Navachab Gold Mine
Gold quartz from the Navachab Gold Mine.
|Year of acquisition||2014|
The Navachab gold deposit was discovered in October 1984 as a result of an exploration programme conducted. An appraisal was carried out in 1986, followed by feasibility study in 1987, which decided to proceed with the development of the mine. Construction work at the site began in 1988 and was completed within 21 months. Production started at Navachab in 1989, pouring its first gold bar in December 1989. Originally jointly-owned by the Erongo Exploration and Mining Company (70%), the Metal Mining Company of Canada (20%) and Rand Mines Exploration, AngloGold acquired a 70% interest in the mine in 1998, which it increased to a 100% the following year. In 2004, AngloGold and Ashanti merged to form AngloGold Ashanti.
The mine is no longer the only gold mine in Namibia. In 2003, the AngloGold made the decision to switch to owner-mining instead of using contractors. The decision was made after the life of the mine could be extended considerably. It was later claimed by some former contract employees that they had been promised permanent jobs with AngloGold after the switch but not received them. In 2009, the mine employed 578 people, all of which were permanent employees.
For the first time since the start of operations at Navachab, the mine experienced a fatal accident on 2 June 2009 when a drill-rig operator was fatally injured.
Production figures of the recent past were:
|Year||Production||Grade||Cost per ounce|
|2003 ||73,000 ounces||1.75 g/t||US$ 274|
|2004 ||67,000 ounces||1.59 g/t||US$ 348|
|2005 ||81,000 ounces||2.05 g/t||US$ 381|
|2006 ||86,000 ounces||1.81 g/t||US$ 265|
|2007 ||80,000 ounces||1.56 g/t||US$ 419|
|2008 ||68,000 ounces||1.43 g/t||US$ 534|
|2009 ||65,000 ounces||1.58 g/t||US$ 622|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Navachab Gold Mine.|
-  QKR website, accessed: 8 July 2014
- Henckert, Wolfgang (16 March 2006). "Navachab Gold Mine". Henckert Tourist Centre.
- Country report: Namibia AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 8 August 2010
- Navachab to switch to owner mining miningweekly.com, published: 17 October 2003, accessed: 8 August 2010
- Navachab shrugs off claims on job offers The Namibian, published: 7 July 2004, accessed: 8 August 2010
- Annual Report 2009 AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 27 July 2010
- Annual Report 2005 AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 11 July 2010
- Annual Report 2006 AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 11 July 2010
- AngloGold Ashanti website
- Navachap mine (NAM-00072) Secretariat of the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States website
- Gold Geological Survey of Namibia website
- Controls of gold-quartz vein formation during regional folding in amphibolite-facies, marble-dominated metasediments of the Navachab Gold Mine in the Pan-African Damara Belt, Namibia