Natt och Dag
Natt och Dag (Swedish: [ˈnatː ɔ ˈdɑːɡ], literally night and day) is a Swedish Noble family and the oldest still existing family of pure Swedish extraction; officially known since the year 1280, according to documents at the Swedish National Archives.
The oldest established ancestor is the knight, Lawspeaker of Värend, and Privy Councillor Nils Sigridsson (1299 at the earliest), known since 11 May 1280. From his grandson's grandson's son, the knight, Lawspeaker of Närke and Privy Councillor Magnus Bengtsson (between 1473 and 1477) stems the currently known family. His grandson's grandson was introduced at the House of Nobility in Sweden in the year 1625.
The family members first started to use the name Natt och Dag in the 18th century, why many members names are written with the family name within parentheses, i.e. (Natt och Dag). The name alludes to the contrast difference between the blue and the golden field the family's coat of arms. In the early 16th century, the Swedish coin was mint-marked with the Natt och Dag coat of arms, due to members of the family being regents of Sweden.
Gabriel Anrep, a Swedish genealogist of the 19th century, wrote:
- That this family stems from Sigtrygg, a rich man, who, according to Sturlesson, in the year 1030 lived in Nerike and, during the winter, housed the Norwegian King Olof Haralsson the Holy, and that Sigtrygg's son Ivar thereafter became a distinguished man, may be true but lacks evidence
Coat of arms
- Shield: Parti per fess Or and Azure.
- Helm: Six peacock feathers between two colours.
The arms are actually symbolical canting arms: Azure (blue) symbolizes night and Or (gold) day.
- Regent Svante Nilsson (Sture), deceased 1512.
- Regent Sten Svantesson (Sten Sture the younger), 1492–1520.
- Johan Månsson (Natt och Dag) executed in Stockholm Bloodbath.
- Måns Bengtsson (Natt och Dag) killed Engelbrekt Engelbrektsson.
- Åke Natt och Dag, official, director-general.
This article is fully or partially based on material from Nordisk familjebok, 1913.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Natt och Dag.|