Navy Times Cover July 19, 2010
|Owner(s)||Sightline Media Group|
|Headquarters||6883 Commercial Drive, Springfield, Virginia 22159, US|
|Circulation||55,482 (June 2013)|
Navy Times (ISSN 0028-1697) is a weekly newspaper serving active, reserve and retired United States Navy personnel and their families, providing news, information and analysis as well as community lifestyle features, educational supplements and resource guides. Navy Times also reports limited coverage on the United States Coast Guard.
Navy Times is published by the Sightline Media Group, which is a part of TEGNA Digital, which itself is owned by TEGNA, Inc. Prior to becoming Sightline Media Group, it was formerly known as Gannett Government Media from 1997 - 2015 until it was spun-off into one of the digital properties of TEGNA. Prior to being owned by Gannett in 1997, it was known as the Army Times Publishing Company when it was published by Times Journal Company.
Navy Times was founded by Mel Ryder, owner of Army Times Publishing Company in 1951. Ryder began his newspaper career on the staff of Stars and Stripes selling and delivering papers to the troops on the front lines during WWI. In 1921 he joined Willard Kiplinger in forming the newsletter service, the Kiplinger Agency. He sold his interest in the agency in 1933 and began publishing Happy Days, a paper written for members of the Civilian Conservation Corps. His first order was for 400 copies and the first advertiser was GEICO. Next, Ryder started the publication of Army Times. The first issue was published in 1940 and the company was incorporated the same year.
In June 2009, Navy Times started its "Scoop Deck" blog.
In 2002, then-Senior Staff Writer John Burlage, received the United States Navy's Superior Public Service Award for a journalism career that spanned 25 years as an enlisted Navy journalist and 18 more years working for Navy Times.
- Tony Lombardo, Managing Editor
- Kevin Lilley, News Editor
- Gidget Fuentes, San Diego Bureau Chief
- Mark Faram, Senior Writer
- Sam Fellman, Senior writer
- Joshua Stewart, staff writer
- Jacqueline Klimas, Staff Writer
Military Times Service Member of the Year
Each year Military Times honors an "Everyday Hero": "Someone with whom you are proud to serve. Someone whose dedication, professionalism and concern for fellow service members and community set a standard for all of us. There is a Marine of the year, Soldier of the year, Sailor of the year, Airman of the year and Coast Guardsman of the year. Each service member is nominated by their peers for Military Times selection." The winners are honored at a formal ceremony on Capitol Hill, in Washington, D.C.
- "Alliance for Audited Media Snapshot Report - 6/30/2013". Alliance for Audited Media. June 30, 2013. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "GANNETT CO INC /DE/ - GCI Annual Report (10-K) STOCKHOLDERS EQUITY". Sec.edgar-online.com. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- "The Scoop Deck". Militarytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Military Times Service Members of the Year". Militarytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- Official website
- Navy Times Facebook page
- Navy Times Twitter page
- Scoop Deck: The official blog of Navy Times
- Military Times Service Member of the Year web site