Naval Network Warfare Command
This article appears to contain a large number of buzzwords. (April 2017)
|United States Naval Network Warfare Command|
|Branch||United States Navy|
|Role||Information Operations, Intelligence, Networks, Space|
|Part of||Fleet Cyber Command|
|Captain Joaquin S. Correia|
Naval Network Warfare Command (NETWARCOM) is the United States Navy's information operations, intelligence, networks, and space unit. Naval Network Warfare Command's mission is to execute, under Commander TENTH Fleet Operational Control, tactical-level command and control of Navy Networks and to leverage Joint Space Capabilities for Navy and Joint Operations.
In 2002, some 23 organizations from several commands, including the former Naval Space Command, Naval Computer and Telecommunications Command, Fleet Information Warfare Center, and Navy Component Task Force - Computer Network Defense were brought together to form Naval Network Warfare Command, emphasizing the organization's focus on the operation and defense of the Navy's networks.
In 2005, with the disestablishment of Naval Security Group (NAVSECGRU), NETWARCOM brought the former Naval Security Group Activities (NSGAs) under its umbrella, designating them Naval Information Operation Center(s) (NIOC) and Naval Information Operation Detachment(s) (NIOD). The mission of the command fundamentally changed, making it the Navy's lead for Information Operations, as well as Networks and Space.
The assumption, alignment, and integration of Fleet Intelligence Type Commander duties, responsibilities and functions at NETWARCOM in 2008 began a measured and evolutionary process to improve integrated Fleet Intelligence and ISR readiness. This alignment provides a single Fleet champion for ISR and positions Fleet Intelligence for better and timelier support to fleet operations.
In 2009, the Secretary of Defense directed the establishment of U.S. Cyber Command. Each of the services was also directed to establish a supporting command to U.S. Cyber Command; as a result, the Naval Informations Operations Centers (NIOC) were moved to the reestablished Tenth Fleet to help form U.S. Fleet Cyber Command. Naval Network Warfare Command was reorganized and its mission revised to "operate and defend the Navy's portion of the Global Information Grid and deliver reliable and secure Net-centric and space war-fighting capabilities in support of strategic, operational and tactical missions across the Navy".
- CTF 1010 - Naval Network Warfare Command
- United States Tenth Fleet
- U.S. Navy Information Dominance Corps
- Naval Computer and Telecommunications Command
- Navy Information Operations Command, Hawaii
- "Pages - NETWARCOM Home". netwarcom.navy.mil.
- Gunder, Joseph (5 October 2005). "Naval Security Group Aligns with NETWARCOM". Story Number: NNS051005-04. Naval Network Warfare Command Public Affairs. Archived from the original on 17 December 2005.
The Navy has integrated all of its Information Operations (IO) capabilities under one authority by formally disestablishing Naval Security Group Command (NAVSECGRU) and aligning its personnel and assets under Naval Network Warfare Command (NETWARCOM).
- Roughead, Gary (23 July 2009), Fleet Cyber Command/Commander Tenth Fleet Implementation Plan, (Memorandum) (PDF), p. Enclosure 3, archived from the original (PDF) on 27 April 2011, retrieved 18 November 2009
- "Navy Establishes Naval Network Warfare Command 28 March 2002 Navy Chief of Information Media Services Branch".
- "TENTH Fleet Standing Forces" (PDF). US Navy. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 March 2013. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- Affairs, This story was written by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Joshua J. Wahl, Fleet Cyber Command / U.S. 10th Fleet Public. "NAVSOC Holds Change of Command, Celebrates 50th Anniversary".