This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nayyar is a surname from the region of Punjab. The people who bear the name are Khatris belonging to the Sareen sub-group. The surname Nayyar drives basic origin from Kunjah in Gujrat District of Western Punjab (Now Pakistan) abutting to River Chenab area. A large number of Nayyars come from the Jalandhar District (a large number of them still live in Nurmahal in a region named Nijjaran Mohalla, and Ludhiana and Dasuya ( Distt Hoshiarpur)of Eastern Punjab. " The "JATHERE" of Nayyar's is situated at cheema road, Noormahal also known as sati Mata Mandir. Nayyars can also be Kshatriyas. Late Captain Anuj Nayar fought for India and is a war hero who will always be remembered.
Village historians say that Nayyars were originally Nijjars and Khatri Nijjar's changed their name to "Nayyar" under the suggestion of the British to distinguish themselves from Jatt Nijjars.
Nayyars have been, throughout history regarded as the upper caste and descendants of the Punjabi higher class businessmen, spiritual leaders and royalty. Majority of Nayyars today, are modern day descendants of royal or ruling families across Punjab. Their contributions towards the social, economical and cultural causes in Punjab, earned the caste laurels throughout the state.
Nayyars, were also involved in various causes, for the welfare of the people and their safety and were often feared by the British during the colonial rule . This earned many Nayyars the status of the protectors of the society.
Even in the modern day India and Pakistan, Nayyars have contributed towards the society and have held high respected positions in the community.
Today, a significant population of Nayyars is found in northern Pakistan and India, with a majority in the Indian states of Punjab, Haryana and Delhi and a minority in Jammu and Kashmir, Uttrakhand, Himachal Pradesh and Rajasthan. Nayyars have also made their mark in countries such as Canada, USA, Australia, Japan, Germany, France and Italy and are successful businessmen, statesmen, actors, musicians and leaders.
- Suhail Nayyar, (b. 1989), Indian, Bollywood Actor.
- Dewan Mokham Chand Nayyar, Indian, One of the Distinguished General's of Maharaja Ranjit Singh's Army.
- Dwarka Parsad Nayar, Indian, Engineer in Chief of Undivided Punjab.
- Pyarelal Nayyar, (1899–1982), Indian, Personal secretary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Sushila Nayyar, (1914–2000), Indian, Personal physician of Mahatma Gandhi
- Kuldip Nayyar, (b. 1923), Indian, Journalist.
- O. P. Nayyar, (1926–2007), Indian, Bollywood Director & Composer who worked with Anthony Gonsalves
- Rajat Nayyar, (b. 1972), Indian-Canadian, Known as Roger Nair, Hollywood and Bollywood film maker.
- Hardev Pal Nayyar, Indian, Vir Chakra, Indian Army, 1971 War Hero.
- Captain Anuj Nayyar M.V.C, Indian, Kargil War Hero.
- Shree K. Nayar, Indian, Mathematician who co-created the Oren-Nayar diffuse model.
- Vipin Nayyar, (b. 1984), British-Indian, Realestate agent, Property Developer and featured on the BBC's 'Homes Under Hammer'.
- Kunal Nayyar, (b. 1981), British-Indian, Actor who featured on 'The Big Bang Theory'.
- Nair is from the southern region of Kerala
|This article about an Indian ethnicity or social group is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|