The front page of Nawa-i-waqt, May 22, 2010
|Editor||Syed Afaq Hussain|
|Founded||Founded in 1941 by Hameed Nizami|
Nawa-i-Waqt (Urdu: روزنامہ نوائے وقت) is an Urdu daily newspaper in Pakistan. It was launched on March 23, 1940, under the leadership of Hameed Nizami (3 Oct 1915-22 Feb 1962). Hameed Nizami was the founder of this newspaper. His younger brother Majid Nizami (3 April 1928-26 July 2014) was the chief editor and publisher of Nawa-i-Waqt Group of Publications until he died in 2014. It is one of the most influential newspapers in the country. It has a special position in Pakistan's media, as the guardian of Pakistan's ideology, with well-established center-right and nationalist credentials. Currently, it is one of the four top influential Urdu newspapers in Pakistan. In 2016, Rameeza Majid Nizami (daughter of Majid Nizami) serves as the Managing Director of Nawa-i-Waqt Group of Publications and was also elected as the Senior Vice President of All Pakistan Newspapers Society (APNS).
Nawa-i-Waqt first came out on March 23, 1940, as a fortnightly periodical. It passionately supported the All India Muslim League. In those days it had a pro-American and anti-communist stance. The editors were Afaq Hussain Johar, a student of Islamia College, and Shabbar Hasan, a student of King Edward Medical University. They were influenced by a nationalist periodical Aligarh Opinion, which was launched by Syed Sibte Hassan, Khwaja Ahmad Abbas and Dr. Ashraf who were close friends of Dr. Shabbar Hasan. On December 15, 1942 the fortnightly was turned into a weekly and finally into a daily on July 19, 1944.
The group has been gaining acceptance nationwide as a flag-bearer of Ideology of Pakistan as well as a highly credible newspaper that always tries to report in an impartial and honest manner. The group has several publications including the flagship Nawa-i-Waqt newspaper in Urdu and The Nation newspaper in English, Nida-i-Millat, a family magazine, and the monthly children's magazine, Phool.
The Nawa-i-Waqt Group enjoys a leading position as an opinion maker within Pakistan's independent national media, both in news as well as in views, on account of its forthright and bold approach to objective journalism and the tenets of Islam, the ideology of Pakistan, and the 'pre-1947 two-nation theory for the Indian subcontinent'. This newspaper had supported the Pakistan Movement for the creation of Pakistan. Since 1940, it has attained high credibility among the public.
Its core mission is to empower its readers and viewers through its content. The newspapers and television channels of the Nawa-i-Waqt group provide a unique perspective to the news.
The Nawa-i-Waqt Group has always promoted national unity, integration and truthful reporting of the news in the supreme interest of Pakistan. It firmly believes in the independence of press and media, both in print and electronic forms.
Nawa-i-Waqt Group has also entered the electronic broadcast media with a 24-hour news and entertainment channel Waqt News. This channel is not only available on television broadcast, but also streamed live on the Internet.
Staff and columnists
Its columnists include Malik Fida-ur-Rehman, Lt. Gen. Abdul Qayyum (retired), Saeed Aasi, Ajmal Niazi, Taiba Zia Cheema, Nazeer Ahmad Ghazi, Dr. Syed Mehboob, Fazal Hussain Awan, Dr. Akhtar Shumaar, Bushra Rahman, Qayyum Nizami, Professor Zahoor Ahmad Azhar, Aseer Ahmed, Sikander Baloch, Javed Siddique and Lt. Col. (R) Abdul Razaque Bugti.
Arif Nizami (son of the newspaper founder Hameed Nizami) was a long-time editor of the English language daily newspaper The Nation but resigned due to differences with his uncle Majid Nizami before his uncle's death in 2014.
Nawa-i-Waqt Group of Publications
Magazines and newspapers published by this company are:
- Phool - monthly magazine for children in Urdu language
- Family Magazine - Weekly for Women in Urdu language
- Nida-i-Millat - a weekly magazine in Urdu language
- The Nation - A daily English newspaper from Lahore, Pakistan
- http://nation.com.pk/national/26-Mar-2016/rameeza-majid-nizami-ties-the-knot, Rameeza Majid Nizami (Managing Director of Nawa-i-Waqt) on The Nation newspaper, Published 26 March 2016, Retrieved 7 Sep 2016
- http://www.dawn.com/news/1121901, Hameed Nizami, the founder of Nawa-i-Waqt newspaper on Dawn newspaper, Published 27 July 2014, Retrieved 7 Sep 2016
- http://www.journalismpakistan.com/hall-detail.php?hallid=33&pageid=famed, Profile of Majid Nizami on journalismpakistan.com website, Retrieved 7 Sep 2016
- https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/pakistan/apns-elects-sarmad-ali-as-president-umer-mujib-shami-secretary-general/, Rameeza Majid Nizami elected as Senior Vice President of All Pakistan Newspapers Society, Published 31 March 2016, Retrieved 7 Sep 2016
- http://www.waqtnews.tv/, Waqt News TV channel official website, Retrieved 7 Sep 2016
- https://www.pakistantimes.com/topics/arif-nizami/, Profile of Arif Nizami on pakistantimes.com website, Retrieved 7 Sep 2016
- http://family.epapers.pk/, Profile of 'Family Magazine' on epapers.pk website, Retrieved 7 Sep 2016
- http://www.nation.com.pk/, Homepage of 'The Nation' daily newspaper, Retrieved 7 Sep 2016
- http://www.nawaiwaqt.com.pk/, Nawa-i-Waqt newspaper homepage, Retrieved 7 Sep 2016
|This article about a Pakistani newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|