Irish name: Ó Neachtain
|Pronunciation||// or //|
|Meaning||Descendent of Nechtan|
|Region of origin||County Galway, Ireland,|
|Language(s) of origin||Gaelic|
|Related names||Quinn, Hartigan, Norton & Behan|
Naughton (// or //) is an Irish gaelic surname derived from the name Ó Neachtain meaning 'descendent of Nechtan'. A Sept of the Dal gCais of the same stock as Quinn and Hartigan where located in Inchiquin Barony, Co. Clare.
Another O'Neachtain Sept of the Uí Maine who were chiefs of Máenmaige, the plain lying around Loughrea in Galway, until the Cambro-Norman invasion. After the upheaval they settled in the Fews (Barony of Athlone, Co. Roscommon). O'Neachtain appears as Chief of the Fews in several sixteenth century manuscripts, and as late as the eighteen eighties the Naughtons of Thomastown Park posseessed an estate of 4,829 acres (19.54 km2) between Athlone and Ballinasloe.
The English surname Norton has occasionally been substituted for Naughton. The Nortons of Athlone are descended from Feradach O'Neachtain who died in 1790. In County Kerry, Behan or Behane was used interchangeably with Naughton.
Surname of people
- Albert Naughton, former Great Britain Rugby League Player
- Bill Naughton (1910–1992), playwright
- Bobby Naughton (1944-) is an American jazz vibraphonist.
- Cathal Naughton (born 1987), Cork Hurler
- Charlie Naughton (1886–1976), Scottish Comedian, member of The Crazy Gang see also Naughton and Gold
- Christina and Michelle Naughton, American piano duo
- Curtis Naughton (born 1995), English Rugby League player
- Danny Naughton, Former English Rugby League Player
- David Naughton (actor) (1951 - ), American actor
- Denis Naughten (born 1973) Fine Gael politician
- Eileen S. Naughton (1945 - ), American politician
- Eoghan Ó Neachtain, Irish writer, fl. 1901-1932.
- James Naughton (1945 - ), American actor
- Joe Steve O Neachtain, Irish actor and playwright.
- Joel Naughton (Born 1986), is an Australian catcher for the Philadelphia Phillies Baseball organization.
- John Naughton, academic and journalist
- Keith Naughton, Republican political consultant
- Kyle Naughton (1988 - ), English footballer currently playing for Swansea City
- Liam Naughten Fine Gael politician
- Martin Naughton (hurler) (born 1956), Galway Hurler
- Martin Naughton (businessman) (born 1940) Irish entrepreneur
- Michael Naughton is a British academic
- Naturi Naughton (born 1984), American singer and actress
- Rear Admiral Richard J. Naughton, former Superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy.
- Seán Ó Neachtain, former Irish Fianna Fáil politician, born 1947
- Sinéad Ní Neachtain, Irish editor, born 1971.
- Tommy Naughton, Former Dublin Hurling Manager
- Willie Naughton (born 1868), Scottish footballer
- Willie Naughton (footballer, born 1962), Scottish footballer
- MacNaughton is of Scottish origin and they are descended from the eighth century Pictish King Nechtan.
- See Norton (disambiguation)
- The surnames Nocton, Neactain, Nechtan, Naughten, and Quinn come from the same name as Naughton
Historical forms of the name
The surname had undergone a change over the years. Naghtens or O'Naghtens (1870);
- Irish Family Names by Brian DeBreffny, published by Gill & MacMillan in 1982
- Surnames in Ireland by Sean E. Quinn, published by Irish Genealogy Press in 2000
|This page lists people with the surname Naughton. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|