Navinchandra Jamnadas Engineer
|Known for||Founder and owner, Chemidex|
|Net worth||GBP £1.1 billion (April 2015)|
Navinchandra Jamnadas Engineer (born May 1951) is a British billionaire, the owner of Chemidex, a pharmaceutical company that he founded in 1981.
Navinchandra Jamnadas Engineer was born in May 1951. His father worked for the Kenyan civil service. In 1963, he was sent from Kenya to London to live with his aunt, and later studied at the London School of Pharmacy.
Engineer's first job on graduation was a pharmacist for the Boots the Chemist chain, which he found "a little bit like the civil service"; one day he was shocked by a visiting area manager asking for a cup of tea when he was busy dispensing prescriptions, and resigned the same day.
In 1981, Chemidex opened its first pharmacy in Chertsey, Surrey. In 1999, he had 14 pharmacies which he sold to the German company Celesio for a reported £12 million. Chemidex then became a pharmaceutical company, and it acquired its first brand in 2000.
- "Sunday Times Rich List". The Sunday Times (page 33). 26 April 2015.
- "Chemidex Generics Limited". Companies House. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Navin Engineer, London, United Kingdom | Kenyan Jewels". Alusainc.wordpress.com. 2009-02-02. Retrieved 2015-10-05.
- "Pharma families". Management Today. Retrieved 2015-10-05.
- "Chemidex Pharma Limited: Private Company Information - Businessweek". Businessweek.com. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "Asian Power Couples Hot 100 - Surnames from D - FAsian Power Couples". Asianpowercouples.com. Retrieved 2015-10-05.
- "Chemidex Pharma - licensing and marketing of prescription pharmaceuticals". Chemidex.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-10-05.
|This United Kingdom business–related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|