United Arab Emirates Navy
This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (May 2013)
|United Arab Emirates Navy|
|دولة الامارات العربية المتحدة|
|Part of||Union Defence Force|
The United Arab Emirates Navy is small force of about 2,500 personnel. It maintains 12 well-equipped coastal patrol boats and eight missile boats. Although primarily concerned with coastal defense, the Navy is constructing a six-unit class of blue water corvettes in conjunction with French shipbuilder CMN. The UAE maintains a small battalion-sized marine force called the UAE Marines equipped with BMP-3 armoured personnel carriers.
Swedish shipbuilder Swede Ship Marine have built four 24 m Amphibious Troop Transport Vessel and one 25 m Fast Supply Vessel for the UAE Navy (delivered between 2003 and 2005). Three additional vessels are being built by Swede Ship Marine for the UAE Navy (see Future Navy).
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2017)
|Class||Type||Photo||Number of Ships||Notes|
|Abu-Dhabi class||corvettes||3||Abu Dhabi,Gantt, Salalah.1,650 tons, 88.40 metres length - 4 × MM40 Block 3 Exocet anti-ship missiles, 1 × Otobreda 76 mm Super Rapid gun, 2 × remote controlled 30 mm guns, 1 helicopter carried.|
|Baynunah class corvettes||corvettes||6||930 tons - 8 × MM40 Block 3 Exocet anti-ship missiles, 21x RIM-116 RAM SAM, 1 × Otobreda 76 mm Super Rapid gun, 1 AS-565 helo (based on the CMN Group's Combattante BR70 design).|
|Muray-Jib||corvettes||2||630 tons full load / 63 metres length - 8 MM-40 SSM, 1X8 Crotale SAM - 1 × 76 mm and 1 × 30 mm gun — commissioned 1990-1 - SA 316 Helicopter |
|Arialah-class||offshore patrol vessel||1||67m metres length - 1 x 57mm and 2 x 30mm guns - 11 cell RAM missile system|
|Ban-Yas (Lürssen TNC-45)||fast attack craft||6||TNC 45 fast attack craft - 260 tons full load / 44.9 metres length - 4 MM-40 Block III SSM - 1 × 76 mm and 2 × 40 mm guns — commissioned 1980-1 - will be upgraded to Mubarraz class|
|Mubarraz class||fast attack craft||2||260 tons full load / 44.9 metres length - 4 MM-40 SSM - 1 × 6 Mistral SAM - 1 × 76 mm and 2 × 40 mm guns — commissioned 1990|
|Ardhana class||patrol craft||6||175 tons full load — commissioned 1975-6|
|Unknown||patrol boats, fast||20||4 tons|
|Unknown||landing craft tank||7|
|Unknown||Landing Craft Utility||5|
|Ghannatha||fast attack landing crafts||12||will be upgraded to Gnannatha Phase II class |
- 4 other ships
- HSV-2 Swift - Sub-leased or transferred from the UAE's National Marine Dredging Company sometime early in 2015. Used for logistics and related activities as part of the ongoing Saudi Arabian-led intervention in Yemen, including reportedly in support of amphibious operations. This ship was directly hit by a Houthi attack and severely damaged during operations in October 2016. 
4 Falaj 2 class patrol vessel (based on the Italian Diciotti class) on order, 2 being fitted out - 550 tons - 4 MM-40 Exocets - 6 Mica VL SAM (2 more to be produced with 2 more in the future, grand total 8)
One 26 m Offshore Patrol Vessel, one 24 m Amphibious Troop Transport Vessel and one 24 m Patrol Vessel is under construction for the UAE Navy.
- IISS 2009 The Military Balance 2010
- "United Arab Emirates". state.gov. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 2, 2012. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- "Fincantieri to build U.A.E. corvette". United Press International. 19 August 2009.
- Italian Ministry of Defense
- "Abu Dhabi class ASW Corvette - UAE Navy(navy recognition)". February 13, 2013.
- Navyrecognition (12 February 2014). "World Defence News: Abu Dhabi Ship Building delivers Al Hili, sixth and last Baynunah class Corvette to the UAE Navy". worlddefencenews.blogspot.com. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- "United Arab Emirates" (PDF). www.inss.org.il. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 January 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- "New UAE patrol ship presents a striking profile". Defense News. 22 February 2017. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- "В ОАЭ спущен на воду первый ракетный катер национальной постройки". flotprom.ru. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- "VIDEO: HSV Swift hit by missile attack - Marine Log". marinelog.com. Retrieved 16 January 2017.