Nazir Ahmed (physicist)
1 May 1898|
Lahore, Punjab, British India
(now in Punjab, Pakistan)
|Died||30 September 1973
Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
|Institutions||Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC),
Technological Laboratory, India
Federal Bureau of Statistics
|Alma mater||Muhammadan Anglo-Oriental College, British India
University of Cambridge, UK
|Doctoral advisor||Ernest Rutherford|
|Known for||Nuclear power generation programme|
|Notable awards||Gold Medal From Pakistan Academy of Sciences.|
Nazir Ahmed (or Nazir Ahmad), OBE (1 May 1898, Lahore – 30 September 1973, Karachi) was a Pakistani experimental physicist and a chairman of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) from 1956 to 1960.
Nazir Ahmed obtained his B.Sc. in physics from Muhammadan Anglo-Oriental College, Aligarh in 1919. He attended the University of Cambridge, UK, under the supervision of Ernest Rutherford. There he received his M.Sc. in 1923, and PhD in experimental physics in 1925. In 1930, Ahmed came back to India, where he was appointed assistant director at the Technological Laboratory, Central Cotton Committee of India, and became its director after one year. In 1945, he was appointed member of the Indian Tariff Board. After the partition of India, Ahmed migrated to Pakistan, where he held various positions, such as joint secretary of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and the Pakistan Development Board. In 1956 he became the first chairman of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) until 1960.
Ahmed was involved in efforts to build a heavy water plant at Multan, but the Pakistan Industrial Development Corporation turned down his request. In 1960, he was transferred to Ministry of Science and Technology under the administeration of President Ayub Khan.
- An elected member of Pakistan Academy of Sciences, 1953-1970.
Award named after Nazir Ahmad
- Dr. Nazir Ahmad Award, Pakistan Academy of Sciences.
- Tubewell Theory and Practice, printed in Pakistan Academy of Sciences in 1979.
- Survey of Fuels & Electric Power Resources in Pakistan. Nazir Ahmad (1972).
- Adeel Khan (7 June 2001). "history of Pakistan's Nuclear Power Industry". Ryerson University. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- I.H. Qureshi (2005). "Recollection from the early days of the PAEC" (PDF). The Nucleus. 42 (1–2): 7–11.
- A. Gill (2006). "Pakistani Nuclear Program 1-5". Owl's Tree. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- "Pakistan: Nuclear Chronology (1953-1970): March 1958". Nuclear Threat Initiative. 2005. Archived from the original on 8 October 2008. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- http://www.paspk.org/fellow10.htm Archived 20 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine.