|Edited by||Nathalie Le Bot and Enda Bergin|
|Frequency||continuous, upon acceptance|
|License||Creative Commons licenses|
|ISO 4||Nat. Commun.|
Nature Communications is a peer-reviewed, open access, scientific journal published by Nature Research since 2010. It is a multidisciplinary journal and it covers the natural sciences, including physics, chemistry, earth sciences, medicine, and biology. The founding editor-in-chief was Lesley Anson, followed by Joerg Heber, Magdalena Skipper, and Elisa De Ranieri. The journal has editorial offices in London, Berlin, New York City, and Shanghai.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- Science Citation Index
- Current Contents/Agriculture, Biology & Environmental Sciences
- Current Contents/Life Sciences
- Current Contents/Physical, Chemical & Earth Sciences
- The Zoological Record
- BIOSIS Previews
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- Index Medicus/MEDLINE/PubMed
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
Editorial process and journal scope
Nature Communications is a multi-disciplinary, open-access, online-only journal which publishes articles from all fields of natural sciences. Part of its scope is to fill a gap for high-quality, cross-disciplinary research articles with no dedicated Nature-branded journal available. The editor-in-chief is supported by 13 different editorial teams covering individual topics.
Starting October 2014, the journal only accepted submissions from authors willing to pay an article processing charge. Until the end of 2015, part of the published submissions were only available to subscribers. In January 2016, all content became freely accessible.
Starting from 2017, Nature Communications allows for a rapid dissemination of results, offering a deposition service to authors for pre-prints of articles "under consideration" as part of the submission process.
In 2017, Nature Publishing Group announced the creation of three "subjournals" under the Communications brand: Communications Biology, Communications Chemistry, and Communications Physics. In 2020, Nature Publishing Group began publishing several additional Communications journals, Communications Materials in 2020, Communications Earth & Environment in 2020, Communications Medicine in 2021, and Communications Engineering in 2022.
These open-access journals offer a lower publication fee than Nature Communications, reflecting their more specialist remits. Manuscripts rejected by Nature Publishing Group journals can choose to transfer the manuscript together with reviewers' reports to the three Communications-branded journals via an automated transfer service. Alternatively, authors may choose to request a fresh review.
- Announcing Nature Communications - a multidisciplinary, online-only journal with an open-access option, Press release from Nature Publishing Group.
- "About the editors". Nature Communications. Nature Publishing Group. Archived from the original on 10 June 2015. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- "About the editors". Nature Communications. Nature Publishing Group. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- "Master Journal List". Intellectual Property & Science. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "CAS Source Index". Chemical Abstracts Service. American Chemical Society. Archived from the original on 11 February 2010. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Nature Communications". NLM Catalog. National Center for Biotechnology Information. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Content overview". Scopus. Elsevier. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Nature Communications". Directory of Open Access Journals. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Nature Communications". 2019 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Clarivate Analytics. 2020.
- "Nature Communications Editorial Team". Nature. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- "Open Access". Nature Communications. Nature Publishing Group. Archived from the original on 19 October 2009. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Evolving our support for early sharing". Nature Communications. Nature Publishing Group. Retrieved 5 August 2020.
- "Communications Biology". Macmillan Publishers – Springer Nature. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Communications Chemistry". Macmillan Publishers – Springer Nature. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Communications Physics". Macmillan Publishers – Springer Nature. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Communications Materials". Macmillan Publishers – Springer Nature. Retrieved 25 May 2022.
- "Communications Earth & Environment". Macmillan Publishers – Springer Nature. Retrieved 25 May 2022.
- "Communications Medicine". Macmillan Publishers – Springer Nature. Retrieved 25 May 2022.
- "Communications Engineering". Macmillan Publishers – Springer Nature. Retrieved 25 May 2022.
- "Nature Research open access journals". Macmillan Publishers – Springer Nature. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "How to transfer manuscripts : authors & referees @ npg". www.nature.com. Retrieved 11 February 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nature Communications.|