Naval Station Newport
|Naval Station Newport|
|Newport / Middletown, Rhode Island in USA|
Aerial view in 2010
NAVSTA Newport Insignia
|Controlled by||United States Navy|
|In use||1883 - present|
|Captain Douglas W. Mikatarian|
The Naval Station Newport (NAVSTA Newport) is a United States Navy base located in the city of Newport and the town of Middletown, Rhode Island. Naval Station Newport is home to the Naval War College and the Naval Justice School. It once was the homeport for Cruiser Destroyer Force Atlantic (COMCRUDESLANT), which relocated to Naval Station Norfolk in the early 1970s. Newport now maintains inactive ships at its pier facilities, along with the United States Coast Guard. In BRAC 2005 (Base Realignment and Closure), NAVSTA Newport gained over five hundred billets, in addition to receiving, again, the Officer Candidate School (OCS), the Naval Supply Corps School (in 2011), and several other activities, to include a few Army Reserve units.
Naval Station Newport provides the facilities and infrastructure essential to support the operations of tenant commands and visiting fleet units.
The station was home of the decommissioned USS Saratoga (CV-60) after the departure of the USS Forrestal (CV-59) which departed under tow for the inactive ship storage facility in Philadelphia (USS Forrestal (CV-59)#Decommissioning and fate).
On May 8, 2014, Naval Sea Systems Command announced that ESCO Marine, Brownsville, Texas, would scrap Saratoga for one cent. Currently, the Rhode Island Aviation Hall of Fame is trying to move the decommissioned USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) moored at Pier 2 at the station.
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 2, Detachment
- Coastal Riverine Squadron 8
- 7th Naval Construction Regiment
- Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 27 Det 1627
- Naval Undersea Warfare Center
- Naval Academy Preparatory School
- Naval Justice School
- Navy Supply Corps School
- Naval War College
- Officer Candidate School (OCS)
- Officer Development School (ODS)
- Direct Commission Officer Indoctrination Course (DCO)
- Senior Enlisted Academy
- Surface Warfare Officers School
- NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic Public Works Department Newport
- Navy Operational Support Center Newport
- Marine Corps
- Coast Guard
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- See: Navy Supply Corps (United States)#Navy Supply Corps School.
- "Navy Newport History" (PDF). Newport Navalog July 2008. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "Goodbye, Sara". Providence Journal. 31 August 2014. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- Lennon, Frank (20 September 2014). "Frank Lennon: JFK carrier could be big boon for R.I.". Providence Journal. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Naval Station Newport.|