View of Nazaré
Location of Nazaré in Bahia
|• Mayor||Eunice Soares Barreto Peixoto|
|• Total||107.6 sq mi (278.6 km2)|
|Elevation||128 ft (39 m)|
|Time zone||UTC -3|
Nazaré, also known as Nazaré das Farinhas, is a municipality in the state of Bahia in the North-East region of Brazil. The municipality has a population of 29,546 with a population density of 107 inhabitants per square kilometer. It is located 110 km (68 mi) from the state capital of Bahia, Salvador. Nazaré is within the Bahian Recôncavo, an interior region of the state of Bahia. It borders the municipalities of Muniz Ferreira, Aratuípe, Jaguaripe, São Felipe, and Maragogipe. The Jaguaripe River crosses through the middle of the town. It is sits on the intersection of two Bahian state highways, BA-001 and BA-046..
Nazaré was settled by the Tupinambá people. Portuguese settlers arrived in the second half of the sixteenth century. Fernão Cabral de Ataíde settled on the right bank of the Jaguaripe River, and called the settlement the Sesmaria de Jaguaripe.
Nazaré is noted for its production of palm oil, cachaça, and ceramics. The town also supports a small fishing industry.
- Chapel of Our Lady of the Conception (Igreja Matriz de Nossa Senhora de Nazaré)
- Chapel of Our Lady of Nazareth at Camamu (Igreja de Nossa Senhora de Nazaré de Camamú)
- Chapel of Our Lady of the Conception (Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Conceição)
The Cine Teatro Rio Branco is the oldest functioning cinema in Brazil.
- "Nazaré" (in Portuguese). Brasília, Brazil: Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics). 2017. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Nazaré, BA" (in Portuguese). São Paulo, Brazil: Guia do Turismo Brasil Guia do Turismo Brasil. 2017. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "BENS TOMBADOS E PROCESSOS DE TOMBAMENTO EM ANDAMENTO (Atualização: 25.11.2016)" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Instituto do Patrimônio Histórico e Artístico Nacional. 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
|This Bahia, Brazil location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|