|• Type||Municipal Governance|
|Elevation||89 m (292 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||UP 56|
Nautanwa is a town and Nagar Palika in Maharajganj district in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. It is about 87 km from Gorakhpur, 68 km via NH29 and NH730 from Maharajganj and 7 km from Sonauli Indo-Nepal Border.
Nautanwa is a Tehsil/Block in the Mahrajganj District of Uttar Pradesh. According to Census 2011 information the sub-district code of Nautanwa block is 00944. There are about 259 villages in Nautanwa block.
Brick clay is abundant everywhere and bricks are made outside the town areas. The soil in the area is light sandy or dense clay of yellowish brown colour. The sand found in the rivers is medium to coarse grained, greyish white to brownish in colour and is suitable for building construction.
The land seems to be blessed by Buddha's presence. On North (Kapilvastu, Lumbini, Nepal) it has the birthplace of Buddha, and south of it has the death place of Buddha. And on the east is Sita's Birthplace Janakpur(Nepal). As per local ethnohistorical record, it is said that this place is very much related to Buddha. This place is associated with the Buddha period. It is said this is the place where Gautam while renouncing the worldly life and travelling for searching for knowledge travelled through this place. After coming from Kapilvastu (present day it is the region between Birdpur tehsil of Sidharthnagar district and Taulihwa region of Kapilvastu district of Lumbini Anchal of Nepal) towards the eastern India present day Bihar region, he changed his princes cloth and gave to his attended and wore new cloth of ascetic life. It symbolizes the attending just a new body of sage or knowledge seeker instead of prince puzzled in worldly pleasure. That is region why this name Nau-new and Tan-body is called.
- Nautanwa has an average literacy rate of 62%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 71%, and female literacy is 52%.
- In Nautanwa, 17% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Nautanwa is well connected by road and railway. Sonauli at Indo-Nepal border has a Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation which connects major cities of Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Delhi. The town has a called Nautanwa railway station, which is the closest to Lumbini in Nepal and it is the last Station from India End. The two countries have an open border without restrictions on the movement of Nepalese and Indian nationals. There is a customs checkpoint for goods and third country nationals.
|VNBW||BWA||Medium||BHAIRAHAWA||Bhairawa||4 nm N||359||Buddha Air Pvt. Ltd, Saurya Airlines, Simrik Airlines,Yeti Airlines|
|VEGK||GOP||Medium||GORAKHPUR||Gorakhpur||41 nm S||177||Air India Regional|
|FR47722||Small||Kushinagar Airport||47 nm S||146|
|VNBL||BGL||Small||Baglung Airport||Baglung||48 nm N||15|
|VNPK||PKR||Medium||POKHARA||Pokhara||55 nm N||32||Buddha Air Pvt. Ltd, Nepal Airlines, Simrik Airlines,Tara Air, Yeti Airlines|
[Maa Banailiya Temple] is one of the most famous Temple in Nautanwa which, constitutor was from scheduled cast saint, Pyare Das. Now the temple is also acting as a halting place for the tourists.
Chanchai Mata Temple is also a Goddess Durga temple which also holds a hard respect amongst peoples.
Kali Ji's temple in Parsohiya Mohalla is also a famous temple.
Shri Shri Hanuman Mandir has been recently built in 2012 inside the premises of Kali Ji Ka Mandir. And also, a beautiful temple of Lord Hanuman is rebuilt in premises of Maa Banailiya mandir.
Every Year on 20 January a Shobha yatra is conducted which starts from temple premises and goes through the whole market of Nautanwa and ends back at the temple, and on every 21 January, a Jagran organises at temple premises. A large gathering is expected every year.
Being stated on the border place all the caste and religion can be found in Nautanwa. They all live peacefully celebrating the festivals and eve of each other.
Nepali currency is quite common there. Although people here live very peacefully but the entire area and the surrounding areas are mostly covered by Jaiswal's a Hindu subcaste which is prominent in the north-eastern Uttar Pradesh.
People here also get indulged in wrong activities to earn money but accordingly they are thrived by the law and order here. Many criminals and terrorists were caught from the bordering area who tried to enter in the country.
- "Census of India Search details". censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Nautanwa
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Trains from Nautanwa to Gorakhpur Jn