Shaheed Benazirabad District
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Shaheed Benazir Abad
Map of Sindh with Shaheed NawabshahDistrict
|• D.C||Abrar Ahmed Jaffar|
|• District Chairman||Sardar Jam Tamachi Unar|
|• Total||4,502 km2 (1,738 sq mi)|
|• Density||360/km2 (930/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (PST)|
|Website||District Govt. website |
Nawabshah City website
Shaheed Benazirabad District (Sindhi ضلعو بينظير آباد ), previously known as Nawabshah District (Sindhi نوابشاہ), is one of the districts in the province of Sindh, Pakistan. The district was renamed in September 2008 when most of MPAs of Nawabshah demanded the district be renamed to honour the late party leader. The renaming of the district was criticised by the family of Syed Nawabshah and others who, while saddened at the death of Bhutto , felt that Nawabshah was a historic district and ought to have kept its name.
At the establishment of the district in 1912, the seven talukas were included in this district:
- Naushero Feroze
In 1953 the talukas of Shahdadpur and Sinjhoro became part of the newly established Sanghar District, while in 1989 another part of the district (the talukas of Nausehro Feroz, Kandiaro and half of the taluka of Moro) were cleaved out to form the new Naushahro Feroze District.
In May 2014, a 5.0 magnitude earthquake struck the district, killing one person and injuring 70.
The population counted in the 1998 census was 1,072,000, which according to estimates from 2011 has increased to 1,585,000. 96.3% of the population are Muslim, and 2.77% – Hindu. The major first language is Sindhi, accounting for 79% of the population. Urdu was the first language of 8.7%, Punjabi – 7.9% and Balochi – 1.8%.
Low learning outcome issues remain a hindrance for district Shaheed Benazirabad. Issues reported by the residents via the Taleem Do! App complain of the lack of primary schools in the area. The debate on whether basic education should be provided in the regional, national or official languages has been a point of debate in Pakistan for several years.
Major educational institutions and schools
Educational institutions in district Benazirabad include:
- Quaid-e-Awam University of Engineering, Science and Technology
- Shaheed Benazir Bhutto University
- Shaheed Benazir Bhutto University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Sakrand
- Peoples University of Medical and Health Sciences
- "DISTRICT WISE CENSUS RESULTS CENSUS 2017" (PDF). www.pbscensus.gov.pk. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-08-29.
- "Nawabshah renamed after Benazir Bhutto". Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- PCO 2000, p. 10.
- Magnitude 5 Earthquake Kills 1 In Pakistan Archived 2014-05-12 at the Wayback Machine, npr.org.
- PCO 2000, p. 21.
- "Sindh population surges by 81.5 pc, households by 83.9 pc". Thenews.com.pk. 2 April 2012. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- PCO 2000, p. 24.
- PCO 2000, p. 26.
- The H.M Khoja Annual Flower Show[permanent dead link]
- 1998 District census report of Nawabshah. Census publication. 63. Islamabad: Population Census Organization, Statistics Division, Government of Pakistan. 2000.
- Website of the Election Commission of Pakistan (Election Results National Assembly)
- The book Aeena Zila Nawabshah compiled and written by Muhammad Ayub Shad