Nauset Regional High School
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Nauset Regional High School|
|North Eastham, Massachusetts|
|Number of students||1,103|
|Color(s)||Black & Gold|
|Athletics conference||Atlantic Coast League|
|Rivals||Dennis-Yarmouth, Barnstable, Monomoy, Sandwich|
|Average SAT scores||526 verbal
1571 total (2015-2016)
|Budget||$28,277,903 total expenditures
$16,818 per pupil (2013)
|Towns Served||Brewster, Orleans, Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro, Provincetown|
|Address / Phone||100 Cable Road
Eastham, MA 02642
|Hours||8:35 AM - 2:57 PM|
Nauset Regional High School an NEASC accredited high school located in North Eastham, Massachusetts. Nauset is inside the Cape Cod National Seashore, making it the only high school on the East Coast located within a National Park. The open campus is situated about a half-mile from Nauset Light. Nauset's colors are Black and Gold and the school's mascot is the Warrior.
As of the 2011-12 school year the school had an enrollment of 1,032 students and around 80 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.33.
About and history
The school consists of 8 main buildings (A-G, and the newest building, N) surrounding an open courtyard. Nauset recently built a brand new fitness center adjacent to the gymnasium. Students and faculty may use the gym free of charge and alumni can purchase a membership. The school is named after a small Native American tribe that lived in the area before it was settled by colonists. Nauset High school serves students from the communities of Brewster, Orleans, Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro, and Provincetown. Nauset also offers an open enrollment program for students located in the towns of Dennis, Harwich and Chatham. Nauset's mascot is the Warrior and the schools colors are Black and Gold.
In 2010, the Provincetown School Board elected to shut down Provincetown High School by the end of the 2012-2013 academic school year due to falling enrollment and lack of funds. The Provincetown School Board elected to merge with the Nauset Regional School District beginning in the 2013-2014 academic year. Students from Provincetown now attend Nauset Regional High School after the closing of Provincetown High School in 2013.
The Nauset School Committee voted to get rid of the Native American logo representing the "Warrior" but will keep the name "Warrior" as the official mascot. The original mascot depicted a Native American man viewed from the side with Black & Gold war paint on his face, and a feather head-dress on his head, very similar to the Washington Redskins Native American logo. The logo for the school is now a block "N" with one half of the "N" painted black, and the other half painted gold.
- Mike DeVito (born 1984, class of 2002), NFL defensive lineman for the Kansas City Chiefs. He played football as well as threw shot put and discus on the Nauset track and field team. DeVito has also played for the New York Jets.
- Nick Minnerath (born 1988), professional basketball player currently playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Meghan Trainor (born 1993, class of 2012), Grammy winning and multi-platinum singer/songwriter currently signed to Epic Records.
- Mike Sherman - Current head football coach at Nauset, former NFL head coach for the Green Bay Packers and Texas A&M
- Nauset Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 24, 2012.
- Super 25 Expert Rankings for 2016-17 Boys Soccer Week 13, USA Today. Accessed May 2, 2017.