Navigators of Dune
First edition cover
Kevin J. Anderson
|Audio read by||Scott Brick|
|Series||Great Schools of Dune|
|September 13, 2016|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
|Preceded by||Mentats of Dune|
Navigators of Dune is a 2016 science fiction novel by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, set in the Dune universe created by Frank Herbert. It is the third book in their Great Schools of Dune prequel trilogy, which itself is a sequel to their Legends of Dune trilogy. Set nearly a century after the events of 2004's Dune: The Battle of Corrin, the novel continues to chronicle the beginnings of the Bene Gesserit, Mentat and Suk Schools, as well as the Spacing Guild, all of which are threatened by the independent anti-technology forces gaining power in the aftermath of the Butlerian Jihad. The Great Schools of Dune trilogy, first mentioned by Anderson in a 2010 blog post, chronicles the early years of these organizations, which figure prominently in the original Dune novels.
In a 2009 interview Anderson stated that the third and final novel would be titled The Swordmasters of Dune, but by 2014 it had been renamed Navigators of Dune. On July 27, 2015, Anderson previewed the cover of Navigators of Dune on Twitter and noted its 2016 release. The novel was published on September 13, 2016.
- "Classify An experimental classification web service". OCLC Classify. OCLC. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- Gencarelli, Mike (March 27, 2013). "Kevin J. Anderson talks about books Hellhole Awakening, Mentats of Dune and working with Rush's Neil Peart on Clockwork Angels". MediaMikes.com. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "MENTATS OF DUNE final cover and jacket text". KJAblog.com (Internet Archive). November 15, 2013. Archived from the original on November 27, 2013. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- Anderson, Kevin J. (July 15, 2010). "Brainstorming THE SISTERHOOD OF DUNE". DuneNovels.com (Internet Archive). Archived from the original on May 18, 2011. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "Official site: Sisterhood of Dune". DuneNovels.com (Internet Archive). January 2012. Archived from the original on November 13, 2013. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- Gaffen, Adam (January 22, 2013). "A Conversation with Kevin J. Anderson". Amazing Stories. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Neuman, Clayton (August 17, 2009). "Winds of Dune Author Brian Herbert on Flipping the Myth of Jihad". AMCtv.com. Archived from the original on September 21, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
I got a call from an estate attorney who asked me what I wanted to do with two safety deposit boxes of my dad's ... in them were the notes to Dune 7 — it was a 30-page outline. So I went up in my attic and found another 1,000 pages of working notes.
- Anderson, Kevin J. (November 25, 2014). "Brainstorming NAVIGATORS OF DUNE". KJAblog.com. Archived from the original on September 12, 2015. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- Anderson, Kevin J. (July 27, 2015). "Sneak preview of NAVIGATORS OF DUNE!". Twitter. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- Eddy, Cheryl (September 5, 2016). "Add All 19 Of These New Science Fiction And Fantasy Books To Your September Reading List". Gizmodo. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- Herbert, Brian; Anderson, Kevin J. (November 1, 2016). "Dune: Red Plague". Tor.com. Retrieved November 3, 2016.