|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015)|
|• Body||Naya Raipur Development Authority|
|• Official||Hindi, Chhattisgarhi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||CG 04|
|Nearest city||Raipur, Mahasamund, Rajim, Arang, Abhanpur,|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Raipur|
|Civic agency||Naya Raipur Development Authority|
Naya Raipur is located between National Highways NH-6 and NH-43, about 17 km south-east of the current capital Raipur; Swami Vivekananda Airport separates the old and new cities. Naya Raipur is serving as the administrative capital of the State and also caters to the infrastructural needs of industry and trade in the region. Naya Raipur is surrounded by the cities of Raipur, Arang, Mahasamund, Rajim and Abhanpur. Naya Raipur covers an area of about 8000 hectares. It includes 41 villages out of which 27 villages form the core of Naya Raipur. During the renovation of villages for the construction of Naya Raipur, it displaced the population of one village.
About half of the total acquired land is being used for afforestation, roads, parks, public conveniences, water facilities-canals, green belts etc.; twenty three percent (23%) of the land would be reserved for educational institutions, government offices and public auditoriums etc.; and thirty percent (30%) of the land will be used for residential and economical purposes.
The city is expected to house about 4.5 lakh (450,000) people within a decade. Provisions have been made for its expansion and to upgrade infrastructure in the future.
Objectives of Naya Raipur
A satellite city to Raipur, holding capital function, is the primary identity of Naya Raipur. It will be modern in the use of technology, uphold worthy traditions and core values, and conserve the prevailing man-nature symbiotic culture as well as abundant nature and cultural assets in the region. The citizens will be offered a wide range of living options with equity and dignity; an efficient engine of growth and prosperity.
- A servicing hub not only in manufacturing of goods but also in information Technology and Bio-Technology sectors.
- A financial centre of the region.
- Hub of trade and hospitality sectors in Naya Raipur.
- Hub of cultural services which would supplement local economy.
- Hub of affordable and high quality medical services.
- Hub of quality educational facilities and strive to develop as a knowledge base.
However, the vision of the city in physical terms, i.e. its form and function in two as well as three dimensional terms is delineated in a subsequent section.
For all the lofty mundane purposes bestowed on this city, a comprehensive exercise was undertaken to find a perfect location for it. An imaginary circle of 50 km radius was drawn around Raipur and this massive area was divided into four quadrants.
Each quadrant was analyzed in context of regional development, existing development, climatic factors, flora and fauna, water resources, transport network etc. and the efforts yielded the present site southeast of Raipur at about 15 km distance, close to Mana Airport. The site selection methodology and site profile are detailed.
Naya Raipur Development Authority (NRDA)
After formation of new state Chhattisgarh in November 2000, the state government has decided to create a well planned new city for Raipur. Hence Special area has been notified under section 64 of Nagar Tatha Gramnivesh Adhiniyam 1973.
The authority thus formed is the Capital Area Development Authority (CADA) which is now called the Naya Raipur Development Authority (NRDA). NRDA is the nodal agency undertaking comprehensive development of this 'greenfield' city.
Chief Executive officers are appointed by government and other officers and staff working under NRDA organization. Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer]] P. Joy Oommen is the chairman of the NRDA, while Amit Kataria is its chief executive.
Vision for Development
- Naya Raipur would be a ‘green city’ in every sense of the term. Large areas would be brought under tree plantation - Arrangements for water conservation and waste water recycling - Use of non-conventional energy resources to the maximum.
- Naya Raipur would reflect the rich heritage and culture of Chhattisgarh and India, in its urban design and architecture. Special efforts would be taken to make it a people friendly and visitor friendly city.
- City design would promote sense of security and comfort among its citizens, especially women, children and the physically challenged.
The main activity base of Naya Raipur would be the Government / State Capital functions. However, a diversification of economic is desirable which would be attained through the following activities:
- Software Technology Park
- Gems and Jewellery and other similar industries
- Business Offices
- Health, Education and Research services
- Regional recreational activities
- Nandan Van Zoo & Safari
- International Cricket Stadium
- 7 star and 5 star hotels
- 18 Hole golf course and golf villas
- Art gallery and library
- Botanical garden
While venturing to prepare the development plan for Naya Raipur, basic studies were made in the form of a secondary survey of data on Chandigarh (the first capital of independent India) and Raipur, the elder sister and the most important “organic” metropolis in the region. The space quantum against each activity/work-centre was then ascertained going by accepted thumb-rule of the concerned industry/trade/activity, to case of capital complex, and government jobs exact figures were taken into consideration. The resultant space quantum was then allocated on two-dimension on the structure plan and final quantum, shape, location, was defined by exact boundaries/roads on the plan.
