Nearness of You: The Ballad Book
|Nearness of You: The Ballad Book|
|Studio album by|
|Released||June 19, 2001|
|Producer||Pat Metheny, Steve Rodby|
|Michael Brecker chronology|
Nearness of You: The Ballad Book is the seventh studio album of saxophone player Michael Brecker. Accompanied by Herbie Hancock on piano, Pat Metheny on guitars, Charlie Haden on bass, Jack DeJohnette on drums, and a special guest appearance by James Taylor, the album was released by Verve Records on June 19, 2001.
Brecker was awarded his 8th Grammy for Best Jazz Instrumental Solo on "Chan's Song". James Taylor also won his 4th grammy for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance on "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight". With his win, he became the first American recording artist to garner a win in that category since Michael Bolton in 1992.
|1.||"Chan's Song"||Herbie Hancock||5:15|
|2.||"Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight"||James Taylor||4:43|
|3.||"Nascente"||Murilo Antunes, Flavio Venturini||6:18|
|4.||"Midnight Mood"||Joe Zawinul||6:22|
|5.||"The Nearness of You"||Hoagy Carmichael, Ned Washington||4:37|
|7.||"Sometimes I See"||Pat Metheny||5:26|
|8.||"My Ship"||Kurt Weill, Ira Gershwin||7:10|
|11.||"I Can See Your Dreams"||Brecker||3:50|
- Michael Brecker – tenor saxophone
- Pat Metheny – guitars
- Herbie Hancock – piano
- Charlie Haden – double bass
- Jack DeJohnette – drums
- James Taylor – vocal (on tracks 2 & 5)
|Billboard Top Jazz Albums||5|
2001 - 44th Annual GRAMMY Awards
|2001||Michael Brecker||"Chan's Song"||Best Jazz Instrumental Solo|
|2001||James Taylor||"Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight"||Best Male Pop Vocal Performance|
- Edelstein, Paula. Michael Brecker: Nearness of You: The Ballad Book > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved September 25. 2011.
- "Past Winners Search". GRAMMY.com. Retrieved September 25, 2011.
- "Nearness of You: The Ballad Book - Michael Brecker > Charts & Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved September 25, 2011.