The Korean People's Navy operates along both coastlines from major and minor bases. The Korean People's Navy headquarters is in P'yongyang.
West Sea Fleet
The western fleet has approximately 300 ships.
- Pip'a-got: limited operational and logistical support to patrol craft; also home to some submarines
- Sagot (Sagon-ni): home to Squadron 8
- Ch'o-do: small support base and home to Squadron 9 (fast attack craft)
- Tasa-ri: small naval base
- Haeju: major naval base and ship repair facility close to Demarcation Line
- Yomju (Yomju-gun)
East Sea Fleet
The eastern fleet has approximately 470 ships.
- T'oejo-dong: base for patrol boats and 1 frigate
- Wonsan (Munch'on): large maritime complex and HQ for East Fleet
- Ch'aho (Ch'aho-nodongjagu): one of two submarine bases in North Korea
- Ch'angjon: home base for smaller patrol boats
- Mayangdo: operational and logistical support for submarines, anti-submarine craft, and patrol boats; one of 2 submarine bases in North Korea
- Puam-ni: small base for patrol boats and landing craft
- Mugyepo: base for patrol boats, landing craft and frigates
- Rason (Rajin): major naval operations and training centre
- Puam Dong: base for patrol boats and landing craft
- Songjon-Pando: support base for patrol and missile boats; part of the larger Wonsan naval/maritime complex
Some ships are domestically built at the Wonsan and Nampho shipyards. Southern bases on both coasts are used to organize infiltrations into South Korea and Japan.