Near North Career Metropolitan High School
|Near North Career Metro High School|
|1450 N. Larrabee Street
Chicago, Illinois, 60610
|School type||Public Secondary Magnet|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Yearbook||The Near North Metro|
Near North Career Metropolitan High School (also known as Near North Career Magnet High School) was a public 4–year vocational magnet high school located in the Old Town neighborhood on the Near North Side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. It was part of the Chicago Public Schools district. Near North served as a replacement for Edwin G. Cooley Vocational High School, a Chicago public high school that closed after the 1978–79 school year due to issues within the community and school. The school was in use from 1979 to 2001.
Near North was established in 1977 due to plans to close Cooley Vocational High School because of its low academic performance, poor building condition. The location of the new school was a battle among citizens of the near north side. Whites chose a location north of North Avenue to attract more whites, while blacks chose a site near the Cabrini-Green housing project.
In 1979, the school opened as magnet school that offered majors in 8 vocational career programs (which didn't begin until March 1980). The schools' name changed from Magnet to Metropolitan in 1986.
Closure/building uses and plans
The school closed due to low-enrollment after the 2000–01 school year. The schools' gymnasium and field are used by Jones College Prep athletic teams. The Chicago Police Department (CPD) and Chicago Fire Department (CFD) use the building as a training site.
In July 2010, community activist and Chicago Teachers Union members protested that more school buildings were needed and the building be reopen for public school purpose.
In September 2013, a group of old town and near north side residents started a petition for the city of Chicago to demolish the school building and build a city park on the site.
- Vanderbilt Unoversity: High School Code
- "Near North Magnet School Strives For A Winner`s Image". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- "Old school could help form new Cabrini Near North High School site could add to CHA's portfolio as it rebuilds area". Skyline Newspaper. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- "Old Town Neighbors Eye Shuttered CPS School for Park Space". DNAinfo Chicago. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- Hearings on Carpenter show communities are divided with Ogden community bad mouthing north side general high schools
- Chicago Public Schools Alumni: Near North Career Magnet High School