|Natuashish Indian Reserve No. 2|
|Province||Newfoundland and Labrador|
|• Chief||Gregory Rich|
|• Federal MP||Yvonne Jones (L)|
|• Provincial MHA||Randy Edmunds (L)|
|Time zone||AST (UTC-4)|
Natuashish (Little Sango Pond) was established in 2002 as a planned community in the hopes of resolving the social problems that had plagued the prior community of Davis Inlet, 15 km away. The population of Natuashish at the 2011 Census was 931, up from 706 in 2006.
Initial reports suggested that the Canadian government's plan of renewal and healing had been a failure, as the community was still plagued with alcohol and drug abuse. The government was accused of creating a system overburdened with bureaucracy, and not adequately addressing the issue. The local tribal band was accused of corruption, as was shown in a 2005 CBC report in which it was shown that the leadership was trafficking drugs and other illicit substances to maintain power.
The community's attempt to resolve its problem with alcoholism led to a ban on the sale, purchase, and possession of alcohol within the community. The bylaw was originally passed in 2008 by a margin of two votes. The prohibition bylaw was upheld in a subsequent referendum held in the community in March 2010. The community continues to struggle with drug abuse and youth boredom.
The community is served by the Natuashish Airport.
- Natuashish 2 - Indian reserve, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
- Adrian Tanner (1999). "Innu History". Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage.
- Claude Rocheleau, Heritage Study for Utshimassit Community Relocation Project, Sango Bay, Labrador, Phase 2
- "Davis Inlet Innu get new home."
- CBC, "From Davis Inlet to Natuashish", February 14, 2005
- CBC, "Labrador Innu village votes for booze ban", February 1, 2008
- CBC, "Natuashish votes to keep alcohol ban", March 26, 2010
- Power, Peter (April 27, 2016). "A decade after the people of Davis Inlet were relocated, they are still hunting demons". The Globe and Mail. The Globe and Mail Inc. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
|This Labrador location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|