Location in Apache County and the state of Arizona
|• Total||7.46 sq mi (19.32 km2)|
|• Land||7.45 sq mi (19.30 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.02 km2)|
|Elevation||6,240 ft (1,902 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||N/A|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||0008549|
Nazlini (Navajo: Názlíní) is a census-designated place (CDP) in Apache County, Arizona, United States. The population was 489 at the 2010 census. Nearby are Nazlini Creek and Nazlini Canyon. Nazlini Canyon is the site of many Native American ruins and campsites which were abandoned when erosion made them unusable.
Nazlini is located at (35.914641, -109.464097).
As of the census of 2000, there were 397 people, 101 households, and 76 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 53.1 people per square mile (20.5/km²). There were 129 housing units at an average density of 17.2/sq mi (6.7/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 99.24% Native American and 0.76% from other races. 1.76% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 101 households out of which 45.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.7% were married couples living together, 35.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.8% were non-families. 22.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.89 and the average family size was 4.68.
In the CDP, the age distribution of the population shows 46.3% under the age of 18, 10.8% from 18 to 24, 22.7% from 25 to 44, 13.6% from 45 to 64, and 6.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 19 years. For every 100 females there were 93.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $11,484, and the median income for a family was $10,859. Males had a median income of $22,000 versus $10,417 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $5,036. About 74.1% of families and 73.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 79.5% of those under age 18 and 35.3% of those age 65 or over.
Some areas considered to be "Nazlini" are served by the Ganado Unified School District. The area is served by Ganado Primary School, Ganado Intermediate School, Ganado Middle School, and Ganado High School. Others areas considered to be "Nazlini" are served by the Chinle Unified School District. Chinle High School serves those areas.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 18, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Nazlini CDP, Arizona". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- Byrd H. Granger (1960). Arizona Place Names. University of Arizona Press. p. 17. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.