Navy League of Australia
The Navy League of Australia is an Australian organisation and advocacy group dedicated to creating interest in maritime and naval matters, particularly those relating to the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) and the Australian Merchant Navy.
The Navy League of Australia was established in November 1900 as the Australian branch of the United Kingdom Navy League. State-level sub-branches were combined under a federal body in 1939, and in 1950, the Navy League of Australia began to operate independently of its British parent.
The organisation's main aims are to promote the ideas of a strong navy and merchant navy to Australian people, politicians, and the media, support organisations and industries that work towards improving and maintaining the maritime and defence industries, and promoting an interest in maritime matters to Australian youth. In 1920, the New South Wales branch of the Navy League established a cadet-training organisation, the Navy League Sea Cadet Corps. This operated until 1973, when the Sea Cadet Corps was merged with a rival organisation operated by the RAN Reserve to form the Australian Naval Cadets (ANC). Although operated by the RAN, the Navy League continues to support and assist the ANC.
A quarterly journal titled The Navy has been published by the Navy League of Australia since 1938, with a predecessor publication published between 1920 and 1932.
- Stojanovich, in Oldham, 100 Years of the Royal Australian Navy, p. 277
- Dennis et al., The Oxford Companion to Australian Military History, p. 382
- Stojanovich, in Oldham, 100 Years of the Royal Australian Navy, pp. 277-8
- Stojanovich, in Oldham, 100 Years of the Royal Australian Navy, p. 278
- Dennis, Peter; Grey, Jeffrey; Morris, Ewan; Prior, Robin (2008). The Oxford Companion to Australian Military History (2nd ed.). South Melbourne, VIC: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-551784-2. OCLC 271822831.
- Stojanovich, Dan (2011). "The Navy - A Celebrated, Proud and Caring Family". In Oldham, Charles. 100 Years of the Royal Australian Navy. Bondi Junction, NSW: Faircount Media Group. OCLC 741711418. Retrieved 20 June 2011.