Nawton, New Zealand
|Local authority||Hamilton, New Zealand|
|Electoral ward||Hamilton West|
Community Centres and schools
There are at least two community centres in Nawton. These include the Western Community Centre and the Good News Community Centre, which opened in 2014. Nawton is the locale of Nawton Primary School and Hamilton's Fraser High School.
A community constable was removed from the area in 2014. Neil Tolan (a Hamilton community advocate) believed that the loss of community constables would have a radical impact on neighbourhoods and lead to unreported crimes. In 2014, it was found that a number of the suburb's homes were sinking. This meant that flooding and large-scale damage was caused. In April 2016, Nawton was found to be the Hamilton's worst suburb for dog attacks. In December of that year, Hamilton mayor Andrew King opened a million dollar playground at Dominion Park as part of the city council's Playgrounds of the Future plan. The playground (known as Te oko o Kirikiriroa) became one of seven destination playgrounds in the city. In 2017, a petition called for a return of devoted community police officers. The petition was co-organized by Labour MP Sue Moroney, Western Community Centre manager Neil Tolan and city councillor James Casson at that year's Waitangi Day celebrations.
- "Hamilton Map". Hamilton City Council. Archived from the original on 23 September 2010. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- Caitlin Moorby (9 December 2016). "Hamilton's newest destination playground opens". Stuff. Retrieved 2 December 2019.
- Chris Gardner (3 December 2013). "Why St Mark's Nawton is packed each Sunday". Stuff. Retrieved 3 December 2019.
- "Police appeal for witnesses after aggravated robbery". Stuff. 1 June 2019. Retrieved 2 December 2019.
- "Burglary fail: Hamilton teens steal about $3 in cafe smash then hand themselves in". The New Zealand Herald. 6 May 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2019.
- Elton Rikihana Smallman (20 January 2017). "Hamilton residents: Nawton has its problems, but it's no 'hellhole'". Stuff. Retrieved 2 December 2019.
- Libby Wilson (1 December 2019). "Sudden death near Hamilton community centre". Stuff. Retrieved 2 December 2019.
- Libby Wilson (30 July 2014). "Good news as $1m Nawton centre opens". Stuff. Retrieved 3 December 2019.
- Caitlin Moorby (20 June 2016). "Nawton School develops medicinal plant garden". Stuff. Retrieved 2 December 2019.
- "Fraser High School principal Virginia Crawford angers with truant speech". The New Zealand Herald. 21 September 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2019.
- Aaron Leaman (17 June 2014). "Hamilton's sinking suburb". Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- Te Ahua Maitland (21 April 2016). "Hamilton dog attacks highest in Nawton". Stuff. Retrieved 2 December 2019.
- "Neighbours of Hamilton playground verbally abused". 6 January 2017. Retrieved 3 December 2019.
- Phillipa Yalden (6 February 2017). "Petition calls for reintroduction of dedicated community police officers". Retrieved 3 December 2019.
|This Waikato geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|