The front page of Nawa-i-waqt, May 22, 2010
|Editor||Syed Afaq Hussain|
|Founded||Founded in 1941 by Hameed Nizami|
Nawa-i-Waqt (Urdu: روزنامہ نوائے وقت) is an Urdu daily newspaper in Pakistan. It was launched on March 23, 1940, under the leadership of Hameed Nizami (3 Oct 1915-22 Feb 1962). Hameed Nizami was the founder of this newspaper. His younger brother Majid Nizami (3 April 1928 – 26 July 2014) was the chief editor and publisher of Nawa-i-Waqt Group of Publications until he died in 2014. It is one of the most influential newspapers in the country. It has a special position in Pakistan's media, as the guardian of Pakistan's ideology, with well-established center-right and nationalist credentials. Currently, it is one of the four top influential Urdu newspapers in Pakistan. In 2016, Rameeza Majid Nizami (daughter of Majid Nizami) serves as the Managing Director of Nawa-i-Waqt Group of Publications and was also elected as the Senior Vice President of All Pakistan Newspapers Society (APNS).
Nawa-i-Waqt first came out on March 23, 1940, as a fortnightly periodical. It passionately supported the All India Muslim League. In those days it had a pro-American and anti-communist stance. The editors were Afaq Hussain Johar, a student of Islamia College, and Shabbar Hasan, a student of King Edward Medical University. They were influenced by a nationalist periodical Aligarh Opinion, which was launched by Syed Sibte Hassan, Khwaja Ahmad Abbas and Dr. Ashraf who were close friends of Dr. Shabbar Hasan. On December 15, 1942 the fortnightly was turned into a weekly and finally into a daily on July 19, 1944.
The group has several publications including the flagship Nawa-i-Waqt newspaper in Urdu and The Nation newspaper in English, Nida-i-Millat, a family magazine, and the monthly children's magazine, Phool.
Nawa-i-Waqt Group has also entered the electronic broadcast media with a 24-hour news and entertainment channel Waqt News. This channel is not only available on television broadcast, but also streamed live on the Internet.
Staff and columnists
Its columnists include Malik Fida-ur-Rehman, Lt. Gen. Abdul Qayyum (retired), Saeed Aasi, Ajmal Niazi, Taiba Zia Cheema, Nazeer Ahmad Ghazi, Dr. Syed Mehboob, Fazal Hussain Awan, Dr. Akhtar Shumaar, Bushra Rahman, Qayyum Nizami, Professor Zahoor Ahmad Azhar, Aseer Ahmed, Sikander Baloch, Javed Siddique and Lt. Col. (R) Abdul Razaque Bugti.
Arif Nizami (son of the newspaper founder Hameed Nizami) was a long-time editor of the English language daily newspaper The Nation but resigned due to differences with his uncle Majid Nizami before his uncle's death in 2014.
Nawa-i-Waqt Group of Publications
Magazines and newspapers published by this company are:
- Phool - monthly magazine for children in Urdu language
- Family Magazine - Weekly for Women in Urdu language
- Nida-i-Millat - a weekly magazine in Urdu language
- The Nation - A daily English newspaper from Lahore, Pakistan
- Waqt News TV Channel
- Rameeza Majid Nizami (Managing Director of Nawa-i-Waqt) on The Nation newspaper Published 26 March 2016, Retrieved 5 April 2018
- Hameed Nizami, the founder of Nawa-i-Waqt newspaper on Dawn newspaper Published 27 July 2014, Retrieved 5 April 2018
- Profile of Majid Nizami on journalismpakistan.com website Retrieved 5 April 2018
- Rameeza Majid Nizami elected as Senior Vice President of All Pakistan Newspapers Society Published 31 March 2016, Retrieved 5 April 2018
- Waqt News TV channel official website Retrieved 5 April 2018
- Profile of Arif Nizami on pakistantimes.com website Retrieved 5 April 2018
- Profile of 'Family Magazine' on epapers.pk website Retrieved 5 April 2018
- Homepage of 'The Nation' daily newspaper Retrieved 5 April 2018