Naugatuck High School
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2007)|
|Naugatuck High School|
|543 Rubber Avenue
Naugatuck, Connecticut, 06770
|Faculty||127 (2007-2008 school year)|
|Color(s)||Garnet and Grey|
The old high school, now a junior high school, was located on Hillside Ave. The new school is located at 543 Rubber Avenue. The building was constructed in 1959. Three wings were added during the 1970s: Castle House, Goodyear House, and the Applied Education Wing, which contains all the shop classes. The main building is now known as the Judd House. The original building, located on Hillside Ave., was built in 1905 by McKim, Mead, and White and then was the Hillside Middle School until the 2010-2011 term when it became Hillside Intermediate School.
The school mascot is the greyhound and the school colors are garnet and grey. Naugatuck competes against other towns in the Naugatuck Valley. These towns include Waterbury, Watertown, Torrington, Derby, Ansonia, Bristol, Region 16, Seymour, New Haven, and Oxford.
NHS has a storied football rivalry with the high school in Ansonia that is one of the longest in America. Like the other high schools in the Naugatuck Valley, the two teams meet the morning of Thanksgiving Day. The first meeting was in 1900. Ansonia is the long-term winner in the series.
Other notable student activities include the NHS Marching Band, Chamber Singers, NHS Drama Club and AFJROTC.
In 2009, the school added solar panels to its roof.
|This section does not cite any sources. (October 2014)|
Naugatuck competes in the Naugatuck Valley League (NVL) along with schools from Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Bristol, Crosby, Derby, Oxford, Seymour, Torrington, Waterbury, Watertown, Wilby, and Wolcott. Naugatuck has won numerous league and state titles including:
- State Titles:
- Baseball: 1938, 1955, 1963, 1970, 1971, 1977
- Boys Basketball: 1922, 1930, 1931, 1942
- Boys Soccer: 2001, 2002
- Boys Swimming: 1971, 1992
- John Caneira, former MLB player (California Angels)
- Harry Cross, sportswriter (The New York Times, Evening Post, New York Herald Tribune Sunday Magazine)
- Spec Shea, former MLB player (New York Yankees, Washington Senators)
- Naugatuck High School - Naugatuck, Connecticut/CT - Public School Profile
- "Naugatuck High School Marching Band". naugatuckmarchingband.com. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
|This Connecticut school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|