Nayatt Point Light
Nayatt Point Lighthouse
Nayatt Point Lighthouse, ca. late 1800s
|Location||Barrington, Rhode Island|
|MPS||Lighthouses of Rhode Island TR|
|NRHP Reference #||87001694 |
|Added to NRHP||February 25, 1988|
Nayatt Point Light is a historic lighthouse in Barrington, Rhode Island.
The current light was built of brick in 1856 and contains an 1828 keeper's house. The lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
On May 23, 1828, the United States Congress appropriated $3,500 for a lighthouse to mark the narrow passage between Nayatt Point and a shoal extending from Conimicut Point." Required by law to accept the lowest bid for the project, the government was forced to enter into the contract with William Halloway and Westgate Watson for the construction regardless of the qualifications of the contractors. This obligation was confirmed by Stephen Pleasonton of the U.S. Treasury Department, confirming the authorization to enter into the contract with Halloway and Watson. The tower was poorly constructed and was difficult to navigate for the lightkeepers.
List of keepers
This list includes known keepers, but may not be exhaustive.
|John M. Carrie||1845-1849|||
|Lewis B. Smith||1849-1852|||
|Noel A. Mathewson||1852-1853|||
|A. W. Tripp||1861-1865|||
- List of lighthouses in Rhode Island
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Bristol County, Rhode Island
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- D'Entremont, Jeremy. "History of Nayatt Point Lighthouse, Barrington, Rhode Island". New England Lighthouses. Retrieved Nay 8, 2014. Check date values in:
- "Nayatt Point, RI". Lighthouse Friends. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nayatt Point Light.|
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Registered Historic Place in Bristol County, Rhode Island is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|