With iterations, the allocated spaces were again translated in terms of number of jobs and the total number of job in the city arrived at. With a population of 5.6 lakhs, the Naya Raipur City is expected to generate approximately 2.2 lakh jobs, with an assumed workforce participation rate of 40%. The high standards of physical and social infrastructure adopted for the city will be able to cope with the maximum capacity of the city.
- Length of proposed roads: 225 km
- Construction work on 71 km of road has been started (100m and 60m row)
- Construction Agency: M/s B. Seenaiah & Company(Projects) Limited, Hyderabad
- Project Management Consultancy: M/s Sheldia Associates Inc., USA.
- Architectural Consultants: M/s. Comfort Designers, Hyderabad
- Landscape Consultants: M/s. LNC (Learn Nature Consultants, Raipur)
- Environment Consultants: M/s. LNC (Learn Nature Consultants, Raipur)
The urban design of the new city will incorporate the best of international cities as well as traditional Chhattisgarhculture. Many big malls are also coming up. The design will be a grid pattern city plan. One of the major influences of the design was Kuala Lumpur's new capital complex at Putrajaya.
The site where the Nandan Van Zoo & Safari, Naya Raipur is proposed, is located at 35 km from the main Raipur Junction railway station, 30 km from the Raipur Bus Stand and 15 km from the Swami Vivekananda Airport Raipur. Its gross area is 202.87 Hectare. It is adjacent to the wetted perimeter of perennial Khandwa Dam.
Naya Raipur will form the hub of educational institutions in the state of Chhattisgarh. The city will have premier educational institutions shifted from Raipur. A few of them are:
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur- New building under construction
- Hidayatullah National Law University
- International Institute of Information Technology
Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Cricket Stadium is a new cricket field in the city. It seats 65,000 spectators and was opened in 2008. It is the second largest cricket stadium in India and fourth largest cricket stadium in the world by seating capacity.
Sunil Gavaskar had rated this stadium to as one of the best stadiums in the country and had proposed to utilize it for all types of matches. Irfan Pathan who was in awe of the facilities in the stadium noted that “When opportunities are created, and such facilities are in place, there is the hope that cricketers will emerge.
it later hosted the qualifiers for CLT20,For the first time in CLT20 history the stadium was sold out for qualifying rounds (45000).
Present Status of the Developments:
- More than 90% of the land procured by Naya Raipur Development Authority in Naya Raipur. First Phase of Road network includes three spine roads completed.
- Raipur International Cricket Stadium and Hidayatullah National Law University Campus is already operational
- Water supply scheme is awarded on PPP basis.
- Construction of Capitol Complex (Secretariat) is under final stages of completion and all administrative work is expected to be shifted to Naya Raipur by the end of 2011.
- Chhattisgarh Housing Board is constructing 2500 houses, which are already allotted
- Gems & Jewelry SEZ is awarded to private developer for implementation,
- Establishment of New railway station for Naya Raipur was approved in Indian Railway in budget of 2010.
- Land has been allotted to Army RHQ, BSF RHQ, Banks and many central, state govt. departments & PSUs.
- Heart Hospital for cardiac services along with Child Heart Care is constructed.
- Super Specialty Cancer Hospital and Research Centre by Vedanta group is under
- Central Park, Naya Raipur is a public urban park.
- Land has been allotted for Indian Institute of Management (IIM).
- IIIT has been proposed for establishment.
- BRTS is sanctioned for implementation in Naya Raipur.
- Star Hotel and Convention Centre with a capacity of 1000 pax is under implementation by NRDA through Public Private Partnership.
- Projects like Knowledge Park, Amusement Park, CBD office complex has been finalised in new capital city.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- http://iiitnr.ac.in/ International Institute of Information Technology
- TNN Nov 27, 2012, 12.00PM IST (2012-11-27). "Half marathon in Naya Raipur - TOI". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- Naya Raipur city portal website
- Naya Raipur Development Authority
- Nature Consultants, Raipur