Nationalist Democratic Assembly
|International affiliation||Iraqi-led Ba'ath Party|
|Colors||Black, Red, White and Green|
|Council of Representatives||
0 / 40
0 / 40
|Part of a series on|
|Politics portal Socialism portal|
The Nationalist Democratic Assembly (Arabic: التجمع القومي الديمقراطي, Al-Tajamu'u Al-Qawmi Al-Dimuqratiyah) is a political party in Bahrain. It is the Bahraini regional branch of the Iraqi-led Ba'ath Party. The party is led by Secretary General Hassan Ali and Deputy Secretary General Mahmoud Kassab. It was established by Bahrainis who had studied in Ba'athist Iraq during the 1960s and 1970s. The party boycotted the 2002 parliamentary election but not the 2006 election. The 2011 parliamentary by-election was boycotted by the party in solidarity with the Bahraini uprising. It is headquartered in Zinj.
The party opposes the government's naturalisation policies, and contends that it is unfair for ethnic Bahrainis to compete equally with foreign workers for jobs. It remains pro-Saddam Hussein and, according to its webpage, supports the Arab Spring. It opposed the 2003 invasion of Iraq, considering it an act of brutality against the Iraqi people. The party actively supports the overthrow of the existing monarchy, with a peaceful transition to democracy.
It is part of a four-party opposition alliance opposing the government, which comprises two Shia Islamist parties (Al Wefaq and the Islamic Action Society) and the leftist National Democratic Action Society.
- "Attorney Calls for further investigation into the incident" ["النيابة" تطلب مواصلة التحري في حادث "الزنج"]. Al-Wasat (in Arabic). Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Mahdi, Mazdi (2 May 2010). "Bahrainis take to the streets over job security". The National. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- Staff writer (15 November 2007). التجمع القومي الديمقراطي [Nationalist Democratic Assembly] (in Arabic). Nationalist Democratic Assembly. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- Staff writer (15 November 2007). جمعية التجمع القومي الديمقراطي [Nationalist Democratic Assembly]. Al-Wasat (in Arabic). Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- Staff writer (16 August 2011). "التجمع القومي" خامس جمعية تعلن مقاطعتها للانتخابات التكميلية [National Rally fifth Association announces boycott of the elections complementary]. Al-Wasat (in Arabic). Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- Staff writer (15 November 2007). أخبار [News] (in Arabic). Nationalist Democratic Assembly. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- Staff writer (28 March 2003). بيان صادر عن التجمع القومي الديمقراطي في العراق [Statement issued by the Nationalist Democratic Assembly] (in Arabic). Ahewar.org. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- Staff writer. التجمع الديمقراطي: عدم رفع شعار إسقاط النظام سببه ظروف معينة [Democratic Rally: Do not drop the slogan of the system due to certain circumstances] (in Arabic). Islamtimes.org. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
|This article about a Bahraini political party is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|