Navy Medical Service Corps
|United States Navy Medical Service Corps|
Seal of the United States Navy Medical Service Corps
|Founded||August 4, 1947|
|Country||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Navy|
|Role||Military medical support and research|
|Size||2,600 officers (approximately)|
The United States Navy Medical Service Corps is a staff corps of the U.S. Navy, consisting of officers engaged in medical support duties. It includes healthcare scientists and researchers, comprising around 60% of its personnel, and healthcare administrators, comprising the remaining 40%. Many of the latter are former enlisted hospital corpsmen, the Medical Service Corps Inservice Procurement Program (MSC-IPP) being one of several routes from enlisted service to commissioned status. The Medical Service Corps has around 2,600 serving commissioned officers.
Prior Chiefs / Directors
|RADM Timothy H. Weber||2019-Present|
|RADM Anne M. Swap||2015-2019|
|RADM Terry J. Moulton||2012-2015|
|RADM Eleanor V. Valentin ||2009-2012|
|RADM Michael Mittelman ||2006-2009|
|CAPT Brian G. Brannman||2004-2006|
|RADM J. Philip Van Landingham||1999-2004|
|RADM H. Edward Phillips||1995-1999|
|RADM S. Todd Fisher||1993-1995|
|RADM Charles Loar||1991-1993|
|RADM Donald Shuler||1987-1991|
|RADM Lewis Angelo||1982-1978|
|CAPT Paul Nelson||1978-1982|
|CAPT William Green Jr.||1976-1978|
|CAPT Albert Schwab||1973-1976|
|CAPT Emmett VanLandingham||1968-1973|
|CAPT Robert Hermann||1962-1968|
|CAPT Leo J. Elsasser||1958-1962|
|CAPT Willard C. Caukins||1954-1958|
The Navy Medical Service Corps was created on 4 August 1947 by act of the United States Congress. Originally it had four specialist sections: Supply and Administration, Optometry, Allied Sciences, and Pharmacy. Currently the Navy Medical Service Corps has three sections: Healthcare Administration, Healthcare Sciences, and Clinical Care Providers.
Healthcare Sciences are subdivided into the following fields of specialty:
- Aerospace Experimental Psychology
- Aerospace Physiology
- Environmental Health
- Industrial Hygiene
- Medical Technology
- Research Physiology
- Radiation Health
- Research Psychology
Clinical Care Providers are subdivided into the following fields of specialty:
- Clinical Psychology
- Dietitian/Food Management
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Physician Assistant
- Social Work
- Medical Service Corps (U.S. Army)
- Medical Specialist Corps (U.S. Army)
- Biomedical Sciences Corps (U.S. Air Force)
- Medical Service Corps (U.S. Air Force)
- "Navy Medical Service Corps" (PDF). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-02-11. Retrieved 2017-04-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- The Medical Service Corps at navy.mil (view HTML)
- Medical Service Corps at navy.com
- "Change Of Office And Retirement Ceremony for the Director, Medical Service Corps". 2004-01-16. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Kowitz, Regena (2019-08-12). "Navy's 19th Director of the Medical Service Corps Takes Charge with a Nod to the Past and Eyes on the Future". US Navy. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Rear Adm. Terry Moulton, left and Capt. Anne Swap, right, cut the cake at the MSC change of office ceremony". US Navy. 2015-12-01. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "Biography, Rear Admiral Anne M. Swap". US Navy. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "Medical Service Corps Receives New Corps Chief". US Navy. 2012-08-30. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "Medical Service Corps Receives New Director". US Navy. 2009-10-08. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- Naval Medical Research Center official webpage (on USN official website)
- Medical Service Corps. Navy.com (Health Care Opportunities)
|This United States Navy article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|