016, zi de doliu național
- Romania marks national day of mourning in Queen Anne's memory
- Moldovan president declares 13 August 2016 as national mourning day
- Congo to observe 3 days of national mourning
- Italy observes day of mourning for earthquake dead
- Romania holds national mourning day for the victims of the Italy earthquake
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti in national mourning as aid gears up
- Costa Rica declares national mourning as storm Otto kills nine
- Brazilian footballers among 75 killed in plane crash
- Putin declares national day of mourning over Russia military plane crash
- Belarus Declares Monday Day of Mourning for Tu-154 Crash Victims
- Latest Updates on Russian Defense Ministry's Tu-154 Aircraft Crash in Black Sea
- Portugal father of democracy Mario Soares dies aged 92
- Iran Declares Three Days of National Mourning after Demise of Ex-President
- Kyrgyzstan plane crash: Dozens die as Turkish cargo jet hits homes
- Sat. national day of mourning, no hope for any survivors
- Hungary declares national day of mourning for Italy bus crash victims
- Brazil’s ex-first lady, central to Lula’s career, dies at 66
- "Day of mourning declared after Taliban kill 140 Afghans troops". news.com.au. Reuters. Retrieved July 22, 2017.
- Portugal forest fires kill 62 near Coimbra
- Sierra Leone President declares 7-day national mourning for mudslide victims
- Barcelona attack witnesses tell of terror as van sped towards crowds
- Portugal announces day of mourning for Madeira fallen tree vitims
- "Day of national mourning on Friday for 13 killed by Madeira oak". The Portugal News. TPN, LUSA. Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- Mexico declares three days of mourning after deadly earthquake
- 230 confirmed dead as Mexico earthquake rescue efforts continue – as it happened
- Barzani Announces One Week Public Mourning for Talabani's Loss
- Iraq declares 3-day mourning for ex-president Talabani's death
- Costa Rican Government Declares 3 Days of National Mourning Due to After Effects of Tropical Storm Nate
- Presidente de Costa Rica decreta duelo nacional de tres días por víctimas de tormenta Nate
- Somali President Declares 3 Days of Mourning After Deadly Blast
- "Three days of national mourning for the victims of the fires". Renascença. Retrieved October 17, 2017.
- National day of mourning on Friday to mark Caruana Galizia funeral
- Officials raise Iran-Iraq earthquake death toll to at least 530
- King Michael dies at 96, to be buried in Romania according to the royal tradition. Three days of national mourning
- March 28 declared national day of mourning
- Algeria declares three days of mourning over deadly plane crash
- Mueren 257 personas al estrellarse un avión militar en Argelia
- Greece wildfires: Dozens dead in Attica region
- Centre announces one-day State mourning following death of former CM of Tamil Nadu Dr. M. Karunanidhi; accords State funeral
- Seven day State Mourning to be observed in memory of former Prime Minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Lake Victoria Tanzania ferry disaster: Survivor found in air pocket
- At least 50 dead, 100 burned in Congo tanker truck fire
- Bado, Kirk, and Susan Miller (1 December 2018) "Trumps to attend George H.W. Bush funeral; Wednesday will be day of mourning" Retrieved 1 December 2018
- Roundup: Ethiopia declares day of mourning for late president
- National day of mourning declared for 12 Poles killed in mining blast
- National mourning after the tragic death of Mayor of Gdańsk Paweł Adamowicz
- Zambia declares 3-day national mourning for ex-VP
- Żałoba narodowa po śmierci Jana Olszewskiego
- North Macedonia mourns 14 people killed in bus crash
- Ethiopian Airlines: 'No survivors' on crashed Boeing 737
- Aid workers rush to rescue African cyclone victims amid mounting death toll
- Mozambique: 3 days of national mourning after deadly Cyclone Idai
- Thousands of Peruvians say goodbye to ex-president following suicide
- "Acidente/Madeira: Governo decreta três dias de luto nacional em memória das vítimas" [Government decrees three days of national mourning in memory of the victims] (in Portuguese). Diário de Notícias. April 18, 2019. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Sri Lanka falls silent on day of mourning for attack victims
- Ethiopian parliament declares day of mourning for late president Gidada
- 4 days of mourning
- Cyprus declares 3 days of mourning for deceased ex-president
- Tunisia declares mourning period after death of President Essebsi
- Tanzania declares 3 days of national mourning over victims of oil tanker explosion
- Mixed feelings as Zimbabwe begins national mourning for Mugabe
- Pomp, thin crowds and mixed feelings as Robert Mugabe is buried
- Indonesians bury former president Habibie at state funeral
- "French head to palace to remember 'beloved' Chirac". September 27, 2019 – via www.bbc.com.
- Lebanon declares Monday a national day of mourning for Chirac
- Burkina Faso tense, in mourning, amid jihadist attacks
- "The Latest: UN sends disaster assessment experts to Albania". Associated Press. Retrieved November 26, 2019.
- "President Tokayev declares December 28 a national day of mourning". www.inform.kz. December 27, 2019.
- "إعلان الحداد في العراق 3 أيام على قتلى القصف الأمريكي". RT Arabic.
- "US kills Iran's most powerful general in Baghdad airstrike". SFChronicle.com. January 3, 2020.
- "Iraq: Mourning declared for Soleimani, al-Muhandis". www.aa.com.tr.
- "إيران تعلن الحداد على قتلى التدافع وتحطم الطائرة". arabic.sputniknews.com.
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy declared January 9 the day of mourning in Ukraine due to the UIA plane crash in Iran
- وإذ يعلنُ ديوان البلاط السلطاني الحداد وتعطيل العمل الرسمي للقطاعين العام والخاص لمدة ثلاثة أيام وتنكيس الأعلام في الأيام الأربعين القادمة
- Kuwaiti emir orders 3 days of mourning over death of Sultan Qaboos
- Qatar declares three days of mourning for HM Sultan Qaboos
- UAE leaders mourn death of Sultan Qaboos, 3 days of mourning declared
- HM King mourns Sultan Qaboos bin Said
- Egypt announces 3-day mourning for death of Sultan Qaboos
- Niger declares three days of mourning after 89 soldiers killed in attack on military base